Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

Umbridge

After the double free period, Elise met up with Fred, George, and Angelina. “How was class?” she asked, smirking. Fred sighed. “We have two rolls of parchment due on Monday about the laws of Transfiguration. Kill me now.” He said, exaggerating. Elise giggled as he put his arm around her. “We have Defense against the Dark Arts next; I met the teacher, and she’s really nice to me.” Elise said.

They got to the classroom, and everyone taking NEWT level classes were bustling. Elise waved to her friends from Ravenclaw. She saw some Hufflepuffs from last year, and nodded to them. She sat down next to Angelina, and Fred and George sat down next to each other.

Umbridge came down the stairs from her office to the classroom. “Hello, seventh years. My name is Dolores Jane Umbridge, and I will be your defense against the dark arts teacher this year.” She said cheerfully. “Looking at the past of Hogwarts, your education in this subject has been severely tainted, I should say. Nonetheless, the ministry has given me the task of setting you right. You will be taking your Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests this year, so I believe it is high time you learn the proper way. Here are your new books; I suppose you can return the books you purchased over the summer.” She said.

She flicked her wand, and thin books began to shoot unto their desks. Elise picked hers up; it had a picture of a tall, dashing wizard (he had the body of the long-confused Gilderoy Lockhart with the head of Cornelius Fudge pasted on it) who was charming what seemed to be a pumpkin.

“This is more like a leaflet than a book.” George whispered. Umbridge’s head shot up, and she approached the twins. “You’re Arthur Weasley’s children, I suppose?” she asked. Fred nodded. “Two of them, at least.” He said. Angelina sniggered. “And do you have something to share about your new books?” she asked.

George opened his mouth, but Elise stopped him. “I think what they’re implying, Professor, is that these books are much thinner than ones they’ve had in the past.” She said. Umbridge smiled. “And how thick were your books at Beauxbatons, Miss Seymour?” she asked. Elise blushed. “Well, they were much bigger than this.” She said.

Umbridge smiled. “Well, the Ministry believes this is what you are meant to study. Now, please open to page two.”

*~*~*~*

“She’s a bloody old bat.” Fred said. They were lounging in a courtyard with Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny. Elise set her feet up on a bench. “Harry’s already gotten a detention.” Hermione pointed out. “Our books are a joke. It’s almost like it was made for a five year old.” She burst. Ron sighed gloomily.

“They are, actually. I’ve done research on it.” He said. Hermione held a hand up to her mouth, and Harry’s lips were curved. “You actually researched it? Oh, Ron, I’m so proud of you!” she said. Harry, George, Fred, and Elise roared with laughter. “Ha, that’s funny. But they are actually. Nonetheless, we have two rolls of parchment due two days from now about the Ministry’s attempts on Magical Safety of Underage Wizards.” He said.

Harry let out a dry laugh. “Magical safety? Let’s see-every year I’ve been here, I’ve been attacked, had to attack someone, or faced the wrath of Voldemort in some way. Highly doubt that as Magical Safety.” Elise sighed. “Come on, you guys, she wasn’t that bad. Sure, she hands out a fair bit of homework, but it’s not like we’ve actually got to work hard.” She pointed out.

Hermione stared at her. “But it’s unethical! What’s the point of learning without working?” Ron nodded. “For once, I agree with Hermione on this school matter. Umbridge will never teach us anything.” He said. Elise shrugged and Hermione turned on her. “You don’t need to learn anything! You know enough already; you shouldn’t even be in school anymore.” Hermione said defensively.

*~*~*~*

Elise was sleeping.

She was seeing herself at eleven, being thrust onto a table to duel with a sixth year. Before Elise could even react, the sixth year blasted a spell at her. She flew off the table, and the teacher shot a spell that cushioned her fall. She was sorely tempted to punch or bite that sixteen year old girl that slammed her, but instead, she was reprimanded for not thinking and thrust unto the table again. This time, she shot a spell at the sixth year, which disarmed her. The teacher praised her, and let her go.

Elise saw herself again. She was taking her standardized test for Transfiguration in her fifth year. It was easy, and she finished first. As she walked to the front to hand it to the teacher, a girl snickered. “Nerd.” She muttered. Elise shook off the insult and walked away.

She saw herself last year, taking the rest of her standardized tests and her Transfiguration NEWT at Beauxbatons. It was nearly a week after Cedric had died, and she forced herself into study. She pushed Cedric out of her mind, and aced every single test, getting an O on everything.

She woke up with a start, and noticed the rest of the girls awaking too. “Morning, Elise.” Caitlyn said, yawning.

Elise sighed. Maybe Hermione was right; Umbridge wasn’t teaching them anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
this story is nearly finished. can't believe it took me forever to write it...