Status: on hold

King Without a Crown

The Blue Moon

The Blue Moon. One of the many clubs Sanders owned. She was here. The newest BMW Beamer you could get in a dark classy blue. I walked in. Lights flashed. Few people were there. It was early. The ones here were the sleezy old men with nothing better todo than spend money. These weren't any strippers. No. Burlesque dancers. I sat at the bar. My eyes scanned the room. She didn't come into view.

Bartender: hello Miss.

He placed a cup and poured a drink. I looked at it.

Bartender: compliments.

He glanced down the bar. Matt Barry. One of two. He is a twin. His brother. Jason Barry. Both working for opposite families. Both the lowest ranking of the top four in the families. A soilder in simpiler terms. I looked at the drink. When I'm on the job I don't drink. I keep myself sharp. My eyes glanced over at him. He was talking to her. Just who I wanted. As always dressed in a fine pressed pencil skirt suit. She made her way over.

Jenn: bar keep a drink please.

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

Jenn: I've never seen you in here before.

Melly: first time.

Jenn: that so.

Melly: I'm new to the area.

Jenn: thought so. I can tell from your body language.

Melly: that obvious huh?

She smiled.

Jenn: how long are you in town for?

Melly: awhile.

Jenn: do you need a job?

Melly: I'm not much of a bartender.

Jenn: oh no. I was thinking more along the lines of that.

She pointed at the stage.

Jenn: we're always looking for new girls.

Melly: I've never done that before.

Jenn: I'm sure you haven't Melly.

Clever woman. I'd have to watch out for this one.

Jenn: let's go talk in the back.

Melly: let's talk right here.

I said as she finished her sentence.

Melly: I see you've taken on the other Barry.

Jenn: yes. I know about you.

I glanced at her. Her lipstick covered lips pulled into a smile.

Jenn: who hired you?

Melly: aw see I thought you knew me.

Her eyes narrowed. Matt joined us.

Jenn: Him.

I stared at her pretty face.

Jenn: whatever he is paying I'll double if you don't go through with it.

What a nice proposition. Four million instead of two did sound good to me.

Melly: would that be wise? I'm actually shocked at you for jumping to conclusions Jenn.

She perked a brow.

Jenn: and why is that?

Melly: how do you know I'm even working for him. I could just be looking for work. I noticed the sudden uprise between the families.

Jenn: if you tell me you haven't heard what's happened I know you're full of shit.

Melly: oh no. I heard. That's why I'm even here. So you guys snuffed out the top dog. Good job.
Came to congradulate you myself.

Jenn: yes well that isn't necessary.

Matt: we didn't take him out.

She gave him a glare.

Melly: really now? I find that hard to believe. Who else would it be? I can't even think of another family more qualified then yours to do the job.

Jenn: Matt keep your mouth shut. She's pretty but don't let that fool you.

Her eyes focused back on me. I smiled.

Melly: there is one other possible family if it wasn't you that I could think of.

She huffed out a laugh.

Jenn: ha! That family are worthless pieces of shit. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Melly: just a thought.

Jenn: they haven't been organized, active, or even smart enough to keep up on things. They only do petty work. Worthless. What a waste of such a pristeige name. Old Baker died years ago anyway. There's no one left to take his place.

Melly: true I'd forgotten that detail.

Jenn: no this was someone with skill.

Melly: you can lie to me all you want Jenn. I can smell a Sanders hired hit man from a mile away. It seems only fair for them to take-

Jenn: I'll kill you before you finish that sentence.

She aimed her desert eagle in my face. The silver and black gun meant death to most. For me it was a challenge. I could kill her but that would be no good for me at this point. Matt Barry held is gun out aswell. An all black 9 mm.

Melly: don't be so stupid.

I slapped her gun out of my face. She aimed it back.

Melly: if you want me to believe you I will say it. But I don't. Its clear someone on your side made the hit.

I smiled.

Melly: And its obvious they didn't want you to know.

