Status: Read, Stay with me... Please!

Look at Me

40.

What.
The.
Hell…
Paige had just told the game warden that they were “walking their dogs.” All right…that wasn’t a terrible excuse. It might have even worked, if the guy hadn’t called her on it…
Now, he was just standing there…waiting while Paige shouted for her non-existent pet. Terry wondered how long Paige would yell before she broke down and admitted that they didn’t actually own dogs, because the warden did not look like he’d be leaving before he saw some form of four-legged activity.
Rubbed her arms nervously, Terry looked out into the darkening field. Paige was looking out there now as if she actually expected her imaginary dog to come running. She was either a better actress than Terry gave her credit for or she’d gone slightly delusional…

Then Terry thought she heard movement. She started at the sound of something rushing low through the grass. It really sounded like an animal…
But that was impossible; it had to be one of the boys. Terry watched intently as the sound came closer and then…
What.
The.
Hell…

A black dog rushed up to Paige. It was shaking and whining as it wound itself spastically around her legs. Relief broke out on her face as she knelt down and ran her fingers calmingly through the animals midnight fur. The dog sniffed and sneezed at it sat down finally by her side.
“Just waiting for the other one now,” she said smilingly to the warden.
Other one? How was there an other one…There wasn’t even supposed to be a first one! Terry eyed the dog that had shown up disbelievingly and realized that she recognized it. It was the black German Shepherd Kevin had run over. The dog had showed up at Paige’s back door the night Hayden had run off…
And as she was marveling at it’s absolutely un explainable presence, Terry noticed Paige was calling their supposed second dog. Which wasn’t going to show up, was it?
Terry suddenly wished they had come out into the woods for some terrible illicit teenager reason, because even though she didn’t do weird, she had a strong feeling weird was about to happen anyway. Her intuition didn’t fail her. Seconds later a large silver dog ran out of the darkness….

Paige made a strange strangled coughing noise in her throat when the dog appeared. Her smile seemed forced this time and Terry would swear she looked a little afraid.
“Well,” she said to the glorified animal cop, “There he is so we’ll be going now.”
She had a gentle guiding hand on the black dogs back so Terry [It seemed like a good idea] walked over to the silver one and put her hand on its scruff. She gathered up the loose hair there and tugged the dog toward the car.

***

Gabriel resisted the urge to snap at Terry’s hand as she dragged him like he was actually the animal he represented. It wasn’t like he couldn’t see the goddamn car! He knew what direction to go.
Unless…
Did Paige’s dimwitted friend still not know what was going on?
Gabriel looked at the black German Shepherd the angelic girl in front of him was walking with. [Not pulling ruthlessly by its hair!] That would be Hayden. What was going on was really rather obvious. Two boys went in. Two dogs came out. It didn’t take a lot of brainpower to figure that one, but maybe a little more then the annoying chick possessed. Or maybe she was just in complete and absolute denial. It wouldn’t be surprising to find out she was the type of person who couldn’t see something that was two inches in front of her face.
Again, Gabriel looked forward to seeing the expression on her face. He also looked forward to speaking with Hayden now that they’d both proved to each other exactly what they were. Animals…
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow number 40. Lolz, thanks for anybody reading this or subscribing. ;] And I love my commenters to death. =] Annie