‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

What the *** Did I Get Myself Into

[Grace]

I couldn't believe that such a great night had been ruined so quickly. Billie and I were staring each other down, waiting for the other to make a move.

"I'm sleeping in my own bed tonight," he told me, throwing his pillow back onto the bed.

"Fine. I won't then," I said simply, leaving the room and heading down stairs.

Grabbing the carton of cigarettes and a lighter off the kitchen counter, I slipped out the back door for some air. I went and sat under a tree, lighting up a cigarette and sitting back, glancing at the house.

The last thing I wanted to do was be around anyone right now.

I watched as the kitchen lights flashed on and Billie appeared, obviously frustrated as he looked around. If it was true and he was just high when it happened, I needed to hear it from someone else. How would Billie know what he did when he wasn't sober.

I needed to talk to Tre.

Not wanting to go into the house again, I set the carton of cigarettes on the patio table then went to the side of the house and managed to hop the huge fence.

"So that's how Jeff did it.." I mumbled, taking off down the street and walking all the way to the nearest BART station to grab a bus to get to Tre's. Luckily I had a few dollars stuffed in my pocket to get me there.

It was well past midnight when I rang the buzzer, but Tre was up.

"Gracie? What are you doing here?" he asked, clearly surprised.

"Can I ask you something?" Tre let me in with a nod.

"Why does Billie have a tattoo of the name Zeke on him now?"

"Ohh. You saw that?" he asked.

"Well duh, it's pretty noticeable."

"Did you freak out?"

"Yeah-" I went to continue, but the phone rang.

Tre quickly answered, motioning for me to sit on the couch.

"Yello?" he answered, "Oh, uh. Yeah."

I watched him and I automatically knew it was Billie on the other end of the line.

"No it's ok. You don't have to. I'll make sure she gets home. Yeah. Bye." Tre hung up, shooting me a wide-eyed look.

"What?" I asked, now curious.

"You walked here from Billie's?"

"Yeah.. I took the bus too," I answered.

"I've done some stupid shit, but Jesus!"

"Yeah, yeah. Just tell me about Billie," I muttered as Tre sat beside me.

"Well we met this girl who called herself Zeke in Boston and she knew where all the parties were at. She liked us and decided to show us what Beantown was all about.."

Tre continued to tell me about how this girl went to Philadelphia too, and how she felt like she and Billie had hit it off. Apparently she did score some hard drugs, then took advantage of Billie.

"Well I'm glad Billie sort of told the truth.. But he didn't even explain who this chick was. I do feel stupid though."

"Dude, don't. I'd be suspicious and pissed if my girlfriend came home with some guys name permanently inked on her."

"You don't have a girlfriend," I laughed.

"I was being hypothetical, Gracie!" he defended himself, "Want me to take you home or to BJ's?"

"Ehh," I shrugged and Tre gave me a look.

"What?"

"Come on. I'm driving you back to Bill's."

I thanked Tre and got out of his car, walking into Billie's house around 2 a.m. The kitchen lights were on, but Billie wasn't in there so I looked outside. Sure enough there he was, laying out in the grass.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked with a smile as I went to sit with him.

"Being lame and thinking," he chuckled.

"Well you know where I was.. Tre had a lot to say."

"Yeah?"

"Mmhmm," I nodded, "That chick took advantage of you."

"I had a feeling she did. I don't really remember.. But yeah. If it bothers you, I can get it covered up or something."

"Why wouldn't you regardless of what I wanted?" I asked, watching him shrug.

"Gotta live with my mistakes."

"Not this one," I told him and he changed the subject.

"So, we're going to a party on Halloween. What are we going as?"

"Uh. I dunno? I wasn't aware we were going to a costume party."

"I thought maybe we could go as each other," Billie laughed, getting up and helping me off of the ground.

"That would be interesting," I grinned as we headed inside.

The next day after I got out of class, Billie and I went to my apartment to find something for him to wear to the party.

"I don't think any of my things will fit you.." I mumbled as I rummaged through my closet.

Billie may have been about as thick as I was, but he was broader in the shoulders and a bit wider.

"Are you calling me fat?" he gaped, going through my dresser.

"Definitely not, since these are your pants I'm wearing!" I laughed, "Would you wear a dress?"

