Status: indefinitely on hold. draft got destroyed, and I just don't think I can go on...sorry ):

The Little Things

There’s always something so tragic about a hopeless romantic.

There’s always something so tragic about a hopeless romantic.

Everyone was sitting in the Great Hall, waiting for the Goblet of Fire to burst out the names of the school champions. She was sitting with her Beauxbatons classmates now, although some of them were shying away from her.

Only Fleur and Gabrielle knew what had happened. When Madame told the girls of Beauxbatons that they were not to interact with Slytherin boys, some protested; one of them being Belissa. Belissa was a girl that didn’t like Elise. Belissa had been Madame’s favorite until Elise came along. However many years ago that was, Belissa was still angry.

“Vat if we like a Slytherin boy?” Belissa asked loudly. Madame cleared her throat. “As I ‘ave stated many times, Belissa, I believe the Slytherin ‘ave been plotting against us to win ze competition. The rest of ze boys in zis school are much more honorable than them.”

Belissa rolled her eyes, and crossed her legs.

The girls were sitting together. Elise was holding Fleur’s hand; she was so nervous. The lights in the hall dimmed, and Fleur sounded like she was choking. Belissa looked ready to stand up and waltz to the cup; she had too much pride.

“The Beauxbatons champion is…Fleur Delacour!” Belissa’s jaw dropped. “VAT?!” Fleur, on the other hand, was so shocked; Elise had to push her to the front. The girls all cheered for her. “Go Fleur!” Elise shouted. She looked to the Gryffindor table, and saw her boyfriend and his brother. Both waved at the same time to her, and Angelina smacked Fred on the back of the head.

Fleur waved to the crowd of boys cheering her on; being veela definitely had its perks. Next, they announced the Durmstrang champion. Elise shivered, thinking that Charles’s friends were there learning. “Viktor Krum!” Everyone leapt up, cheering. Elise merely sat there clapping; Krum had made a pass at her, which annoyed her. He’d apologized for it, but she still wasn’t convinced. All of the Beauxbatons girls stood up except her.

“And finally, the Hogwarts champion…Cedric Diggory!” At this, Gabrielle and Elise stood up and cheered for him. Cedric was a very nice guy, and Elise liked him very much-as a friend. He waved to the masses of people. Dumbledore was ending his speech when a small scrap of paper flew out of the goblet of fire.

“Harry Potter.”

Elise’s breath caught. Not Harry. Harry had quickly become one of her friends, as did Hermione. He was brilliant for his age, but still-he was a boy. He was only fourteen. She was smart when she was fourteen, but nothing would prepare her for the Triwizard Tournament at that age.

“HARRY POTTER!”

She watched as Hermione pushed Harry up. “He’s not even seventeen!” Ernie MacMillan yelled. “No!” Elise cried. She held her hands to her cheeks. The other girls stared at her; they hadn’t befriended Harry like she had. Madame Maxime was turning white. She got up and motioned for Elise to come to her. Elise got off the seat and ran to her. “Follow me.” She said.

*~*~*~*

“Ze boy is too young! Not even my brightest pupil would ‘ave been ready for ze Triwizard Tournament at ze age of fourteen! Elise vas just learning about conjuring a corporal patronus at zat age! Is zis a joke, Dumblydore?” she asked. Dumbledore shook his head. “No. It’s not possible. The magic I created around that circle…”

Elise was now standing next to Harry. She had her arms around his shoulders, trying to comfort him. He seemed panicked, and confused. “I’m not old enough, Elise. I don’t know enough to compete.” He said fearfully. The adults argued as the champions wandered around. Fleur looked betrayed that Elise was comforting him, even though she knew they were friends.

“Sh, Harry, it will be alright. And even if you do compete, you are smart. You will figure out a way.” She said. Harry looked near to tears. “Don’t you get it, Elise? This is dealing with more than just unlocking doors and wit! This is dark deadly stuff. Half the people in the competition have died, and I’m going to.” He whispered.

Cedric approached him. “Harry, how’d you do it?” he asked. Harry shook his head. “I didn’t!” Krum scowled. “Likely story.”

Elise gave him a stony look. “Well I believe him.” She looked at Fleur. Fleur cleared her throat. “If Elise does, I do too.”

*~*~*~*

People stared at Harry as he got back to Gryffindor. Elise had a hand on his shoulder. “Go to sleep, Harry.” She murmured. He nodded, and walked up the stairs. Hermione stood next to her. “He looks so scared.” She said. Elise nodded. “He is.”

George scratched his head. “I wonder how Harry got his name in. Must’ve asked an older student to put it in.” he said. Elise slapped his head. “Don’t assume such things about Harry; don’t you trust him?” she asked accusingly. George stared at her. “Obviously I trust him; I’ve known him longer than you have!” George said, annoyed. Elise rolled her eyes. “Just because you’ve known him longer doesn’t mean you understand.”

George stood up, as did she. “He’s like a second brother to me, Elise. You’ve known him how long? A record breaking three weeks? Don’t go telling me I’m wrong.” He said. Elise stared at him. This wasn’t how she remembered George. George was never this defensive.

“I suppose you don’t know what it’s like being forced to duel seventh years when you were eleven because everyone thought you were smart. You don’t know what it’s like trying to compete in something you were forced in against people older than you. I was eleven when I first got shot with a powerful jinx that I didn’t learn until I was fifteen.” She said coldly.

George softened his look. “Elise, I’m sorry, but you’ve got to understand. I know Harry. I’ve known the bloke since he was eleven.” He said.

Elise rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Be an arse.” She said. She walked away to her room, and the common room was quiet. “Elise!” George yelled desperately.
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter since the great computer crash of 09 :D