An Unlikely Visitor

A Warning

You are very aware that this girl must not reveal her true identity to any other person in this castle, right?” Gaius said after a long time.
It was now night as Gaius addressed Merlin who was staring at Eilwen. The mermyd had taken a seat next to the fire with a book in her hand, turning the pages with incredible speed.
“I kinda got that impression.” Merlin replied. “Having webbed fingers would be an interesting conversation starter.”
“I’m serious, Merlin.” Gaius said in a grave voice. “People today don’t believe in such creatures. If they would happen to discover this girl was a mermyd, hell would surly unleash its wrath on the kingdom. And just thing of what Uther might do to her.”
Merlin’s blood suddenly ran cold. If Uther found out what Eilwen was…well, Merlin didn’t want to think about what might happen.
“So, what will we do with her?” he asked.
“Treat her like a welcomed guest, I would imagine.” Gaius sighed. “I’ll find her a pair of gloves to hide the ‘you-know-what.”
Gaius stood up from his seat at the table and walked over to where Eilwen sat, still engrossed in her book.
“I believe that you should get some rest, my dear. You’ve had a very long day.”
Eilwen nodded; closing the book.
“Get a lot of rest for tomorrow because I’m sure Merlin would love to take you on a tour of the castle tomorrow, wouldn’t you Merlin?”
Merlin straightened up. “Huh? But, what about the whole ‘not letting anyone know about her’ speech?”
Gaius put his hand behind his back. “Well, it’s not like we can keep her cooped up all day. Just be careful with her, as I know you will be. I’m sure she would love a little walk around. Wouldn’t you?”
Eilwen’s eyes flashed and she smiled.
“But what about Arthur? I’m supposed to be with him at sword practice tomorrow.” Merlin protested.
“Oh I’m sure Arthur won’t mind you taking time away from watching him stab haystacks.” Gaius said chuckling. “Now, off to bed the two of you!”
Merlin began to rise when a thought struck him. “Gaius, where is Eilwen going to sleep?”
Gaius just smiled.