Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

Stop breaking this heart of mine.

It had been two days since George kissed Elise, and it was nonetheless even more awkward. George hadn’t even confided in his brother. Had he been wrong to kiss her so soon? She hadn’t shown any signs of liking him, so was it a mistake?

Elise hadn’t spoken much. Fred thought this could be a rift between the two. Maybe they had a fight after dinner two days ago. Fred saw this as his chance. He would corner her after Charms, in which they had a free period. During charms, George sat in Fred’s usual seat. Elise gave him a hurt look, which he didn’t return. Fred sighed and sat between them. Maybe they would be friends again. If they could.

After charms, Fred waited for Elise to come out. She always seemed to talk to the teacher after class. It was kind of annoying, but Fred saw it as a quirky trait of hers. She was such a nerd, he thought. As soon as he could, George dashed out of the room and ran down the hall to the common room to hide.

Hurt looking, Elise left the class. Fred stood against the wall, pretending he was sleeping. He snored lightly. Elise smacked his arm. “What are you doing?” she asked. Fred pretended to be groggy. “You’re done talking to Flitwick? Thank GOD! I was about to grow a beard almost as long as his!” Elise laughed. Fred smiled; it was the first time she’d laughed in a couple days.

“I’ll walk you to the library.” He said. Elise smiled. “How did you know I go to the library during my free hour?” she asked. Fred laughed nervously. “Well, you’d hit me if I told you I was following you. So let’s just say Ginny told me.” He said. Elise blushed.

The two walked quietly. Elise clutched her books to her chest, and she shivered. It was already getting cold. She would have to switch to her warm winter uniform even though it was only October. Fred stared at her. “Blimey, I wonder how you’re getting through the winter.” Fred retorted.

Elise giggled. “My mum sent me a trunk of new clothes. You know, thicker uniforms, cloaks, winter clothes. But I do have my casual clothes. I just need more sensible shoes; I only packed two pairs of flats and trainers.” She frowned. Fred laughed.

It was silent again as they walked to the library. When they got there, Fred showed her the small spot where Madam Pince never checked in on. It was so far back in the library, she hardly checked there. It was the muggle book section, and no one (except those who were easily amused) ever went there. Heck, Fred doubted most people even knew Hogwarts had a muggle book section.

As he pretend to study, he watched Elise. She was deep in her book, furrowing her brow. He snickered. “Always such a nerd.” He said. Elise looked up, confused. Then she shot him a half smile. “I’ve got to graduate somehow. How do you think I’m Madame Maxime’s favorite out of the sixth years, possibly even the seventh years?”

Fred laughed and looked back down. “Say, Elise, you wouldn’t get mad if I asked you a question, would you?” he asked. Elise shook her head. “Fire away.” She leaned back in her chair, and sat on her legs.

“Why is George acting so weird lately? He won’t speak to me about you.”

Elise stared down guiltily. “Promise you won’t tell anyone.” She said. Fred nodded, and leaned in towards her. Maybe this rift would bring them together. He would tell her Angelina wasn’t working out (which it really wasn’t) and they could finally be together; it was his dream since he was eleven, maybe even younger.

“You know how George and I waited back after dinner a couple days ago? Well, he brought me to this lovely little spot near the Gryffindor common room. He started muttering stuff, and all of a sudden, he kissed me. Problem is he won’t talk to me. But I like him. I always have.” She said excitedly.
Fred’s face crumbled. George had staked his claim, and they had a promise to each other they’d kept since they were little. They would not kiss someone the other twin had already.

Fred sighed. “Well, I’ll talk to George and see what’s with him. We better get to Potions before Snape tries to shoot us.” He said. Elise nodded, and got up.

*~*~*~*
That night, Lee, George, Fred, and the two other boys in their year were in their room. George was sleeping late. “Hey, George.” Fred said. He had drawn the curtains so he wouldn’t see his disappointed face. “Yeah?” George asked. Fred sighed. “You’ve got her. She likes you, she always has. But you’re breaking her heart.” Fred said.

George sounded like he was gagging on his water. “You’re serious?!” he asked. Fred made a noise sounding that he was telling the truth. He could tell George was laughing. “Well, I should talk to her in the morning.”

*~*~*~*

The next morning, Elise set off to breakfast early. She was sitting at the Gryffindor table, drinking pumpkin juice and reading the paper. “Elise!” a familiar voice called. She turned, and saw George standing at the doorway. She stood up, and he ran to her. “I’m sorry I was a prat. I was stupid. I thought you didn’t like me, and whatever, but Fred talked to me last night. He made me see” he said, but she cut him off with her lips.

He hugged her, and spun her around in the air a couple times. The other Beauxbatons girls cooed. Several Gryffindors, Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs hooted and hollered, including Harry, Ginny, Neville, Lee, Ron, Hermione, Cho Chang, and Cedric Diggory.

It was still early; they had at least an hour and ten minutes before their first class. Maybe they could sneak off to the grove behind the herbology classroom. George was no longer hungry; he pulled her away by her hand. Laughing, the two passed Fred and Angelina. Fred waved gamely. Angelina wrapped her hand tighter around Fred’s. “It’s great, isn’t it? George finally has a girlfriend.”

Fred nodded. “Yeah, awesome.”

*~*~*~*

George and Elise sat behind a tree near the Herbology classroom. They were wrapped around each other. Suddenly, they heard Lee’s voice. “Oi! You two, stop snogging! Herbology starts in five minutes!” he said. Elise and George unwrapped themselves from each other, blushed, and walked hand in hand to the classroom. Instead of sitting next to Alicia as she usually did, Elise sat next to George, leaving Fred out of a seatmate. He and Alicia sat together begrudgingly. Even though they were close friends, they annoyed each other.

As Professor Sprout spoke about the dangerous plants, George and Elise enclosed their hands. Nothing would keep them apart.

Well, the other tall red headed Weasley just might.
♠ ♠ ♠
♥
hahaha. so school has been really busy, and I've got weekends blocked up. However, I stayed home sick from school on monday and I got a LOT of writing done.