I showed Billie a dress I found hanging at the far end of the closet. It looked a little big for me, and even though it was black with white polka dots, it definitely wasn't my style.

"Where the hell did you get this?" he asked, holding it up to himself and striking a pose.

"Beats me," I shrugged.

"How am I gonna go as you if you wouldn't be caught dead in this?" Billie questioned, putting his hand on his hip.

"Good point.. But you know.. We kind of dress alike anyways, jeans and band shirts."

"You wear dresses and stuff! I notice all the time," he said, making me flush.

"Thanks.. Oh, I got it! We have to go to my dad's though. It's in my closet there."

Billie drove us to my dad's, where I managed to find my cap and gown from my graduation.

"How ironic would it be if you went around in this and I dressed up as you?"

He shot me a skeptical look, touching the fabric of the gown hesitantly.

"It won't bite, I promise!"

"This is hilarious. I love it," he grinned, immediately trying it on.

On Halloween, we entered the warehouse where the party was being held with a confidence.

Billie was in my cap and gown, along with a dark brown wig we had got from a party store, while I was in a pair of his black jeans, a belt with a crazy buckle, and one of his striped shirts. His shoes were a little big, but I was in his hightop Chucks and I pulled my hair up under a beanie so it looked shorter.

"We're one hot pair," I said, trying to make my voice sound like Billie's, "Let's go find the guys."

"Ok. Whatever you say, Billie," he answered in a high-pitched tone to mock me.

We wandered through the party until we found Mike, who was dressed as what looked like a mobster, and Tre.. Well. He was wearing normal clothes.

"Who are you supposed to be?" I asked, now totally in Billie-mode.

"Frank Wright!" Tre answered, sending me an oddly plain smile.

"Where's Sarah?" Billie asked Mike, who couldn't help but let out a laugh.

"Over there," he pointed, "She's the flapper."

"I'll see ya in a bit, kay Beej?" Billie told me, batting his eyes, which I had plastered with makeup.

"Alright babe," I answered, smacking his ass as he walked away.

"You two are really into this," Mike chuckled and I nodded with a laugh.

Throughout the night, people had come up behind me thinking I was Billie and their reactions when seeing that I wasn't were priceless. I was having fun being in Billie's shoes; he had a people loving persona, which got me throwing back a few beers and having a blast.

Roaming the warehouse, I came across Billie, who was being a total girl and dancing with Sarah and some of our friends.

I shook my head, knowing that any other day he wouldn't even dream of wearing a cap and gown like he was now.

"Come here," I nodded him over, leaning into him closely like he does to me.

"You ready to get out of here?" I asked, trying my best imitation of his husky, 'I want you' voice.

"Why? Is someone getting all hot and bothered by my dancing?" he rebuttled, sending me a heated glance, "Is there something in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"It's a sock," I answered seriously and we both burst out laughing.

November first quickly came around and it was definitely a Sunday to spend lounging around Billie's house.

We were busy being lazy in the living room when Billie decided to actually start up a conversation, rather than the commentary on the show we were watching.

"Gray, do you know that you spend more time here than you do at your place?" he asked me.

"I guess.. Yeah, it makes sense. It's not like my apartment is spacious.. Plus with Kelsey and her dude she brings there.."

My room mate had been seeing some guy for two or three months and he keeps trying to move in, but I won't let him. Three people in our Foxboro apartment is not happening; it's hard enough with Kelsey.

"Well, I wanted to know if you'd maybe consider thinking about moving in with me.." Billie was cautious with his words and I understood why.
H
is first attempt to get me to move into that apartment with him so long ago didn't exactly work.

"Yeah, I will," I nodded.

"You'll think about it?" he asked to clarify.

"No."

"Wait, what?"

"I'll move in with you," I told him, watching the biggest look of relief wash over his face.

"You realize that I won't be able to walk to work or school anymore, right?" I asked, making sure he knew.

"Yeah, but I'll make it worth your while here," he winked, moving down to the side of the couch I was sitting on and he laid across the length of the sofa, his head resting in my lap.

We continued watching TV while I played with Billie's hair, noticing that he had fallen asleep.

"Finally!" I muttered, changing the channel to catch the rest of Jeopardy.