An Unlikely Visitor

Starry Night

The night dragged on. After Eilwen received her fish, Arthur decided to delight her with stories about his battles. They were so dull that even Merlin was having trouble staying awake. He was quite certain that Eilwen was enjoying them. Merlin was sure that she had found the guardian of her stone. Every one of Arthur’s stories consisted of his numerous acts of bravery. But after what seemed like the third hour of Arthur’s stories; Eilwen said that she was exhausted and excused herself from the banquet.
“So soon already, my lady? But I haven’t told you about the time I…”
Eilwen put a finger on his lips. “I’ll gladly listen to your stories next time we meet, my lord. I had a lovely evening, goodnight.”
Eilwen walked out of the room. Merlin decided to sneak away after her; seeing as Arthur was completely struck with confusion at Eilwen’s sudden disappearing act.

Eilwen gazed at the starry night sky; resting her arms on the ledge of the castle wall.
Merlin quietly approached her.
“It’s cold out here, isn’t it?” he said.
Eilwen looked over her shoulder. “I guess so.”
Merlin cautiously moved forward. “Here.” He said removing his outer jacket; placing it on Eilwen’s shoulders. She mumbled thanks.
“I knew I’d find you here.” He said quietly.
Eilwen sighed. “I thought you would.”
Merlin leaned on the ledge next to her. “I’m surprised you left so early. It looked like you and Arthur were really hitting it off.”
“I guess at first we did.” Eilwen said. “But, I don’t know. He just seems so…”
“Full of himself? Arrogant? Rude?” Merlin suggested.
“Stubborn, stuck up?” Eilwen smiled, but it suddenly diminished. “I was so sure that my stone belonged to him.” She lightly touched the green stone around her neck. “But when I was with him, I felt nothing.”
“But this was just one night. You’ll have loads more time to spend with him; I’ll make sure of it.” Merlin reassured.
Eilwen grimaced. “I don’t know if I can handle any more of his stories though.”
“I don’t know if anyone can.” Merlin confessed.
Eilwen’s smile returned. “It’s rather sad. You read books about how princes act and behave and you get this image in your head. And then it all falls to pieces right at your feet.”
“Just give it more time. Things will work out.” Merlin reassured.
“I’ll try.” Eilwen said. “It’s just so hard when Arthur acts like a…”
“Prat.” Merlin and Eilwen said together.
They both laughed. “Looks like I didn’t just absorb your language.” Eilwen joked.
Merlin smiled. The two of them stood there for a few moments; just looking at the sky.
Then Merlin got an idea.
“The night is still young, lady Eilwen. Whatever shall we do?” He asked playfully.
Eilwen thought for a moment. “I don’t know, lord Merlin. Any ideas?”
“Just one.” He replied smirking. He offered her his left arm. “Shall we?”
Eilwen took his arm. “We shall. Just promise me one thing.”
“Anything, my lady.”
Eilwen smiled half heartedly. “No battle stories.”
Merlin just laughed.