She cocked her gun.

Melly: I can tell some of the Sanders short tempered qualities have rubbed off on you. I'm not here to anger you.

Jenn: then why are you here? If you're not working for him than you're working for the cops.

She put the tip of her gun on my temple.

Melly: it wouldn't benifit me to work for the cops. We'd all go down then.

Her eyes were filled with skeptisism.

Melly: I'm just making my presence known. I'm available if you need me.

I stood up.

Melly: thank you for the drink Matt. I'll give your brother your reguards if I see him.

His eyes narrowed. Just like that I left. My boots lightly scrapping the pavement as I walked down the street. So they are paranoid. I saw a nice little yellow Porsche up a head. That would have todo. I slipped on my gloves and walked up to the car. No car alarm. It was to easy. Yes way to easy. I looked around. There was a Bently parked across the street. I see. A gift. I got in the car. The key in the passanger seat. Speeding as I always do I headed for the otherside of town. Where I had a meeting with Brian Haner Jr. The new head of the Haner house. He didn't have a hard time filling his fathers shoes. He was defitnatly ready for taking lead. Out of all of the Haner children he was the most promising. He did anything to help further his knowledge in this business. At the age of seventeen he was placed incharge of recruits. At twenty he started with buying businesses for his father. At twenty two he went to jail for his father. That same year his father made him the most he could be at the time. His right hand man. Now at the age of twenty six he was the top man. The very source of it all. I parked my car a block away. Chilly day for this time of year. I could still smell the rain from the day before. There he was. Sitting in a local diner. His dark hair, high cheek bones, and chocolate eyes. He was a ladies man for sure. A beautiful creature. As I approached a smug smile graced his lips.

Brian: hello, what brings a pretty little thing like you in this shit hole.

I sat down.

Melly: Brian Haner Jr.

Brian: I bet. Sorry but I don't have time for play.

Melly: me either.

His eyes looked me up and down.

Brian: Melly.

Melly: Brian.

Brian: sure have grown.

Melly: yes that happens overtime.

Brian: so what can you tell me that I don't already know?

Melly: they've got the other Barry.

Brian: that right? Hmm...shame him and his brother couldn't have worked things over. A woman is nothing that should come between brothers. Then again women are the deadliest things out there. Still they would have been more powerful together.

Melly: they claim the hit came from else where.

Brian: bullshit.

Melly: that's what I told her. You cannot fool me. Its my line of expertise.

He nodded.

Melly: when?

Brian: as soon as possible.

Melly: ofcourse. Now, I'll be seeing you around.

He gave another nodd. Visits with him were quick and to the point. No need for dilly daddle. I looked down the street. The yellow Porsche was gone. Just as I expected it to be. One time ride. Yellow isn't really my color anyway. I walked quickly down the street. My body was pulled and slammed harshly into a wall. The fingers around my neck dug into my skin.

Melly: is this really necessary Matt?

Matt: just watching out for my kinsmen.

His 9 mm was held beneath my chin. Pressing hard. I never showed any pain. That was a sign of weakness.

Matt: you know once I tell them they'll come after you.

Melly: like to see them try.

He pulled me forward and slammed me again.

Melly: Matt you know better than this. If I tell them about us. Well then they'll come after you.

He shoved his gun harder.

Melly: your family first then you to make sure you see them die.

Matt: they would never believe you.

Melly: it just takes my word. Anyones word to light a spark of doubt in this world. You know that. They already know why you and your brother don't talk.

I smiled. He grimaced.

Matt: don't talk about my brother. I'll kill him myself for what he did.

Melly: and he'd do the same. Both of you are at risk if you talk. Either way your family would die. Working for the big bosses in town isn't as safe for you as you thought. Plus I'm only offereing my services. A girl has to get work to get paid.

Matt: I'll still kill him.

Melly: Jason isn't worth it Matt. You know I'd choose you over him anyday.

Matt: to late for that.

Melly: yes it is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blue Moon you saw me standing alone