Status: This story is on the back burner for now, but if you message me/comment for an update I will get one done. Eventually this will be finished.

Lost on the Island

Temporary Home

Melina's POV

I hate it when people are sad.

And this house, is full of them.

It's impossible not to feel dreary on a day like today, in general. It's raining, pouring actually, and dark clouds cover the sky. Everyone is sitting in the living room area. Ellie and Peter are sitting very closely together, hand in hand. Ellie looks as if she's going to burst out crying at any moment. Mitch is leaning stonily against a wall, staring into space. Ryan is the one who breaks my heart the most, though. His normally cheery personality has completely shut off, and his eyes are glazed over. I'm a bit of a wreck myself, but I'm pretty sure I'm the most composed one in this room.

The only one missing is Leah.

"We need to have a funeral," I say, suddenly. Everyone looks up at me.

"But it's pouring rain outside," Mitch says.

"But it's the right thing to do," I say, touching him gently on the shoulder. This gentle consolation doesn't get past anyone in the room I'm sure.

"Melina is right," Ellie says shakily. Peter sqeezes her hand.

"I'm with Ellie. It's what's right," he says.

"Mitch? Ryan?" I ask. Mitch nods, so I take that as a yes.

"I guess so," Ryan says, staring at the ground.

"Fine, it's decided then. Everyone meet outside in ten minutes," I direct. Everyone nods and leaves to try and find umbrellas or jackets. I grab Ryan's arm as he tries to leave.

"What?" he asks, sounding tired.

"I need you to bring...Penelope...to the funeral," I tell him. He looks a little upset by the thought of being the one to bring her, but he nods.

"Ok," he says, going upstairs. I go to my room and grab my purple raincoat. I put the hood up as I sit in the living room to wait for the others.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mitch's POV

My heart feels like ice as we trek to the burial spot. It's the same place Leah and I buried all of our friends. Poor Leah...

But enough of that. I have to concentrate on getting to the beach. When I see white sand, I know that we're close. We walk for another five minutes to reach the cove.

"This...is where everyone is buried?" Melina asks me. I nod.

"I found it one day...and I thought to myself...it's almost like a heaven on Earth," I tell her. She nods, looking around. I can tell this is a part of the island she's never been before. As a matter of fact, it appears that I'm the only one in the group who even knew this place existed. It is a little hard to find.

"If only it were sunny, I bet it'd be even more beautiful," Melina says, looping her arm with mine and pulling me to face the sea.

"It is," I reply. That's all I can think of to say. We stand in silence for a moment as we wait for Ryan and I dig the grave. I gave him pretty good directions, and he's good with that kind of thing so he should be here any moment. As predicted, he walks onto the scene three minutes later with the small box in his arms.

Penelope.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ryan's POV

My heart is so numb I can't feel it. I'm lost in a sea of emotions I never knew I could feel. Leah hates me now, that I'm sure of. If I even doubted it, all I have to remember is her screams of hate.

*Flashback*

"I did it," she murmered, closing her eyes and sighing with relief. I gently hand Leah her child, not knowing what else to do. The change in her eyes is almost instantaneous as she glances lovingly at her young daughter, a still born. Too young to die. Her eyes go from a warm sun ray to an icy wind.

"Leah, I'm so sorry," is all I can manage to say. I brace myself for the tears, but instead all I get is hate.

"You did this! It's all your fault! I hate you!" she says, continuing to throw all the insults she can think of at me.

"Leah, there was nothing I could do. She was born that way," I say, begining to lose focus. Her insults are like taking a knife to my chest over and over again. I want to crumple to the floor, but I know I have to stay strong.

"You idiot, I trusted you. And now look, she's dead. Why did you even come here? Go to hell!" she says, screaming at me. Mitch busts open the door.

"What's going on? Is the baby here?" he asks, seeing Penelope in Leah's arms. As he looks closely, he knows what happened.

"She's not here. And it's all Ryan's fault! I hate him, and I hate this child. And I hate everyone! The only one I want is Frankie!" she says, pushing her child away from her.

"Leah, it's nobody's fault. These things happen," Mitch says, trying to sound soothing, although it's easy to see he's sad about the loss too.

