Confessions of a Dirt Poor Romantic

Abandonment

"Kia, please don't go," I screamed as I started to chase after my now ex-girlfriend through the kitchen.

Kia swiped her purse off of the counter, taking a bottle of olive oil with it. I winced when six dollars worth of oil and glass spread across the shiny hardwood floor. "I've had enough of this, Shane," she said as she walked toward the door. It was the fourth time this year that a girl had said that to me. I have this incredible ability to date girls who live well beyond my means.

I ran after her, not caring that I crushed some of the broken glass. "Kia. You know I'd do anything for you."

She whipped her jacket off of the couch and right before her hand touched the door handle she turned around with vengeance in her dark eyes. "No, I don't. Because if that were true then you would have by now. Like tonight. When you said that you were taking me for Italian I thought that you were going to actually take me to a restaurant. Not have you cook some crappy food at one of your dumbass friend's apartments."

"Don't call my friends that." My eyes were slightly narrowed. I thought that I loved the girl, but she went too far, saying stuff like that about my friends.

Kia rolled her eyes. "I'll call them what they are. Besides, I deserve better than this." With that she spun on her spiky red heel and walked out of my life, blonde hair flowing like a cape. The door slammed and, thankfully, nothing else broke.

I sighed. Kia was right: she did deserve better than me. I grabbed the phone out of my pocket and dialed the same number that I had called earlier that day.

"Hullo?"

"Hey Henri."

"Again? Let me guess. She wanted you to take her out and have some overpaid 'professional' cook her meal instead of an underpaid cook like you?"

A small smile found its way to my lips. "You got it. And she broke some of my olive oil."

"Shit. You want me to come help you clean it up?" he asked.

"Nah, I just wanted to let you know that you'll be getting your place back soon. I can get this all cleaned up before you get back," I said as the smile slipped away again. Henry hung up and I walked to the kitchen pantry to get a mop, broom and dustpan.

Dating kinda sucks when you're low on money.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sounds fun, doesn't it? Enjoy.