An Unlikely Visitor

A Little Secret of Her Own...

“I have no idea what you’re talking about!”
Merlin walked swiftly back down the corridors; Eilwen close behind him.
“But I saw you! You used magic!” She cried.
Merlin stopped and spun around. “Keep your voice down, will you?”
Eilwen’s eyes got big. “So you admit it, you can use magic!” she whispered. “You know, I thought I felt that there something different about you when we kissed.”
Merlin rolled his eyes, ignoring the kissing comment. “I didn’t admit anything. I just want you to keep your voice down. What if someone were to see you? You still don’t have a pair of gloves to hide those hands of yours.”
Eilwen lowered her eyes in quiet apology.
Merlin straightened up. “Right then, better be off to see if Gaius could find you some gloves.”
As Merlin started walking again, a tiny voice behind him said. “I knew it.”

Gaius poured over his books, searching to see if his guess about the mermyd was correct. And if it was, Gaius was going to have a mess of trouble on his hands.
The door to the tiny apartment flew opened and an exacerbated Merlin walked inside. Eilwen followed close behind him repeating: “But I saw you!”
Merlin stopped and grabbed Eilwen by the shoulders. “I’ve told you a thousand times: I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING!”
Eilwen, not taken aback by Merlin’s sudden aggression, continued. “But then how did those swords just float to the ground? They were heading right for Arthur, and you saved him.”
Merlin, still holding Eilwen’s shoulder, hung his head.
Gaius, who had kept quiet up until this point, gingerly put his hand up. “Merlin, I think it’s quite alright to tell her.”
Merlin slowly raised his head. “Are you positive?”
Gaius nodded. “I think your secret is safe with Eilwen. Now if you excuse me, I best be off looking for those gloves.”
Gaius exited the room; Merlin sat down, exhausted.
“Alright fine, I can do magic. Are you happy now?”
Eilwen took a seat in front of him. “I knew it!”
“Oh you’re so clever.” Merlin said sarcastically.
“Yes I am thank you.” Eilwen replied. “And don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone about your abilities; as long as you don’t tell anyone about mine.”
Merlin sat up. “What?”
Eilwen smiled as she reached for a glass filled with water that was sitting on the table. She placed her hand over top of it; closing her eyes. Suddenly her eyes flew opened; they were now a magnificent shade of blue. Eilwen slowly raised her hand that rested over the cup. A small, stretched column of water followed the upward motion of her palm. She raised her other hand and slowly shaped the water into a small globe.
Merlin sat there dumbfounded. “Magic?”
“Something like that. Water sorcery.” Eilwen replied, visibly enthralled with Merlin’s reaction.
Just as quickly as she had started, Eilwen guided the water back to the cup; her eyes returning to their normal emerald color.
A wide smile broke across Merlin’s face. “That was brilliant! How did you do that?”
Eilwen shrugged. “Years of practice. And I guess it looks like you’re not the only one who has a big secret around here. Well, other than the obvious” Eliwen flexed her webbed fingers.
Merlin chuckled as Gaius returned to the small room. He had a lovely pair of white gloves in his hand. “Here you are, my lady.” He said presenting them to her.
Eilwen nodded in thanks and admired the gloves.
“Did you two behave while I was away?” he asked.
Merlin looked at Gaius and smiled “I think we got along just swimmingly.”