An Unlikely Visitor

Plan

“Now remember what I told you: you’re Gaius’ adopted granddaughter. Your parents were great friends with him and after they died you decided to stay with him until you can find a permanent place to live. Remember to keep your gloves on at all times. Oh, and don’t talk about mermyd stuff.”
Eilwen rolled her eyes. “Yes father.”
“I’m serious, Eilwen. The last thing I want to see is you getting your head chopped off!”
Eilwen smiled. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I’ve been to royal banquets before; I know what’s expected of me.”
Merlin stopped. “You’ve been to royal banquets? But how…?”
Eilwen must have caught what she had said; her mouth opened and closed making her look like a fish. But before Merlin could get a straight answer out of her, a smooth voice came from behind them.
“So, is this the fair maiden that Arthur has taken a sudden interest in?”
Morgana, accompanied by a less than enthusiastic Gwen, stopped near Merlin and Eilwen. She was dressed in a sleeveless purple tunic that was tied around her neck. Her raven black hair was curled loosely and trailed down her back. She smiled warmly at Eilwen, who returned the gesture.
“My, my, it seems he was telling the truth. You are quite a sight to behold. Don’t you think so Gwen?”
“Yeah, she sure is a sight.” Gwen answered rolling her eyes.
Merlin gulped; this could be bad. He hadn’t seen Gwen since the day he met Eilwen. In all honesty, Merlin was a little afraid to talk to Gwen since then. Could she still be that upset over what had happened?
The answer was clearly yes. Gwen looked Eilwen up and down; her features motionless.
“Well, we mustn’t be late.” Morgana said. “It was lovely to finally see you.” She bowed her head slightly to Eilwen who also returned the bow. Morgana walked on; Gwen close behind her. Merlin smiled at her, but Gwen ignored him.
It was going to be an interesting night.