Sequel: Capella
Status: DONE!

Not Another Teenage Vampire Story

Suspicious Of Evil

“Mels?!” A familiar voice yelled. I dragged my feet through the doorway. I was back in enemy territory. It sure looked the same; it still gave off the same creepy perfect model home look, only now I really knew just how fake it was. It smelled too strongly of potpourri.

The only difference was the crowd of strangers dispersed around it. “Let me introduce you to our new friends.” Ryan draped his arm over my shoulder and led me deeper into hell then I already was. I flinched at his touch. We started at the far end of the room and he threw names at me so fast I didn’t even try to remember them. Only a few stuck out in my head. There were two girls on the couch next to Max, flirting shamelessly. One had brown and blonde hair and reminded me of Bubbles the Powerpuff girl. Yet she seemed like she’d rip your head off if you crossed her path the wrong way. The other girl seemed a tad more dark. She had black hair and a face that screamed ‘touch me and you die.’ She had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth which she passed to the blonde. As we approached they directed their attention to me. I felt judged as they looked me up and down. “This is Hannah and Dianne.” Ryan introduced. I nodded and they threw daggers at me with their eyes before directing their attention back to Max.

The next stop on the tour was someone I recognized. “No need for introductions here.” Ryan commented as he walked away smirking. God, he was evil.

“Edward.” I stated. He couldn’t look me in the eyes. I don’t blame him, I had trusted him. I thought he was my friend. I guess no one on this earth is to be trusted.

“Chicky.” He answered back still not meeting my eyes.

“Ahem.” I hadn’t noticed someone else standing next to Edward until now. He was pretty tall, taller than Edward at least; I don’t know how I missed him.

“Oh. Chicky, this is Craig.” He gestured to Mr. Tall Creepy Vampire Boy. I had to admit he was mesmerizing. He had this attitude about him that made you stare longer than necessary. Like I happened to be doing now…

“Pleasure to meet you,” He interrupted my thoughts. He gave a smirk and made a show out of it by bowing low, “Madam.” Chills ran up my back. Jeeze, all I needed was another creepy arrogant vampire to deal with. I gave him a quick unsure smile and took two steps back. As soon as their attention focused somewhere else I ran for the couch. I know me and Max hadn’t exactly left off on a good note but anything was better than schmoozing with a bunch of blood crazy demons.

“Hi Max.” I mumbled as I slid myself on the couch next to him. He glanced over at me from the girls that were practically on top of him. If I wasn’t afraid for my life I would’ve called them some names that would put my mother to shame. But when he looked at me, I forgot about the girls. His face was different from how I remembered it. It used to look so stress free and easygoing. Now he seemed worried and his eyes, which had dark circles under them, looked as if they were holding a dark secret.

“Hey.” He answered in a monotone voice. My God Maxi, what have they done to you? “Can I talk to you for a second?” He added sounding a little more himself. I still didn’t buy it.

“Sure.” I questioned, eyeing his following of girls. I wanted to make sure it was okay with them just in case they decided to eat me out of jealousy. They weren’t even paying attention. I followed Max up the stairs, dodging questioning looks from every pair of eyes in the room. Once we got into my old bedroom he closed the door and turned my radio on the loudest it could go. “Max what are you-“

“Shh!” He put a finger to my lips to silence me. He leaned in closer and even though it shouldn’t have, my heard still sped up from his touch. “Something is wrong here; we need to get out of this apartment.” He whispered urgently in my ear. Every few seconds he would glance back at the door.

Oh my God, how much did he know? Was he allowed to know? What would they do to him if they found out? Oh no oh no oh no. “Don’t worry.” He whispered, trying to calm the frantic thoughts running through my head. Oh boy, if only he knew.

“I’m okay,” I lied. “What do you think is going on?” I leaned on my bed and he followed. His mind was somewhere else, lost in thoughts about how to begin to tell me what he suspects. “I think.. I think Rye’s the leader of...”

“The leader of what?” I pressed on, biting my lip.

“Some sort of gang or something. Mel it’s freaky the way they act. All their eyes… they’re red. Probably some sort gang symbol. I don’t know what they want with us but Mel… I think they killed my parents.”

I let out a breath, “Oh Max.” I sighed and grabbed him into a hug. He was perceptive, but not perceptive enough to figure it all out. I pretended to ponder in thought for a while and then spoke as I let him go. “Okay well here’s what I think. I think we should lay low and pretend we don’t suspect anything. Obviously we are insanely outnumbered. So we can just pretend everything’s fine until we find a way to escape. Everything’s going to be okay Max.”

He thought about it for a bit and his lips slowly curled into a smile. “Where would I be without you, babe?” I looked away. He wouldn’t be in this mess if it wasn’t for me. I’m cursed, I swear. Every guy I love is eventually put in danger; it’s just how things work. I returned the smile. My plan was gonna be harder to carry out now that I had to deal with Max too. But I’d get him out of here. I’d get us both out of here. “Oh and Mel?” he whispered, lifting my chin till my eyes met his.

“Hm?” I half answered.

Then before I could register what was happening he leaned down and kissed me lightly. “I missed you,” he whispered.

Oh Geeze.