An Unlikely Visitor

The Great Dragon and The Mermyd

Merlin and Eilwen trekked through the dark, damp cave.
“We’re almost there.” Merlin said.
“I really do hope so.” Eilwen replied. “It’s quite dingy in here.”
Merlin led her to a small opening in the cave. He held the torch up and called out.
Suddenly the sound of giant wings echoed throughout the cave. A large, golden plated dragon descended, perching on a nearby bolder.
“Ah, come to visit me again I see.” It said.
“Yeah, and this time I brought a guest.” Merlin stepped back behind Eilwen so the Dragon could see her.
The Dragon’s eyes widened. “A mermyd!” it exclaimed. “I never in my life would have guessed I would have the opportunity to see a mermyd.”
Eilwen was just as impressed. “I never thought I would ever see a live dragon! It is an honor.”
“As it is to meet you; but I’m very positive that your father must be sick with worry over where you are.”
Eilwen shifted. “I’ll deal with that later.”
“Oh, I’m sure you will.” The Dragon said.
Merlin stepped in. “Eilwen and I have a question for you.”
“You may ask.”
“It’s Eilwen’s sea stone. It belongs to Arthur, right?” Merlin asked.
The Dragon pondered for a moment. “I’m sorry to say it doesn’t. This very special gem belongs to another hero.”
Eilwen’s face fell. “But who? I’m certain that this stone belongs to Arthur; it has to.”
The Dragon shook its head. “I’m sorry Eilwen, but it doesn’t. I know you had your heart set on it.”
“Then who does it belong to?” Merlin asked.
“Now, if I told you that it would take the fun out of it!” the Dragon replied as he started to flap his wings. “You two will find out for yourselves. Just give it time; all will be revealed.” And with that, the Dragon flew off.