Watch the City Burn

11

BRIANNA'S POINT OF VIEW.

"Just take those old records off the shelf. I'll sit and listen to em by myself. Today's music ain't got the same soul. I like that old time rock n roll." I groaned, answering my phone groggily.

"Hello?" I said, yawning.

"OH MY GOD, BRI!" A voice screeched, startling me. I jumped.

"What the fuck, Tor? I just woke up."

"Oh, sorry." She said sheepishly, growing quiet. I sighed.

"What happened?" She squealed loudly. I winced, pulling the phone away from my ear. "Are you finished?"

"Yes." She said quickly.

"Explanation, please?"

"Hekissedme."

"Eh?"

"JACOBY KISSED ME!"

"For real?" I said, suddenly excited and awake as I sat up. "When? Where? Why? How?"

"Yesterday, my room, I dunno, on my lips?" I laughed.

"Is he a good kisser?"

"More like amazing." She sighed dreamily. "I think I'm in love." I rolled my eyes. "Don'tchu roll your eyes at me."

"Too late." I yawned.

"D'aw. Go back to sleep, lovely."

"You don't have to tell me twice." I hung up, flopping backwards. The phone went off again. I groaned. "What now?"

"I forgot to ask." Tori said. "What's happening at the house of Joel?" I hesitated. She gasped. "I'M COMING TO GET YOU! IF YOU'RE PREGNANT, SO HELP ME GOD." The line promptly went dead. I chucked the phone at the wall, rolling over and snuggling into Joel's pillow. He had disappeared. I shrugged it off, closing my eyes.

****

"BRI?" A voice yelled.

"Hey-ow! What the hell, Tori?!"

"BRI! I'M HERE TO SAVE YOU!" I covered my head with the pillow. She's so embarrassing. "Bri Bri!" A voice said, before somebody pounced on me.

"Tori." I whined. "I'm sleeping."

"Not anymore." She shook her head, grinning. "Up, up. Time to go." She poked me. "Rapido, mija, rapido."

"Dejame solo."

"RAPPPPIDOOOO!"

"Usted es una puta." I grumbled. She gasped.

"Oh, you did not go there." She said, accent dropping back to American.

"Oh, but I did. Let me sleep." I heard sniffling.

"Fine." Her voice cracked. "But, can you at least tell me when the baby's due? I DESERVE THAT MUCH!" She sobbed loudly. I sighed, sitting up and hugging her.

"There, there." I patted her back. "I'm not even pregnant." She pulled away.

"Oh. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Cause you hung up." Her face fell.

"Right." She laughed awkwardly.

"Solo usted, Tori." I laughed.

*****

"Joel, baby. How's it hangin?" I asked, plopping down next to him on the sofa. He cocked an eyebrow. "What?" I asked innocently.

"What are you up to?"

"Why am I always up to something?"

"When are you not?" I paused.

"Touché." He smiled. I stared blankly at him.

"What?" He asked, shifting uncomfortably under my stare. I leaned in close to his face, running my hand down his chest.

"Nothing." I whispered. He swallowed, lips parting and eye lids drooping. He leaned in, capturing my lips with his. I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck as his tongue grazed my lip.

Oh, to be a fool in love.

Unknown to me, a man was knocking on Tori's front door. A very familiar man....