Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

I prefer beaters.

It was a light, springy day, and Elise was sitting in a courtyard with a bunch of Hufflepuffs. Now that her dispute with the seventh years was over, she was enjoying the company of them. Cedric was always fun to be around, and he proved himself a trustworthy friend. He got her out of a tight spot when she forgot to study for the Transfiguration examination.

“I’m so glad our NEWTS are being put off until next fall; we can take them at the ministry if we choose to.” Cedric said lazily, basking in the sun. Elise was in her free period; many of the seventh years had their free period this time also. “Say, where’s your boyfriend?” he added. Elise removed her silk capelet and slung it around her bag. “Potions class, I suppose.” She said. “It’s the only class I don’t have with them.”

Cedric lay back down on the bench. “I heard you were an exceptional student back at Beauxbatons. What are you doing here then, if you don’t mind me asking?” Elise smiled. “Madame wanted me to come as an exchange student, but I’ve received a letter from my mother that she plans to move back to Ottery St. Catchpole when I return. She loves it in Britain; it’s just my father obtained a job in France. Now we’re moving back and father is starting his job at the ministry.”

Cedric flashed a brilliant smile. “Wonderful! I live in Ottery myself. I live on the other side, though, so we probably never met as children.” Cedric was one of the only ones who knew she had grown up in Ottery St. Catchpole. “We could hang out all the time! You, me, Cho, and Fred could double date.” He said. Elise laughed. “Of course.”

Suddenly, Viktor came along. Cedric sat up. “Viktor, how are you?” he asked, shaking hands with him. Viktor gave both of them a toothy smile. “Ah, I ‘ave been okay. Classes are overbearing; I’d much rather be playing Quidditch.” He said. Cedric laughed. “Me too. Maybe you, me, and Potter could play a match someday.” Krum nodded. “You must come to my home in Bulgaria. I ‘ave a Quidditch pitch in my backyard.” He said.

Elise looked up. “Count me in. I’ve played chaser in my better years.” She grinned. Both Cedric and Viktor stared at her. “You play?” Viktor asked. She nodded her head. “Yeah, I learned how to ride a broom when I was six. Played chaser for a local children’s league for a while; dreadfully boring when you can’t bash people. When we moved to France, I wasn’t allowed to play. I used to zoom around my old hometown on a toy broomstick all day.”

Cedric burst out laughing. “Now I remember you! You’re the little girl who broke the window of the Lovegood’s house! I saw it myself!” he said, laughing. Elise giggled. “Yeah, that was me.”

Krum smiled. “Then you, Cedric, Harry, and the Weasley family should join me over the summer, yah?” he said. The two nodded. “Excellent. Elise, may I have a word?” he asked. Elise waved to Cedric, and joined Viktor under a tree.

“Yes Viktor?” she asked, blinking. He shuffled his feet. “As an international Quidditch star, I am used to women…as you should say, throwing themselves at me. However, I feel differently about one of your friends.” He said nervously. Elise stared at him. “Fleur? Viktor, you know very well she is dating Rodger Davies at the moment. She’s infatuated with him.”

Viktor shook his head. “No. I like Hermyione.” He said. Elise looked at him confusedly for a moment, but then understood. “Oh! You like Hermione!” she said. “But isn’t she a bit young for you?” she asked. She knew Viktor was turning eighteen in a month or so. He nodded. “Yah, I do. And she is not much younger than Cedric’s girlfriend, Cho. I believe she is in Hermione’s year?” he asked.

Elise shook her head. “No, she’s a year older, but she isn’t much older than Cedric.” Cedric was already turning eighteen in two weeks.

“Yah, well, she hasn’t spoken a decent conversation to me since ze Yule ball. I tried very hard, but she ignores me.” He said. “It is frustrating me. ‘Ave I done something wrong?” he asked. Elise laughed, and shook her head. “Oh no, Viktor, you haven’t. It’s just her best friends, Ron Weasley, you know him, and Harry are a bit wary of letting her see you; they think you’re considerably older than her.”

Viktor nodded. “I see. I wish not to insult them, but honestly, I don’t care.” He said. Elise laughed again. “Well, Viktor, I suggest you try being yourself around her. She likes well educated men who believe in a cause. Oh, and she doesn’t like people sitting around and watching her study.”

Viktor nodded, and smiled. “Thank you, Elise. I must say, I thought I would not find friends so easily at Hogwarts, but you seem to blend in so well. Cedric has told me you’ve planned attending here before, am I right?” he asked. She nodded. “Well, Elise, you are a good friend. You, Cedric, and many others are very kind.”

*~*~*~*
After dinner, Elise was sitting with Fred in the common room by the fire. He put his arm around her. “Lee tells me you’ve been hanging out with Cedric and Viktor Krum a lot lately.” He mentioned. She nodded. “Cedric remembers me breaking the Lovegood’s window, remember? He’s such a good guy. And Viktor is such a sweetheart. He asked me how to get Hermione’s attention today.” She said. “Isn’t that sweet?”

Fred nodded. “Yeah, it kind of is. So tell me, planning on running off with one of these strapping lads?” he added. She looked up at him, and he looked sort of upset. “Oh, Fred, are you angry I’ve been hanging out with them?” she asked, shocked. Fred shook his head. “Not so much; more jealous.” He admitted.

Elise giggled and kissed him passionately. She pulled away in the heat of the moment, and kissed the top of his head. “They are both excellent seekers. But I prefer beaters; much stronger, more macho.” She said. Fred laughed and hugged her tightly. “By the way, Viktor’s invited you, me, your brothers, Ginny, Harry, Hermione, and Cedric to spend the summer in Bulgaria. He mentioned getting to play a game with him and the team.”

Fred looked at her excitedly and kissed her cheek. He ran up the stairwell. “George! Ron! Harry! Can you believe it!? We’ve been invited to spend the summer at Krum’s and play a game with the bloody Bulgarian team!” The boys ran down the stairs, and started a commotion. Ron hugged her. “This is going to be the best summer yet!”
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter in a long time. sorry guys.