London Calling

Prologue

Trafalgar Square, London

It was only our second day in London, but somehow Zack had managed to drag us all out to the biggest and gayest party in London. I knew it wasn’t merely a coincidence that he had managed to book our flights so that arrived the day before. It gave us just enough time to get over jet lag and get ready to start partying. Now don’t get me wrong I love a party just as much as the next guy but this was different. None of us were really comfortable with the idea of being there but Zack was so excited we didn’t want to disappoint him. I couldn’t remember the last time he was so happy and I didn’t want the smile to leave his face.

Something had been bothering for a while, something big. Not that he told us, we could just tell. We did as much as we could to keep him distracted, so he would he would be happy even if it was only for a little while. So when he announced on the morning of ‘Pride London’ that we were all going, dressed head to toe in white and pink, with a rainbow flag around his neck we didn’t complain.

Zack came out as bi around the time we first started to get somewhere with the band. I had always suspected he might have liked boys as well as girls, but I didn’t really expect it to be true. When he told me, I half expected him to tell me he had feelings for me, I wasn’t being arrogant or anything, but the two of us have always been close so it wouldn’t have surprised me. I was tempted to ask but I thought he might hit me.

When he broke the news to everyone else, he was terrified at how his friends and family would react. Of course everyone was so supportive, most just said he was clarifying what they already knew. This amused me to no end because he had prepared a speech about how everyone should accept him for who he is and he was super pissed off that he did get to use it.

Ever since then it’s always seemed like he’s been hiding something. Like he was holding something else that scared him too much to reveal it. I don’t know what could be scarier than coming out. I wanted to ask, on many occasions, I would bring it up casually, trying to catch him off guard but he would always change the subject. I didn’t want to force it out of him, but seeing him become increasingly more upset was eating me up inside.

I hoped that on this holiday I would bring the truth out of him, one way or another. Pride however wasn’t the right time. Zacky was happy being his fruity little self, I didn’t want to bring him down, he was having too much fun. But I couldn’t put this off forever.