‹ Prequel: These Lives Of Ours.

Nothing Is Ever Perfect

[i] It's true they say, that nothing is ever perfe

We were sitting around watching T.V when suddenly the buss started to jerk forward. We all had to scramble to grab something stable and I heard a scream come from the front of the bus. Logic presented itself and I assumed we’d been in a car accident. I hoped everyone else was all right.

“Hey Ry. You ok?” I looked around at everyone trying to keep their balance. The bus was on a slight angle and I realized I was the only one who was actually knocked off my feet. “Yeah…I’m good. Where’s Chip?” Everyone’s faces dropped and went pale. If it weren’t such a sad situation it would have been comical. “SHIT!” Brendon yelled, running out to the front of the bus. “SOMEBODY FUCKING CALL 911!!” I heard him yell back and I didn’t waste any time. I dialled the number and handed the sidekick to Spencer. I had to see what happened.

I walked off the bus and gasped when I saw two people lying on the road. One was our bus driver, Alex. Blood was coming from a gash in his head and he looked pretty beat up. There was a piece of glass stuck near his head wound and I was afraid to try to get it out. The other person was Chip. She didn’t look as bad but she was unconscious as well. Probably from smacking her head off the pavement. She had a few minor cuts here and there and her arm was in an odd angle. I guess the hat she always wears shielded from any serious cuts.

I heard sirens in the distance and soon three ambulances pulled up. One stopped at the FOB bus and the other two stopped right beside me. Two paramedics got out and walked up to where Chip was lying limp in my arms. “Does she have any family here?” The one asked. I nodded and pointed to Brendon and I. I couldn’t speak. I was at a loss for words. “You two, get in the back. The rest of you will have to meet your friends at the hospital.” We nodded and hopped in as Alex was taken away in the other ambulance. There was a question burning in the back of my mind as we drove to the hospital. Who was in the third car?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat around in the waiting room with Brendon. The tension was deadly, and I just wanted to scream at the next person who walked by. We wanted to hear about FOB but we couldn’t just leave Chip and Alex here. So we were stuck until one of them woke up.

“Mr. Ross and Mr. Urie?” We both stood up and nodded. “Chip’s fine. She’s awake and you may go in and see her.” It felt like a huge brick had been lifted off my shoulders and we walked into Chip’s room. She sat on the hospital bed, looking absolutely perfect…well…except for her arm. It looked really sore and the area around the cast was quite red and swollen.

“Is it broken?” I asked, staring at the big white cast surrounding her left arm. “Unfortunately. But no biggy, just a bone it’ll heal.” I had to laugh. She’d just been thrown out the front window of a car and her only response was ‘no biggy’.

-------------------------

I stared at Brendon and Ryan. There were so many questions I wanted to ask, and it didn’t help that I had a pounding headache. “Where’s everyone else?” I started, figuring I’d deal with the pounding later. “Back at the bus. Someone from Fall Out Boy is here though.” Ryan answered, making me really nervous. “W-w-who?” “We don’t know yet.” I jumped up from the bed but, unfortunately, was quickly pushed back down. (Well…not pushed but…you know what I mean.)

“I’m sorry Miss. Urie but you can’t leave here until we’re sure you’re well enough to leave.” I pouted and sunk back into the bed. It wasn’t fair. I was perfectly fine. The only thing wrong with me was this throbbing fucking head! “Ryan. Will you PLEASE go find out if the others are ok?” He nodded and left the room. Brendon stayed with me. Trying to keep me from sneaking out of the room.

----------------------------------------

I walked into the hall way and up to the reception desk. “Hi, my names…” I didn’t get to finish. “Ryan Ross. What can I do for you?” I smiled when I saw a Panic! At The Disco pin hidden under her scrubs. At least now I wouldn’t have to spend any time explaining why I needed to see Pete. “I’m looking for the members of Fall Out Boy.” She directed me to the third floor, second room on the left.

I walked up and started to get nervous when I didn’t see Pete standing outside with the others. He couldn’t possibly be the one who was taken away by the ambulance! He was tough; he was strong! There was no way he was in there.