"It's Ryan's fault, let him take her. It's his dead child now," she says, getting out of bed and walking into the annexed bathroom. We hear the door lock click into place. I look at Mitch for help, but he's just as clueless as me. How could this happen?

*End of Flashback*

As I stand, looking out to the stormy sea, I know that I'll never be whole again. Broken by my first crush, and now broken by my first love, I don't know that I really have much to live for. My whole life, all I've ever wanted is for someone to love me. Someone who isn't forced to because of being related to me. My parent's support me, but I know that they're embarressed of what a nerd I am. My dad was the football captain and my mom the cheerleader on the top of the pyramid back in the day. So I can't really blame their embarressment, how could they possibly understand me?

"So...we've all gathered here today to honor a life too soon taken by God almighty," Mitch murmers. Everyond bows their head except for me. I continue to watch the waves crash as I hold the little box that will soon be lowered in the ground. For good.

"I think we should join hands," Melina says, grabbing Mitch and Ellie's hands. Everyone follows suit, and I somehow find myself between Peter and Mitch. We're not holding hands because I'm holding the box, but they have their hands on my shoulders. Guys aren't really the emotional type, but I can tell they both deeply feel the loss in different ways. I think they're both thinking about their girls.

Mitch murmers a quick prayer, and I realize I didn't know he was spiritual. Maybe death brings that side out of people.

"If anyone has anything they'd like to say, now would be a good time," he says.

"Dear little Penelope would have been a beautiful girl just like her mother, and she'll be missed," Ellie says, a tear falling down her cheek. I can see Peter squeeze her hand a little. It's suprisingly appropriate for Ellie to say those words, even though she didn't really know Leah all that well. She's just kind and open like that.

For another minute, nobody says anything. I suppose it's because Ellie said all that really can be said. But then, I decide otherwise.

"Penelope, I know that your mom blames me for what happened, but I know you know otherwise. You'd have been smart, funny, and clever just like your mom. I don't know if I believe in it, but I hope you go to heaven. And if you see my dog Skipper there, be sure to give him a good petting me me," I say, not really sure where any of that came from or if it's even relevant. Funerals kind of do that to people, make them rant about whatever makes them feel better.

"We hope that Penelope will find a place with you, God, and find peace in your love. Amen," Mitch says, taking the small box from my arms. Just as he's about to lower her into the ground, there's a rustling from the jungle near by.

"Mitch, you don't even know if you believe in God," Leah says. She looks tired, but in a better state of mind. She's changed into a new shirt and jeans and combed her hair. To anyone else, she'd look a mess. But I think she's pretty.

"I just...it's the right thing to do," Mitch says, looking suprised. Leah walks over to him and takes the box from him.

"My little girl, we never even met, but I love you. Wherever your journey takes you, I hope you find your dad. I bet he's been waiting for you. And maybe someday you'll have a sister. And I'll tell her your story. You won't be forgotten, but always in my heart," Leah says, her voice shaking in the end. Then she hands the box back to Mitch and stands beside him as he lowers Penelope into the hole he dug. I start to turn around to leave, but then the most amazing thing happens.

A voice, loud and clear, sounds out through the air. A beautiful voice...a sad voice...a hopeful voice.

A voice that could only belong to an angel.

And she begins to sing.

When she gets to the chorus, Ellie and Melina begin to cry. I glace at Mitch and I'm suprised to see tears falling silently down his face.

"This is my temporary home,
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know,
this is my temporary home."

She continues to sing the song, which is more fitting than I'd originally though. It's all about not being afraid, because we'll all go to heaven some day. And everything's going to be ok.

When Leah finishes the song, there's not a dry eye in the circle.

"I love it when you sing, Leah. I'm sure Penelope liked it too," Mitch says, smiling gently at his sister. She hugs him, sobbing into his shoulder. Somehow, the pieces are fitting back together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just in case you don't know, the song I chose for Leah is Temporary Home by Carrie Underwood. I hope that you guys liked this chapter, and sorry it took so long. More to come soon hopefully. The story is almost done!
~Carly