An Unlikely Visitor

Not Alone

Merlin couldn’t sleep that night; and this time it wasn’t because of the floor. For the rest of the afternoon and into the evening Merlin asked as many questions as he could think of about water sorcery.
Eilwen had told him that it was an ability that her people were born with and as they grew, so did their abilities. The most powerful mermyds were the elders; they were the ones who had the most control over their powers.
“So, you’re not in control of your abilities?” Merlin had asked.
“Not quite.” Eilwen had replied. “My sorcery is fueled by my emotions. If I were to get incredibly upset about something; well, let’s just not think about that.”
“That sounds like me.” Merlin said, a tad bashful. “I can control it most of the time, but there are moments where I feel it’s controlling me.”
Eilwen nodded. “That’s exactly like me! I’m so glad to hear someone else has that problem. Back home, I’m the only one out of my four-hundred and fifty brothers and sisters who can’t completely control their powers.”
“Woah, big family. Family reunions must be a laugh” Merlin said.
Eilwen groaned. “You have no idea. But, who wants to hear about my family troubles. What about you? Are you the only one who can use magic here or are there others?”
“If there were I wouldn’t know.” Merlin replied simply. “Uther outlawed magic.”
“What? But how can that be? If we were not allowed to practice our water magic it would be just like telling us we’re no longer allowed to breathe!”
“Well, it’s not exactly like that, but it’s just as bad. I have to keep my powers hidden from everyone. It does become quite troublesome at times.”
“I can imagine.” Eilwen said. “I just feel so sorry for you. Having to keep your true self hidden like that.” She reached across the table and placed her hand upon Merlin’s.
Merlin, taking full advantage of Eilwen’s sympathy, gave the best forlorn look he could muster. “Oh yes, it is absolutely dreadful. Having to hide something from the people who are closest to me, it really hurts inside.”
Eilwen nodded. “I can tell. But, you don’t have to feel alone anymore.”
Merlin considered this. Eilwen was right; he wasn’t alone anymore.
“Yeah,” he said smiling. “I guess I’m not.”