An Unlikely Visitor

Arthur and Eilwen

The room was filled to the brim with nobles and high class officials. People were gathered in groups holding friendly conversations. The atmosphere seemed like a fairly calm one; that was until Eilwen and Merlin walked into the room. A few people turned around to witness the newcomer; but then one after the other, more and more people stopped having their nice little private conversations to stop and stare. The once noisy room was now dead silent.
Merlin glanced at Eilwen, who didn’t seem to really notice everyone staring at her.
“This isn’t awkward at all.” Merlin whispered to Eilwen. But Eilwen didn’t respond; her mind was definitely on someone else at that moment. Arthur appeared from the mass of guests; dressed in his best red tunic. He stopped in front of where Eilwen stood.
“Everyone back to what you were doing.” He said waving his hand. “Stop making the lady uncomfortable.”
The guests took one last look at Eilwen and slowly returned to their conversations.
“Lady Eilwen I presume?” Arthur said kissing her hand.
“You presume correct, my lord. It is quite an honor to make your acquaintance.” Eilwen replied.
“The honor is certainly all mine.” Arthur returned. “I must say; you are quite an exquisite girl. I’ve never seen someone with hair that fair before.”
Merlin could see Eilwen blush from the corner of his eye. A little flicker of anger flashed through his body. Merlin was quite aware of what Arthur was doing; and he didn’t like it. Eilwen wasn’t like the other girls that Arthur wooed and Merlin prayed that she used that high intellect of hers to see right through Arthur’s charm.
But that obviously wasn’t going to happen.
“I would be very honored if you would sit besides me at dinner.” Arthur said.
“I would be more than happy to, my lord.” Eilwen replied.
Arthur made a slight bow and offered his right arm to her. Eilwen curtsied and graciously accepted it.
“Come Merlin.” Arthur instructed. Merlin rolled his eyes; following slowly.

Arthur carefully pulled Eilwen’s chair back so she could sit. Arthur took a seat next to her; Merlin stood behind him. Morgana was seated on the other side of Arthur; Gwen standing behind her. Merlin inched near her.
“Gwen.” He whispered.
She didn’t respond.
“Gwen. Gwen. Gwen.”
“What do you want Merlin?!” she finally said.
“Are you still upset?”
She grunted.
“I’ll take that as a yes.” Merlin said. “I’m sorry about what happened. That kiss thing was one of Eilwen’s customs. It’s, um, a greeting.”
“Oh really?” Gwen asked. “So then why isn’t she all over Arthur? Or Morgana for that matter?”
“Honestly, Gwen. Can you please stop being like this; I just want us to be friends again.”
Silence. “I guess that’s how it’s going to have to be. Ok, I forgive you.”
Merlin wasn’t quite sure what Gwen meant by that first part, but at least she had forgiven him.
Merlin then turned his attention back to Eilwen.
“Where are you from, lady Eilwen?” he heard Arthur ask.
“I come from a village near the sea, up north.” Eilwen replied sweetly.
“A village? How can such as beauty such as you come from a meager village?” Arthur said.
Merlin rolled his eyes.
“Merlin tells me that you’re Gaius’ adopted granddaughter.”
“Oh yes, you see he was good friends with my mother. And when she died I decided to stay with him for a while; at least until I can find somewhere else to live.”
Arthur stopped. “Wait, Merlin told me that both of your parents are dead.”
Merlin saw Eilwen tense.
“Well, my father died shortly after my mother. I had left and I wasn’t able to see him before he passed on.” Eilwen dabbed the corners of her eyes.
Merlin smirked. Good recovery.
Arthur believed her. “I’m so sorry about your parent’s deaths. What did they die of?”
Eilwen thought quickly. “My mother died giving birth to my baby brother. My father was so distraught over my mother’s death that he threw himself over a fishing boat.”
Merlin shifted slightly. Creative.
“God, that is terrible.” Arthur said. “You poor creature. I give you my permission to stay at Camelot for as long as you need. I’ll discuss finding a permanent residence with my father.”
“Where is the king?” Eilwen suddenly asked.
“Out on some business or something.” Arthur replied. “But that’s not important. What’s important now is where has Merlin been keeping a curious creature like you all this time?”
Eilwen smiled. “In his room.”
Morgana suddenly dropped her goblet. Gwen rushed over quickly to clean it up. Arthur coughed and shifted. Merlin groaned.
“Is that so?” Arthur asked shooting a look at Merlin.
Merlin felt like dying then and there; then the food started to be served.
As the guests enjoyed their meal of hot chicken breast; Eilwen sat and stared at it.
Arthur noticed her not eating. “Lady Eilwen, is this food unacceptable?”
Eilwen wrinkled her nose. “Not really. Don’t you have any other kinds of food? Fish perhaps?”
“I’ll have the cook prepare you a fresh grilled fish at once.” Arthur reassured her.
“Oh no, don’t cook it. I’ll have it raw, thank you.” Eilwen said sweetly.
Arthur stared at Eilwen. “What kind of village were you from again?”