Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

Murky waters.

Elise was in the library with Hermione, Ron, and Harry. They had asked her to help them with the challenge. Apparently, Harry found out that it was a mermaid challenge. Elise didn’t know how to help him here; the enchantments he would need to pass this were far beyond his level. She didn’t even learn the bubble head until she was in her fifth year, and Harry was far too high strung at the moment to learn any new spells.

A first year approached them. “Miss Granger, Mister Weasley, Professor Dumbledore requests that you come to his office immediately.” He said, stumbling over his words. Hermione rolled her eyes. “Well, alright. We’ll see you in the morning, Harry.” Hermione said. Ron waved, and the two were off. Elise yawned. “Well, I’d best be going to bed; I’m so tired. Bye Harry.” She said. Harry offered a small wave, and she was off.

She was going down the hallway when she heard some whispers. She recognized the girl whispering as the polite girl from Hufflepuff who she’d borrowed a quill from in Transfiguration; Natalie was her name. She was walking with a girl from Ravenclaw, Elizabeth. “Hi Natalie.” Elise said politely. Natalie’s friend scowled at her. Sensing she was unwelcome, she briskly walked away.

“Did you hear? She stole Angelina Johnson’s boyfriend. It’s terrible, isn’t it? Swept him away with that veela charm.” Elizabeth sneered. Natalie shuffled uncomfortably. “You know, she’s very sweet, Liz. I don’t see her stealing Fred Weasley from Angelina. Besides, Fred and Angelina have been on the rocks since fifth year. I heard Fred’s known Elise for a very long time too.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. “Nat, she’s half veela. Obviously, she used some of her veela charm to get to him. Cora, that girl from Slytherin, heard so.” She said. Natalie rolled her eyes. “Since when have you believed Cora Harvey?” she asked. Liz rolled her eyes once again. “Since the half breed veelas have been storming our school! Goodness, even my own boyfriend has been staring off at them for a long time!”

Natalie rolled her eyes. “Come on, Liz. Not all of them are veela.” She pointed out. At this point, Elise turned towards them. “Natalie, I mean no harm to you, seeing as you’re a very kind person, but Elizabeth, what are you playing at?” she snapped. Liz shrugged. “Come on, everyone’s been talking about you stealing Angelina’s boyfriend. Come off it.” She said. Elise flicked her tongue. “If you must know, Fred Weasley and I have been very close friends since we were five! He was already broken up with Angelina when we got together, and I was already broken up with George.” She snapped.

Someone approached them from behind. “Leave her alone, guys.” Elise turned and saw Angelina. “She’s right. Come on, Elise.” The two walked away.

“I thought you hated me.” Elise whimpered. Angelina laughed. “I hated you because you were prettier than me. But honestly, I do like you. You’re a nice person. I always knew Fred and I were never going to be together for long; we’re too much like brother and sister. But you and Fred have got something.”

Elise smiled, and so did Angelina. This was the start of a new friendship; Elise could just feel it coming on.

*~*~*~*

The next morning, Elise found Harry sitting at breakfast glumly. “What’s wrong Harry?” she asked. He sighed. “Hermione and Ron have disappeared. I tried looking for them this morning, but they’ve gone off. Cho Chang and Gabrielle Delacour are missing too.”

Elise’s breath caught. Gabrielle, the little girl whom she had known since she was a baby, was disappeared? Elise stared across the great hall, and saw Fleur sitting there anxiously. The other girls were comforting her in French. “Vat it said zat it vould take something special to me!” Fleur cried. “Ze ‘ave taken my Gabrielle, I know it!”

At this event, Elise was allowed to sit with Fred, George, Angelina, Lee, Katie, and Alicia close to the water. It was freezing, and Elise hadn’t brought a hat. Angelina, who was now being friendlier to her, lent her one. Ginny appeared and sat next to Fred and Elise. “No sight of Ron.” She said. Elise saw the worry in all of the Weasley’s.

Suddenly, it dawned on her. “They’ve taken something they’ll sorely miss…oh my God.” She said, covering her mouth. “Hermione, Ron, Gabrielle.” She said. George looked at her. “What is it, Elise?” he asked.

“George, they’ve charmed four people and sent them to the bottom of the black lake where the merpeople live! It’s the people they’re fondest of! They’ve taken Cho, because she’s Cedric’s girlfriend. They’ll have taken Hermione because Viktor likes her. For Harry, they’ve taken down Ron, well because he’s his best mate! And Gabrielle…oh God, they’ve taken Gabrielle because Fleur loves no one more than her sister.”

Angelina, Katie, and Alicia gasped. “But…it said that in one hour…it said they won’t come back.” Ginny started to sniffle, and Fred and George stood up. Elise made them sit back down. “Don’t tell Harry; it’ll only make him nervous and he’ll break down.” She hissed.

Inside, she was praying to God that everyone emerged alive.

*~*~*~*

“It’s been half an hour.” Fred moaned. Elise rubbed his shoulder. Suddenly, a head bobbed out. She stood up; it was Fleur, being dragged out by two officials. Elise ran down from the stand to the dock, where Fleur was shaking. Her lips were turning blue. “Fleur!” Elise cried. She stood up and hugged her.

They rushed her into a bathrobe, and Madame Maxime magically dried her off. Still, she shivered. “I vas attacked by grindylows.” She cried. “I am so stupid! I should ‘ave known!” Elise did her best to comfort her as the time ticked by.

A minute out of the hour time line, Cedric emerged with Cho in his arms. He hoisted her up and jumped out of the water. His friends congratulated him. Fleur pulled herself away from Elise and ran to Cedric, who was shaking his hair and patting his father’s back. “Cedric, ‘ave you seen my sister?” she asked. Cedric nodded. “Yeah, she was down there; why aren’t you there?” he asked.

She broke down, and Elise helped her up. “She was attacked by grindylows.” She said grimly. Cedric’s mouth hung open. “I knew I should’ve taken her up! I thought Fleur would reach the village first though; she was far ahead of me when I last saw her!” he said guiltily.

Next, Viktor bobbed up. Hermione was gasping for air, and Elise helped her up.

And finally, after eons of time, Harry emerged holding two people by their collars. His face was scratched up. “Gabrielle!” Fleur screamed, running for her sister. Gabrielle was sobbing, and she reached for her sister. “Fleur! Fleur!” She took her and they embraced each other. Fleur looked to Harry. “Goodness, ‘Arry, I don’t know how to thank you.” She said, kissing his cheeks. You ‘elped too!” she said, looking to Ron. She kissed his cheeks also.

Hermione flew at them. “You’re okay!” she yelled, hugging them and kissing their cheeks. Ron looked back to Harry. “You git! You’ve finished third because you decided to play hero! We weren’t in any danger; Dumbledore told us that we’d be retrieved if our rescuer didn’t make it!” Ron said, smacking upside his head.

“Harry deserves first; he proved his bravery by fighting off merpeople to save lives.” Elise said strongly.

Apparently, the judges saw the same thing. Harry was given second place, knocking Viktor back. “I deserve no points.” Fleur declared emotionally, kissing her sister’s head.