“G-g-guys?” I asked…or more like stuttered. I couldn’t really keep a track of my thoughts. They were swirling around and taking over my mind. The three guys just gave me a sad look and pointed to the hospital room. I didn’t want to go in. I didn’t want to face the truth, but I had to. I had to make sure Pete was all right.

I walked into the room and almost started crying right then and there. Lying on he hospital bed was a very pale and sick looking Pete. His eyes were closed and his face was twisted in a look of pain. There was a white gauze bandage on his head that was stained badly with blood. You could faintly see the outline of the cut through all the cloth. He was hooked up to multiple monitors and at least two I.V’s.

I slowly backed out of the room. This was all too much to handle. Pete was unconscious. It was crazy. There was no way he could really be here. “Hey Ry. You gonna be ok?” I turned to face Patrick, Joe, and Andy. “I…I…I have to go get Chip.” I shook my head and bounded down the stairs, taking them two at a time. I nearly knocked over a nurse as I rounded the corner and barged into Chip’s room.

------------------------------

Ryan came bounding into the room, looking like he’d just seen a ghost. “Oh god what happened?” I asked, launching myself off the hospital bed. I didn’t care what nurse “I have a stick up my ass” had to say, I was going to make sure everything was all right. “It’s Pete…he’s…in pretty rough shape.” I nodded and the three of us ran up the stairs, avoiding the nurse who was yelling at us to come back. I was scared to see what was happening to Pete.

((A/N: I need you all to turn on Untitled by Simple Plan right now. (Sorry Katie, I stole this from you, but I need this song) If you don’t have it then you can find it on you tube. I think it fits the scene. DO NOT START READING UNTIL THE SINGING OF THE CHORUS STARTS! Do not skip through the first part. You need to hear the first part of the song. I just don’t want you to start singing till the chorus. Thanks guys. Ily all.))

I walked into the room and suddenly everything stopped. Life itself stopped. Pete was unconscious, he was sick; he could be dying. “Excuse me are you family of Mr. Wentz?” Ryan and I nodded but Brendon was ushered out of the room. “Is he going to be all right?” I asked, tears threatening my eyes. “I’m sorry but…there’s nothing we can do. He suffered severe trauma to the head. He’s not going to make it.” I broke down crying. Things were finally going our way! How could he die? After all this time. After all we’ve gone through. There was no way we could be taken away from Pete, so why was Pete being taken away from us?

“There has to be something you can do for him!” Ryan demanded. The doctor just shook his head. “We’ve done everything we can. Even if we could bring him back, he’d have severe brain damage. It would be a horrible life. The best thing we can do for him is let nature take it’s course.” I stared it disbelief. This man, once so full of life and spirit, would be a vegetable if we could save him. That wasn’t fair! He shouldn’t be suffering like this!

“We can’t get a hold of any of his family. We’re going to need your permission to take him off life support.” I was so upset. I couldn’t believe it was up to us to kill Pete, but we couldn’t keep him here forever. “I’ll sign it.” Ryan muttered scribbling his name as the doctor shut down all the machines. Pete was dead. Our father, our mentor, and our best friend was dead. He did everything for us, and we didn’t have any way to save his life. He had almost gone to jail trying to protect us from the bad in the world. Why was he suffering? This was so unfair. “Can…can we have a moment alone?” Ryan asked. The doctor nodded and left the room.

“This is so unfair.” I mumbled, letting the tears flow freely. Ryan was crying, but it was silent. Like he was afraid to cry. “It’ll be alright.” He whispered, putting an arm around my shoulder. I knew it wasn’t true. I knew nothing would be all right, but I had to believe him. It was just the two of us now. Sure I had parents, but I didn’t love them. Not like I loved Pete. He was my dad he was my parent. No one could replace him. “I think we should go.” I nodded and we stood up, staring awkwardly at the lifeless body that lay before us. Such a wonderful person was gone from the world, and he truly was wonderful. “Bye Pete.” I whispered, smiling a little. Comforted by the fact that at least he was happy with his life when he died.