‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

But I Come Back Around

After the show in Key West, the boys had three days before we had to go to Key Largo. Billie Joe had gotten us a room at a hotel a few minutes away from the one Mike and Tre were at, so we could be left in peace.

We were sitting on the beach at about 1 a.m. after the gig, just watching the waves hit the shore.
It was a nice summer night; the wind was light and the moon was almost full, we could see more stars than I'd ever seen before.

"Hey, Billie Joe?" I asked as I curled my toes in the damp sand.

"Yeah?"

"Can we be totally cheesy and walk along the water?" I suggested, making him chuckle.

"Alright," he nodded as he got up, taking my hand and lifting me off of the ground.

We walked hand in hand like all of the mushy couples did in California.

"Will you sing something, please?" I squoze his hand affectionately, hoping he'd comply.

"What do you want to hear?"

"Sing me a song for the century," I smiled, knowing he would pick the right thing.

Billie ran through his memory, I could tell when he found the perfect lyrics. It seemed so fitting for him to gently sing One for the Razorbacks and I really appreciated him trying to make me feel better any way he could.

Immediately after he finished singing, I pulled him to a halt and stood to face him.

"What?"

I stood there nervously, swaying a little.

"Just say it, Grace!" he laughed, putting a hand on my waist to steady me.

"I love you so much.. I'm sorry I haven't been acting like it. I don't know why I do it, but I don't mean to hurt you. I never wanted to hurt you," I blurted, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him in for a rough, desire-filled kiss.

We toppled onto the sand, laughing and kissing the entire time. Billie began to tug at the hem of my shirt, making me giggle.

"Billie Joe," I grinned, rolling over so I was sitting on top of him, our fingers laced together to keep me stable.

"What?" he finally asked, trying to control his laughter, which I hadn't heard in a while.

"I'm not having sex on a beach!" I told him, leaning down and kissing his neck, "But if we hurry back to the room..."

Within a split second, Billie was off the ground. He picked me up in his arms and ran back to our hotel room as fast as he possibly could.

I woke up the next morning feeling better than I had in a long time. I smiled when I saw Billie sleeping soundly beside me and I knew things were going to get better. While he slept I ordered breakfast from room service, then returned to the bed.

"Good morning, Beej," I greeted, running my fingers along his neck and through his dirty blond hair.

"Come on, let's go shower before room service comes."

His eyes snapped open and a smirk hit his lips as he hopped out of bed.

"Oh sweet jesus!" I laughed, shielding my eyes as Billie stood there in his naked glory.

"You love it," he teased, pulling me off of the bed and into the bathroom.

After breakfast we went into the main part of the island to explore. We took in the culture and bright sun, walking through shops and having a blast.

"How about these, Billie Joe?" I giggled, sliding a pair of ridiculously large sunglasses on my face.

He looked over, holding in a laugh.

"Come here, let me take a closer look."

I inched closer and he pulled me in for a sweet kiss.

"What was that for?" I asked after he pulled away.

"Just cause," he shrugged, a smirk on his face, "They're too big for your face."

"I realize that," I laughed, picking out a different pair and trying those on.

"Ooh, tortoise shell is so you!" he grinned, sliding on a matching pair in black.

"Hey, I really like these. Don't be rude," I told him.

"I'm not! They look good."

"Thanks," I flushed.

We got the faux-Ray Bans and went on our way down the bustling streets.

"I love it here," I grinned, wrapping one of my arms around his waist.

Billie threw his arm over my shoulder, pulling me into him as we walked.

A few hours passed and people started recognizing Billie Joe. People from the show last night saw us and approached Billie, asking him for autographs.

For some reason, I had always thought that I would be annoyed by fans, but I was enthralled. I stood aside so they could take pictures, and a few even spoke with me. I watched Billie greet every one of the fans thankfully; he was truly humbled, I could tell.

When the crowd dispersed, we went and got lunch.

"You were really cool back there," I told him as we sat eating peacefully.

"Thanks. I saw you having fun too. You even signed a few autographs," he smiled.

Two girls had asked me my name, and when I told them their mouths dropped.

"You're the Grace?" one had asked.

"Yeah?"

"I want someone to love me the way Billie loves you," the other told me.

"I'm extremely lucky. One day, you'll find that person and when you do, love them the same way they love you; unconditionally," I advised, giving them hugs and signing some postcards.

"They were awed by you, I could tell," Billie told me.

"I don't know why.. I'm just a girl!" I laughed, picking apart my bread.

"Maybe because you're so stunningly gorgeous? Smart? Determined? I could continue," he said, flashing me a crooked grin and making me blush.

I people-watched as we ate and noticed that a few of them were watching me too.

"Billie Joe, is there something on my face?" I asked, readjusting the sunglasses that sat on top of my head.

"No, why?"

"Cause people outside are staring at me."

"Ignore them," he said with a shrug.

"So where else are we going on this tour?"

"After going up western Florida, we're hitting up the Carolinas, the Midwest, Michigan, Minnesota, then a bunch of little random spots on the way home."

"That's a little sporadic, isn't it?"

"I know! But we're going on an East coast tour in the fall, so it works out."

"I guess," I nodded, "Whoever planned the stops is on some hot crack though."

Billie laughed, shaking his head as he picked at his food.

"Are you not hungry or something?" I asked, reaching over the table and feeling his forehead, "You don't have a fever.."

"I'm fine. Just not loving this food."

"Want to try mine?"

Billie took a bite of my sandwich and grinned.

"Good, huh?"

"It's delicious," he agreed.

"We can trade if you want."

"Do you mind?"

"Not at all," I told him as we switched plates.

"Thanks," he smiled like a little kid, reminding me why I loved him so much.

"Anytime," I said, taking a bite of what he had ordered; it wasn't too bad.

After lunch we made our way back to the hotel so we could change into our bathing suits and go to the beach. Billie Joe and I played around in the warm water, goofing off and having a blast.

"Hey Beej! I think I picked a major for when I start back up at school in the fall," I said as we just laid out on the warm sand.

"Yeah, and what would that be?" he asked, leaning his head down and peering at me over his new sunglasses.

"Business. Then I can go into fashion or interior design or anything I want to."

"Really? You're into clothes and decorating? I was hoping you'd be doing something with music production."

"But that's the great thing. I could minor in something like that, then start my own company."

"You're brilliant, Grace," Billie grinned, running his fingers along my leg.

"You seem to be on a one track mind, Mister Armstrong," I giggled, "Let's go back to the hotel and get cleaned up."

We got cleaned up, dirty, then cleaned up again and went to meet Mike and Tre for dinner. Billie enthusiastically told them of my plans for school and they were equally excited.

They also noticed how 'sexed up' we seemed, according to Tre. I couldn't help but laugh and have fun with the boys; I had no idea how I had gone so long without being around them.