Status: Active

Autumn, Bekkah, and Joanne's Adventures

Autumn's Secret

Whenever I found out about Matt's friend, Ruby, passed away of Leukemia, old memories came back to me. Joanne was too busy comforting Matt, and Tom was in deep thought, so there I was, just crying secretly. The room grew quiet, like death. I had to leave, but couldn't. Thank God Tom finally left, and I stood there with Joanne and Matt. I stood there as the morning after Liam died came back into my memory.

His translucent skin felt like stone. His body felt like a freezer. His chest was empty. No more heartbeat to lull me to sleep, no more heartbeat to comfort me when I needed it, and no more heartbeat to conjoin with mine. Sleeping next to him wasn't the same, but I tried to cherish it, because it would be the last time I would ever get to hold him again. I was in denial. I kept telling myself, "It's just a nightmare. When you wake up, Liam will assure you he'll be OK." But I knew deep down it was real. Liam was dead, and he was never coming back.

"It's OK, Autumn. It'll be OK. Ruby's in heaven." Matt tried to comfort me, because I was crying.

"Well, what if Heaven doesn't exist? If God is so great then why does he take out the GOOD people and not the BAD ones who deserve to die? Huh? TELL ME THAT, MATT!" I exclaimed.

Matt looked astonished. I didn't blame him, though. It was unlike me to blow up like that.

"Autumn's been having it hard for the past couple of months..." murmured Joanne.

"Joanne... Please..." I croaked.

"Babe, you have to say something..." whispered Joanne.

"What?" asked Matt curiously.

"I had this boyfriend for six years named Liam. We were engaged to be married and had our whole lives planned out perfectly. That was, until, the Leukemia he had when he was three came back to him, this time terminal. He died a couple of months ago, which is why I did the Harry Potter survey thing. It was just so hard to come home... To be reminded of him, and how he was taken away from me..." I cried, trying to hold back my tears.

Matt's facial expression changed. I could tell he did not see that coming. Nobody would ever see it coming, because I'm so good at hiding how I feel. Good thing Tom wasn't in here. I didn't want him to think I was some broken train wreck, even if I was.

"Look, just forget it. Don' tell Tom, because it's not your business to tell. Can you press that red button? I need my nurse to tell me when I'm getting the hell out of here. I just hate hospitals." I huffed.

Joanne pressed the button, and my nurse came in. Shockingly, my nurse was a man, Dr. Buo. He was a scrawny little Asian, but he was an overall nice guy, so no worries.

"Yes, Miss Rayne?" hummed Dr. Buo.

"When can I go home?" I pleaded.

"Tomorrow, actually. Is there anything else you might need?" he answered.

"No, Dr." I shook my head.

And with that, he was gone.