An Unlikely Visitor

With A Single Touch...

“I’m sorry, the Dragon always does that. You ask it one question and it leaves you with another.” Merlin said defeated.
Eilwen shrugged it off. “That’s what dragons do; I read about it in a book once. But it was still rather exciting! Actually meeting a dragon; it was amazing!”
Merlin smiled. He was happy that Eilwen didn’t seem upset by what the Dragon had said about the sea stone and Arthur. But Merlin couldn’t help but wonder; who was the stone destined to be with?
“I’m glad you’re happy.” Merlin said.
Eilwen smiled. “Thank you so much for cheering me up.”
“So my plan worked then?”
“It definitely worked.” Eilwen replied.
Merlin and Eilwen emerged from the conclave in the wall and into the hallway. The guards still hadn’t returned.
“I’ve never taken anyone with me to see him before.” Merlin commented. “You’re the first.”
“Than I’m greatly honored.” She said.
“I’m so happy that I can finally share something like this with someone other than Gaius. Not that I’m saying I don’t like sharing things with Gaius; it just get’s tedious after a while.”
“That’s understandable.” Eilwen replied. “Hiding things from people is rather difficult.”
“You have no idea.” Merlin sighed.
Eilwen smiled slightly. “Thanks again, for everything.”
“It’s no problem at all.” Merlin replied.
The two of them stood awkwardly in the deserted hallway; not quite sure what to say next. Eilwen was tugging at the inside of Merlin’s jacket that was still draped around her shoulders. She became aware that she still had it and quickly took it off.
“Oh here, your jacket.” She said handing it out to Merlin.
“Oh yeah, right.” He said taking it.
In the processes of taking back his jacket, Merlin accidentally touched Eilwen’s hand. He kept his fingers there for a moment. Eilwen looked into his eyes; Merlin stared back. He noticed Eilwen’s face start to turn from pale to pink and then to bright red. Merlin could feel his face doing the same. Eilwen pulled her hand out from underneath his.
“Sorry.” They both muttered. The pair stood in the hallway awkwardly; one waiting for the other to say something. But their awkwardness was soon broken by the sound of thundering feet. Three castle guards came running like bats out of hell; startling Merlin and Eilwen.
“Out of the way!” one of them called.
“What’s going on?” Merlin asked.
“Fire in the banquet hall!” another answered.
A cold shiver ran through Merlin’s body. He looked at Eilwen and then they both ran after the guards.