Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

Dumbledore's army.

The year went on, but not as planned. Umbridge spent every waking moment making the students’ lives miserable. Elise and Fred were constantly separated. Being Professor Umbridge’s favorite student that wasn’t in Slytherin, many people were biased against her. Soon enough, she and Fred were communicating by ghosts; Elise would tell the Gray Lady to tell Sir Nicholas when to tell Fred to meet her.

“This is rubbish.” Fred said darkling, throwing his book down. Elise, who was sitting in the corridor with him, gave him a sad look. Hermione came running down the hallway with Ron and Harry.

“Elise, you have to see this.” She said sternly. Harry rolled his eyes, but Hermione lifted his sleeve. Elise gasped as she looked at Harry’s hand. Carved into his pale flesh, it was Harry’s handwriting.

I must not tell lies.

Elise gaped. “That isn’t right.”

Ron and Fred looked at her sheepishly. “It’s Umbridge’s doing, isn’t it?” Hermione and Harry nodded. Hermione looked to Elise. “You must tell your dad; he works for the Ministry!” Hermione cried.

Elise shook her head. “He’s in Egypt with my mum, and they’re expected to be there until after Christmas. Besides, there’s nothing my dad could do about it anyway. Apparently, Fudge himself agrees with Umbridge.”

Hermione was fuming. “We’ve got to do something about this. And we need a teacher, on top of all of this.”

She looked at Harry, who looked bewildered. “NO!”

*~*~*~*

“Erm, I guess we all know why we’re here.” Hermione said to everyone in the Hog’s Head. Elise was sitting partly on Fred’s lap. “We need a proper Defense against the Dark Arts teacher, and we’ve got one for you. Harry has volunteered to teach all of us a thing or two about fighting the dark arts.”

“Why doesn’t he tell us about what happened last year?” a snarky third year said.

“Shut up.” George said.

Harry stood and cleared his throat. “Look, if you’re all here looking for information on what happened to Cedric, you’re not getting it. You might as well go now. If you really want to learn something, stay.” He said. No one moved.

“Is it true you can perform a Patronus charm?” a dreamy voice asked. Elise turned and saw Luna. Luna smiled and waved at her. A list went on about what Harry had done-gotten past life sized chess board, fought a basilisk, fought off over a thousand dementors, and battled Voldemort.

“Look, I got past all of that mainly with help. It’s all true. But fighting that isn’t like school. In school, you can just try again tomorrow, but out there, there isn’t a tomorrow when you’re seconds away from dying, or watching a friend die.” He said. Cho fought back tears, and Elise’s throat caught.

“What about her? She’s Umbridge’s favorite!” the third year yelled.

Hermione looked at Elise comfortably. “For now, she is. She won’t be for long.”

Elise stood up. “I’m a half breed. I know a lot of you have been wondering, and yes, it’s true, I’m half veela. Umbridge will punish me severely when she finds out, which I hope is never.” She said.

Hermione cleared her throat. “Also, Elise could act as spy for us.”

So they all walked forward and signed the papers. Elise signed her name clearly under Fred’s. This was going to be interesting.

*~*~*~*

Just that Monday, Umbridge announced all clubs were disbanded. Dumbledore’s Army, which Ginny had come up with, was now meeting in the room of requirement, which Dobby found. It would open itself only to those who needed it, and closed when you didn’t. It would come back when you arrived with the need.

During this process, Elise learned many new things and perfected everything else. By the end of the first day, she could throw Fred across the room (“I’m only letting her do so because she’s my girlfriend” Fred grunted for the fifth time while Ron, Dean, Nigel, and George laughed.) and could conjure a corporal patronus. Her’s took the shape of a large basset hound, and it chased after Fred.

At the end of the class, they left the room in a hurry. Elise kissed Fred once more. “Thanks for letting me throw you across the room.” She said, grinning. Fred laughed and ran in the direction of Gryffindor tower. Elise ran to Luna’s side. “Hey Luna, that was a good charm back there.” She said.

Luna smiled. “Thank you. You did very well yourself; poor Fred Weasley. It’s very nice that he lets you throw him around like that.” Elise laughed. “I also think it was very brave of you to admit you’re a half breed; many half breed’s these days are shying away because the ministry has a dislike for them.” She said.

Elise nodded. “I know Umbridge hates half breeds. She told me so herself.”

Luna tossed her head back and forth. “Yes, well we’re all different. I don’t think there’s anything different between you and me besides you have the blood of a veela in you. I see everyone in the same light.” She said.

Elise grinned. Maybe she and this Luna girl could be friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
i haven't updated this in forever.