An Unlikely Visitor

Trouble

The next morning, Merlin was summoned to Arthur’s chambers. Merlin already knew what Arthur wanted to see him about, so he prepared himself for the verbal abuse that was to ensue.
Merlin knocked on the chamber door and Arthur granted him entrance. Arthur stood before a full length mirror, adjusting his shirt. Before Merlin could get the first word, Arthur beat him to it.
“I was wondering where you were yesterday.” He said motioning Merlin over to help him adjust his clothes. Without hesitation, Merlin rushed over and began to assist Arthur.
“I’m sorry, Arthur.” He said.
Arthur ignored his apology and continued. “You missed a very interesting practice. Some idiotic servant almost impaled me!”
“I’m glad that you’re not injured.” Merlin replied.
“Oh, are you.” Arthur stated. “I’m sure you were loving it.”
Merlin stopped adjusting Arthur’s shoes. “Excuse me?”
Arthur turned to face Merlin. “Don’t think I didn’t see you watching up near the tower.”
“Ah.” Merlin said looking down.
Arthur returned to looking at himself in the mirror. “I won’t ask for specifics, but I would like to know who that lovely girl that was with you is.”
Merlin panicked. He was completely unaware that Arthur could see them. He tried to think of a way around it.
“What girl?” he played dumb.
“I’m not an idiot, Merlin, I saw you with a girl. Who is she and what is she doing here?”
Merlin thought quickly. “Her name is Eilwen and she’s…Gaius’ granddaughter.”
“Granddaughter?” Arthur asked. “I didn’t think Gaius had children let alone grandchildren.”
“Well, they’re not related by blood. He…adopted her.”
Arthur paused. “Adopted, you say?”
Merlin desperately hoped that this was working. “Yeah, you see her parents were real good friends with Gaius. They recently died leaving the poor girl homeless, so she decided to pop in and stay with Gaius until she can find a place to stay permanently.”
Arthur seemed to be buying it. “Well, that makes sense. But why was she with you yesterday?”
“Gaius told me to show her the castle.”
“Well, I could have done that.” Arthur said straightening his tunic. “Rather have it done right.”
Merlin cocked an eyebrow. “Of course.”
Arthur took one last look in the mirror. “Bring her with you to dinner tonight. I would like to meet his Eilwen.”
Merlin froze. “Um, I don’t think that would be a good idea.”
Arthur glared at Merlin. “And why not? I don’t want to be rude to a guest.”
“She’s, um, a little…odd.”
“How so?”
“Well, she’s from a village far, far, very far away from here and she might have difficulties with our customs.”
“What village is she from ?”
“Um, the Blue Shell village.”
Arthur thought for a moment. “I’ve never head of it.”
“Oh, it’s quite a far ways out. Near the sea I believe.” Merlin said.
“Interesting. You may go now, Merlin.” Arthur said waving Merlin away.
Merlin made a slight bow and exited the room. But before he could completely close the chamber door Arthur shouted one last thing.
“I will see you and Eilwen at dinner tonight.”
Merlin winced. Perfect.