Win a date with Mitchel Musso

Chapter 3 The Only Chance

“There’s not a lot of publicity here,” Mitchel commented as we stepped into the tiny building. I could see why. The smell of garlic bread wafted through the air, and only a few couples were crammed into the restaurant.

“Ah, Mr. Musso... right this way.” A short man with an Italian accent beckoned them to a table against the wall. He stood there watching us. I glimpsed him out of the corner of my eye. “Well, aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?” He asked Mitchel. Mitchel broke into a fake grin. “Right, this is my date, Daisie.” The man shook my hand firmly. “It’s nice to meet you, Daisie. What would you both like to drink?”

“I’d like a diet coke, please” Mitchel and I said at the same time. Then we looked at each other in surprise. “Eh, you are going on a diet?” He asked. I shook my head, then rolled my eyes when the waiter wasn’t looking. Our waiter scribbled something down, and said, “Right away,” as he walked off, stealing glances at us as he strode. “Wow,” Mitchel stated. “That was... interesting.”

I glanced at the menu. “What are you ordering?” I inquired. “Usually I have the Daily Double, which is where you choose two of the following:” Mitchel put on a fake Italian accent, “Ze Pizza, Ze Pasta, Ze Soup, or Ze Sal-ad.” I giggled. “Eh, I prefer ze Sal-ad and ze Pizza.” I replied, trying to keep a straight face as Mitchel grinned. Mitchel sipped his drink. I had been having such a good time I didn’t realize that our waiter had brought our diet cokes.

“So what will we order tonight?” The waiter took out his notepad. “Um, I will take ze Daily Double... I mean the Daily Double!” Mitchel corrected himself as I stifled a chuckle. “Soup and Pasta, please.” The waiter looked at me intently. “Same as him, but Salad and Pizza.” The waiter wrote the orders down, then quickly disappeared.

I was reading the dessert menu when I felt Mitchel’s eyes watching me. I looked up to find Mitchel’s deep brown eyes peering into my calm blue eyes. “You know, Daisie, I’ve never really had a date with someone like you.” “Thanks.” I said sarcastically. “No, I mean, you’re really unique. All of my other dates are, pardon my saying this, weird and ugly.” I bit my lip. “Thanks. I’m glad you don’t think I’m weird and ugly.” I said. I was trying to be humorous, but I guess Mitchel didn’t notice. “No... you look absolutely beautiful.”

My cheeks turned bright red and I turned away, flushing from his compliment. The waiter came back and set down our dishes. I picked up a slice of my pizza and nibbled on the end of it, watching Mitchel. He was oblivious to my staring eyes. He looked so cute, spooning up his soup and swallowing it. Mitchel glanced up and saw me, so I quickly grabbed my fork and tried to eat salad. “Uh, Daisie... wrong way.” I looked down to see that my fork was upside down—I was holding the pointy end. I laughed, embarrassed. “Ha, oh, right... Well, that’s how we do it in Kansas...”

“I’ll go with that...” replied Mitchel, chewing some pasta noodles. I could tell he liked me... he was flirting with me, just the way he looked at me...

The date flew by, and suddenly he had paid and we were in the elevator up to my room in the hotel. “It’s been fun tonight.” I felt so gentle and sweet and drooly... “Yeah, I had a good time.” I slid the key in the slot. “Thanks.” He said. “I’ll... see ya later.” I nodded. “Bye.” Mitchel shut the door and I was left inside. I had a great time... so why was my heart aching? Why did I feel like I was going to explode? My eyes watered up... Why am I being so selfish, I thought. What did I want to happen? What could have been better than that? The tears slid down my cheeks, and I collapsed on the bed. I knew what I wanted... and it wouldn’t ever happen.

Those lips on mine, his arms holding my waist... it would never happen. Mitchel would never fall for me on a single date. And that single date was the only chance I’d ever get.