Status: finished, look for the sequel!

These Things Have Changed

I am not Kevin Jonas.

I was standing there fidgeting with my guitar strap, wait correction, Kevin’s guitar strap. Miley was on stage doing her set and my heart was pounding so loud I think everyone backstage can hear it, maybe even the audience. “Al, you’ll do fine” Nick said rubbing my arm comfortingly. “Thanks” I said trying to keep my voice even, it didn’t work out. “Ally don’t worry I was so nervous before my first big concert to” Joe said all smiles. “Joe this is my first concert ever” I squealed gripping the guitar harder. “Woah there girl, you better relax or you’ll break the neck right off” Garbo said with a laugh. I took a deep breath and loosened my death grip. “Ally seriously you’ll be amazing, you didn’t mess up at all during the sound check just relax and breath…in and out” Nick said breathing in and out, like he was teaching me how to. I followed the instructions but that didn’t make my heart slow down or the nervousness go away at all. Kevin walked in with a sling on and a smile. “Oh god Kev, are you alright?” I asked he lifted up the arm in the sling and smiled, “Yea I’ll live. It’s just a sprain should be better soon” he said acting like it was no big deal. I felt so bad. “Well Al, you better not show me up out there.” He said nudging me in the arm I just gulped and smiled while Joe took his hand and put it across his throat motioning for Kev not to say anything more. “Oh” He said bluntly. I smiled and rocked back and forth trying not to think of the thousands of screaming fans out there. What would they do when the realized I’m not Kevin Jonas. This is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

“Al come here” Kev said grabbing my arm with his good hand and dragging me out into the hallway. “Ally just take a breath” “Kev I’ve been breathing the whole time. It’s not helping” I said making my voice yell louder. “Woah al calm down” He said “I AM CALM” I shouted and then closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “Okay now I’m calm” I said softly. He let out a chuckle and I opened my eyes. “Okay so what’s going on in your crazy mind?” He asked. “I don’t know, I mean Kev I’m not you. I’m not good at the guitar.” I said motioning to the guitar hanging around my shoulders. “Here we’ll practice a little” He said fixing the guitar so it was sitting right in my hands. “Okay ready play the opening chords to Hello Beautiful” I did like he asked and he smiled, “Okay now goodnight and goodbye” I played the chorus. “Okay now That’s Just The Way We Roll” I did it and he went through all the songs like that. I was surprised when my guitar produced the same sound that Kevin’s usually does when he strums those chords. “Ally you’ll do amazing. And listen if your really that nervous, just stand next to garbo towards the back.” “Oh my god thank you!” I shouted hugging him. He moved his hand out of the way and I smiled and kissed him on the cheek as we were called for.

I took my place on the stage, it was pretty dark out there. The boys were down underneath the trap door and I was standing next to Garbo. “Garbo” I said taking a gulp. “Yea?” He asked fixing his strap. “If I uh, if I like faint or anything….catch me” I said looking over and up at him. He laughed. “Ally if you say one more thing about this, I am going to smack you in the face with my guitar” I laughed and then the violins started the beat and the arena went crazy with screams. I clutched my eyes shut and took a few breaths. “Ally, breath. You’ll be fine once we get through a few songs. I promise” He said to me and I smiled and opened my eyes. We turned around and started to strum along with the violins. Then the screaming became louder and I knew the boys were rising up behind us. I stopped strumming and the lights flashed on. Nick strummed the opening chords up in the air while I strummed the same chords from the ground in the back next to Garbo. Just like Kevin would have. I looked up and saw Nick smiling and pointing down to me, I smiled and blushed because now everyone in the arena was wondering a few things: why isn’t Kevin playing guitar, why is nick pointing to me, and who is the random girl playing next to Garbo. My heart sped up as the song got into full swing and the boys ran around singing on the stage. It’s different watching the show from the side lines and then actually being a part of it. Way different.

After they finished that’s just the way we roll Joe took his mic along with Kevin and Nick. “Hey everyone how are you all feeling tonight!?!” Joe shouted and the arena screamed like crazy, “Alright well I’m Joe Jonas!” He shouted and some more screams erupted, “What’s up guys I’m Nick!” Even more screams. “And I’m Kevin!” Kev shouted holding the mic with his good hand. “And were the Jonas Brothers!” Joe shouted and everyone screamed. “Kev want to explain what’s up with your sling?” Joe asked into the mic. “Alright, well guys during rehearsal I sprained my hand” He said holding up the sling, there was aw from the audience and I couldn’t help but laugh along with Garbo. I was breathing normally but my heartbeat was still loud in my ears. “He fell trying to do his spins he usually does” Joe added in, “Thanks Joe” Kevin said and the whole place started to laugh. “That’s a little embarrassing” Nick added in laughing. “Okay well anyway what I was saying! I’m not going to be playing the guitar tonight, But I will be up here, with everyone singing and stuff still” the crowd screamed again, “But we have a special guest filling in for the guitar!” Joe shouted. My face grew red. “Everyone please welcome Ally Windle!” Nick shouted and Garbo nudged me. I looked up and waved and the place was still screaming. “She was so nice enough to take Kev’s spot tonight for us” Nick said, “Yea she’s a life saver” Joe said. “Okay well anyway she had to learn and rehearse all of our songs today!” Kevin shouted and some more screams came from the audience I smiled again and looked off to the side and Frankie was clapping and I laughed at him. “Alright well let’s get started Nick!” Joe shouted and Nick started to strum goodnight and Goodbye.

I played my parts with out messing up surprisingly and I couldn’t keep the smile off my face. I know why the guys love performing so much now. You just get this adrenalin rush and you don’t ever want to stop. By the end of the show I was laughing and smiling and singing along to the songs. I was still in the back next to Garbo though. At the end of the show we all took a bow and The boys re thanked me again and I waved to everyone and laughed as Joe tripped running up the steps to get off stage. Then everything went black again and I walked off the side of the stage and handed Kevin’s guitar off to a stage hand. “Allison you were terrific!!” Mrs. Jonas said hugging me. “Thanks, it was so much fun!” I gushed smiling and taking a sip of water. She laughed and then Nick came up to me. “Al you were unbelievable out there!” “Yea you didn’t mess up once!” Joe said with his eyes wide. “So Mr. Jonas, you were expecting me to mess up?” I asked cocking an eyebrow at him, “Of course not!” He said shaking his head fast. I laughed and rolled my eyes. “So Al, think you can do a few shows for me, until this thing’s off?” Kev asked throwing an arm around my shoulder. “I think I can manage that.” I said smiling and they all laughed.