Status: on hold

King Without a Crown

The Pick Up

James Sullivan. Jimmy to his close friends. A man who knows how to have a good time. A man who also knows when its time for business. Haner's second hand man. The only man Brian would ever trust with his money. His blue eyes watched my every move. He was sharp and very coy. Tall, slender, even a little goofy looking. But he was nothing to ignore in the heat of a gun fight.

Melly: Hello James.

Jimmy: Melly. I've got it. I just want to know why I should give it to you? You were seen meddling with Reinelle and the other Barry.

Melly: and? My job is to help you out. In order for me to do that, I need to meddle.

He scrunched his face.

Jimmy: your not being very subtle about your stay here.

Melly: I don't appreciate being watched James.

Jimmy: its a mere precaution. You don't have to kill them though.

Melly: there's no other way to keep them quiet.

Jimmy: we threw in an extra fifty thousand.

Melly: why?

Jimmy: so you don't keep killing the peons.

Melly: ha. You're paying me two mill to bring you a woman alive and you expect fifty grand will stop me from killing a no body. Give me a fucking break Jimmy.

Jimmy: look just don't kill them ok. Its hard to send bitches out when they know they won't come back.

Melly: people aren't like they used to be huh. Where they didn't fear death.

Jimmy: I know. There's very few left and they are hard to come by. For all of us.

Melly: well that's not my problem.

Jimmy: it is when you start killing them.

Melly: no. I'm going to kill anyone who might get in my way. I don't care what side he's on. I do not need to be watched. Brian already knows I've seen Reinelle.

Jimmy: like I said its just a precaution. We've got to be careful.

Melly: you do. Just not with me. I'm in this for the money. Nothing more. You guys can keep your rivalries to yourselves. Now I'd like my pay please.

He threw a wad of cash across the table.

Jimmy: half plus the fifty grand. You'll get the rest when your work is done.

I flipped threw it.

Jimmy: its all there. You know where to find us if its not.

I nodded.

Jimmy: tell me what does a hit man sorry woman do with all the cash she gets?

Melly: wouldn't you like to know.

He smiled.

Melly: its been fun James. But I've got to get going. You know how it is. Work.

Jimmy: yes. Becareful. The Seward kid has gotten quick.

Melly: I'm not to concerned.

All these guys under estimate me. I've been doing this for a long time. They seem to forget that. I got onto my new red bike and disappeared. Towns are all the same. Same big buildings. Same burly thugs. Same shady back alleys. Nothing changes. This ride I had now wasn't going to do for tonight. I left it in a parking garage of a hotel. I made my way to the valet downstairs.

Melly: umm valet.

Valet: yes mam?

Melly: can I get my car.

I handed him my ticket. Minutes later my car pulled up. The only one I never got rid of. The only one I ever fully trusted when I even thought I might need speed.

Valet: here you are mam. That's a nice ride.

Melly: oh the only car made for me.

He smiled. I handed him a hundred. A Viper. Black everything. Black rims, black tinted windows, black leather seats. A hard top. I have no need for a convertible. Best gift ever given to me. I sped down the city streets. Passing red lights and dodging traffic. My hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. Perhaps tighter than I needed. I parked in the darkest corner. My gun was snug to my right side. This was the fun part. What I lived for. The capture. Sanders estate. Huge mansion on an even bigger piece of property. Distractions are not my style. I just go in for the kill. It doesn't matter if they see me. I'll be done by the time they even think about doing something. Dogs. So typical. Easily taken care of. Snap of the neck and they are dead. Funny how similar it can be to taking a person out. I heard a voice. Male. I didn't want to have to kill anyone if I didn't need to. Not yet anyway. Matt Barry. Taking a stroll in the backyard. Drinking. The man was already gone. Wasted as he stumbled away from bushes. Idiots. All of them. Drinking when there is death wished upon them. Lucky for me he'd left the back door wide open. I slipped past him and into the house. Listening for any indication of an encounter I should avoid. Muffled voices fluttered about. Nothing of importance.

Jenn: Matthew, she's a threat. If Haner hires her first...I'm just saying becareful when you're out. Yes, I'll be sure.

I smiled. So Sanders is out. Having a night on the town. Her footsteps grew louder then stopped. I pressed myself on the wall. Quieting my breath as much as possible. The cocking of her gun let me know she felt me there. Her footsteps were light. I held my breath. Her gun hung passed the wall. I drew mine quickly and placed it at her temple. She held still and her eyes looked straight.

Melly: drop it.

Jenn: no.

Melly: I'd prefer to take you alive.

Jenn: I thought you said you weren't working for him.

Melly: I thought you knew me. Now drop your gun Jenn.

Jenn: I said no.

I smiled. Grabbed her gun before she could react and pistol whipped her. She fell limp to the floor. I aimed her Desert Eagle at her.

Melly: bang bang.

I slipped it in my waistband. I went to work tying her up. Gagging her mouth so you couldn't hear her scream. Although that wouldn't be like her to scream. Jenn Reinelle. As beautiful as you are, it can't save you. Some high powered bitch. I dragged her to the back door. Matt Barry stood there. Wide eyed.

Matt: what are you doing!

Melly: my job. Guess who sent the message. Your dear brother Jason.

I smiled. He lept for me but I stepped aside. He fell to the floor.

Melly: I won't kill you. You won't remember this in the morning anyway. You're too drunk.

I knocked him out. Finally I heard shouting. Security. Now this would be fun. With all I could I picked Jenn up and threw her on my shoulder. Dead weight slows you down. I drew my gun.

Security: STOP! WE WILL SHOOT!

Melly: then shoot!

Gun shots rang in the air. I hurled her body as far as I could. It landed with a hard crunch on the pavement. I looked at what I had to deal with five or so security. Easy enough. More dogs. They were all running towards me. I pulled the trigger. First man gone. Right in the throat. Trigger. Man down. Trigger. Another man down. Kick to the head, trigger pull, dog dead. I drew Jenn's gun and unleashed my fury. Shot after shot rang out. Yelling. My yelling. The blood stained the perfect grass green. Once I was out of bullets man to man combat. I headed full sprint towards those left. Fist to jaw. Elbow to gut. Knee to groin. Foot to back of knee. Gun ripped out of hand. Round fired. Another man down. Fist to my face. Snap of the neck dead. My breathing was fast as I looked them all. Deceased. I picked up mine and Jenn's gun. Reloading mine. I'm going to need it. Sirens sang far in the distance. Time for us to go. I crouched next to Jenn.

Melly: I think you broke your shoulder. Shame.

Blood seeped a bit from her mouth. I picked her up and put her in the passenger seat. I sped off just as the cop lights came into view. My heart raced to what felt like the same speed of the Viper. I drove around for two hours. Making it impossible to follow me if someone was. Which I was sure someone was attempting to. A moan filled the car. I smiled at the pain filled one that followed. Her eyes were wide. As soon as they landed on me anger filled them. As she attempted to wriggle free, she moaned again.

Melly: shhh...I suggest not moving much. Your shoulder is broken.

She tried to move it and kicked the floor as a result. The heel on her one shoe broke.

Melly: you have to understand Jenn. Its nothing personal. Just business.

She glared at me. I leaned over and opened the door.

Melly: business like I said. I'll be seeing you soon.

I kicked her out of the car and sped off. Tomorrow I would come to collect. As I drove back into the city I passed a Bently. When I looked in my rear view mirrior it was turning down another street. I went back to the hotel to get the bike. From there I went back to the Sanders mansion. Cop cars were all over the place.