Directions

hello again

My fingers touched the blood that had dried to my right cheek and they moved down to where my lip had split and swollen. I moved my legs and put my hands to the floor to push myself up. I'd made it to my knees and I could already feel the ache that was going to hit me once I stood upright.

I started to count to three under my breath taking in big gulps of air between each number. Before I'd reached three, I saw a shadow and then little feet in black pumps. I pushed off my knees and tried to find my feet, but stumbled. With out a second thought, my hand shot out and this girl happily gave me her arm and helped me to my feet.

"I'm okay." I mumbled, letting go of her arm, slightly embarrassed.

"Do you want me to help you get home?" She asked.

It took a while for her words to sink in. It wasn't usual for people in Pontypridd to help others out but there was something in her accent that told me Pontypridd wasn't quite home.

"I'll be fine." I said, knowing I wouldn't be going home until I was certain everyone was in bed.

"You sure?" She said, prepared for me to stumble again.

I just nodded and looked around before wobbling off down the road.

I walked away from town and away from all the pubs and clubs. I was easy pickings for anyone looking for a fight and my body couldn't take another beating. I followed the railings of the park and eventually reached an opening. I wandered along the path and passed the play area where 13 year olds drank ginger beer and chain smoked until the early hours of the morning.

Finding a bench under a tree, I released the weight off my feet. I closed my eyes for a minute. My head was thumping like a killer hang over and I'd only managed to have two drinks. I opened my eyes to shiver as I realised my jacket was still sat in the club with my friends who were probably unaware of my absence.

I glanced along the path and saw a figure hanging around. They were too far in the distance for my eyes to focus on their face, but I stood up and walked away. I needed to keep away from trouble for the rest of the night so I left the park and wandered up the street. Finding a nice piece of wall, I sat on the pavement and rested against the brick.

This was generally a quiet part of town. The few shops that were at the end of the road had been shut down and the elderly occupied the few houses. It alarmed me to see someone on the same side of the street as me. I stood up, still using the wall as a prop, but I find standing up makes me look slightly more intimidating, therefore less likely to be attacked.

The person only came a few steps closer and I squinted with only one working street light to help me. This was a person I recognised. I smiled slightly, hoping she'd be able to see in the dark.

"Are you following me?" I called, standing away from the wall and facing her direction.

She took a few more steps towards me, "I had to be sure you got home safely."

I fell back against the wall again and smiled to myself.

"Are you going home at all tonight?" She asked, with a half grin.

"Hanging on for a bit so I don't have to explain all this." I waved my finger towards my face and the purple patches that I could feel pull tight each time I moved.

There was a very long silence. She stood there, arms crossed and trying to tuck further into her jacket. Her fringe, that looked as if it had been left to grow for a few extra months, fell slightly across her face as she looked at my feet. It was an awkward moment.

I slowly sat back on the floor. She didn't seem like she was up for a fight and I assumed she'd never thrown a punch towards anyone so I relaxed a little as she plonked herself on the floor to.

I frowned at her, slightly confused.

"I'm making sure you stay safe." She flashed all her teeth at me and I instantly smiled back.