Harsh Reality

Chapter One

Kayla’s POV:

“Why are you still with him?” Jack asked me as Ethan walked away from us.

“He said he was sorry,” I shrugged, trying to be nonchalant about it.

“For what, like, the seventh time?” Jack sighed. “When are you going to realize he doesn’t care about you?”

“He does,” I said. “He just makes mistakes a lot,” He shook his head.

“Whatever you say, Kay,”

This happened a lot. Ethan would cheat on me, Jack would get mad, and try to get me to break up with him. Ethan would apologize the next day and say he won’t do it again, and I would take him back. Then Jack would lecture me on how I can do much better, like he just did.

I tried to act like I didn’t care, but I did. I wasn’t going to leave Ethan, because he kept me stable. I used to love him, before the cheating started. After the second time he cheated, everything started going downhill.

But Jack was the one who I could depend on. Ethan may keep me stable, but Jack keeps me happy. I could call Jack at anytime, and he’d be answer, for whatever reason.

I won’t deny it; I have a little thing for Jack. I have ever since I met him, to be honest. I loved the way he could always make me laugh, and he didn’t care what people thought of him. He was a child at heart, and always knew the right thing to say. I had liked him even while I was falling for Ethan.

Nobody knew that, though. I knew Jack didn’t feel the same way about me, so I wasn’t going to put myself out there and embarrass myself.

“So, what do you say me and you play Life at my house after school?”

“Okay,” I agreed, smiling. “Are you going to have a lesbian couple again?” I asked, laughing.

“Maybe,” He winked.

“You’re so strange,”

“But you love it,” True.

I rolled my eyes. “Where’s Alex?” I questioned.

“Not sure,” He shrugged. “But that doesn’t matter, ‘cause you love me more than Alex,” Once again, true.

Alex was another one of my best friends, as well. But Jack was my friend first. I could tell Alex knew I had a little crush on Jack, but he never said anything about it, and I was glad about that. I didn’t want to have to explain it to Alex, because I knew he would go and blab it all to Jack.

“Did you eat breakfast this morning?” Jack asked randomly. He asked me that all the time.

“Yeah,” I lied. I didn’t usually eat. All of the girls Ethan cheated on me with were usually obnoxiously thin, so I was trying to look like them.

“You sure? You look like you haven’t eaten in a while,” He pressed. Jack had once caught me purging, and has been worried ever since. I still did it, just not as much.

“I’m fine Jack, don’t worry,” I reassured him.

“Just making sure my best friend is healthy,” He slung his arm around my shoulder and led me down the hallway.