Status: Read, Stay with me... Please!

Look at Me

2.

As Paige led him to the slightly used looking Ford something or other, Hayden tried not to betray his impatience. He tried to act timid and shaky like any stray would. But in all honesty, he wanted to get the hell off his leg! The initial shock was wearing off and it was really starting to throb .There was a low painful pulse beating underneath his skin and he was pretty sure he was going to tear Kevin (Whoever he was.) (Paige’s boyfriend no doubt) into tiny little bits.
His face broke into an unthinking doggy grin at the thought, and Paige said, “That’s right! Com’ere boy. Come on!”
Oh God! He had Triple P -Preppy -Perfect - Paige - on her knees, in the dirt, baby talking him. It would have been funny if it wasn’t so goddamn ironic. Never, in a million years would he have seen this coming. It was like seeing Paris Hilton square dancing. He wanted to laugh, but he was to buys thinking, huh???
When they were close enough, Paige opened the door to the back seat of the car. Then she did something Hayden wasn’t expecting .She wrapped his arms around his waist and pulled up. That was a very bad idea. He felt her grip on him start slipping as she tried to heave him into the vehicle.
“Paige,” he heard a girlishly high male voice shriek. “Are you freaking insane!”
“SHUT UP and help me Dennis,” she said sharply. “This dog weighs a ton!”
Dennis? Dennis Harper! No fuckin way… Hayden thought. Then he caught a glimpse of his pasty “Oh I’m superior” face seconds before he felt Dennis' hands grab him and start tugging.
* * *
The dog let a low grow and twisted awkwardly in Paige’s arms.
“Careful Dennis!” she shouted as he yanked the back end of the animal onto the seat.
“Is he hurt bad?” Terry cooed from the front of the car. She twisted to lean over the console and watch the action with widened blue eyes.
“The action” was Paige wrestling a 70 pound animal into a really small backseat with Dennis squealing every five minutes and Kevin making threatening comments about what would happen if there was so much as a scratch mark on his upholstery. As she heard the ripping sound of nails against fabric, Paige tried to see the humor in the situation. But somehow it just wasn’t funny.
* **
“The Goddamn dog’s drooling Kevin,” Dennis shouted about fifteen minutes into the ride back to Paige’s house.
Hayden face broke into another doggy grin as he let his tongue loll out a little further. He wasn’t actually meaning to drool though. It was just sort of happening and it was getting everywhere. He’d seen Paige wipe her jeans off several times and he heard Kevin muttered from the front seat, “I swear to God if he throws up…”
The empty threat hung in the air and Hayden noticed the way Paige’s mouth twisted upward like she was trying to control a smile.
“So Paige, what should we do? Take him to the animal shelter?” a curly haired girl he recognized as Terry Finch asked after a minute of uncomfortable silence.
“He’s not going to a shelter Terry! Do you have any idea what those places are like?”
Do you? he wondered as she put a protective arm around his furry shoulders.
“OhmiGod you not taking him home!” Terry shrieked. (Hayden had a feeling she did that a lot.) “Your parents will kill kill kILL you!”
“No they will not. They’re out of town. So, I’ll let him spend the night and then I’ll take him to the vet in the morning.”
Which is so much better then an animal shelter, he thought dryly.
“But what if he has like Rabies or something…” Terry mumbled unconvinced.
Paige opened her mouth. (Probably to use the, Do you see him foaming at the mouth? exuse) Then, eying the drool leaking out of Hayden’s mouth, she shut it and looked pointedly out the window.