‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

With You

Over the next week, I moved out of Foxboro and into Billie's house.

He said that I could have any room in the house, so I was hesitant to ask if we could make his room our room, but he agreed enthusiastically.

Billie let me turn my favourite room into a study-office type area so I could do my homework in peace. When everything was finally unpacked and I was totally moved in, I made sure to thank Billie again.

"It's not a big deal! You practically live here anyways.. Most of your clothes were already in the closet," he laughed.

"Yeah well I was here for a month! Oh, and about that. While you were gone, I paid for the bills myself. I didn't want you paying for water and electricity I was using. I plan on helping out as best I can," I told him.

"Why? I left you my check book.. You don't have to-"

"I want to, so I'm going to," I cut him off, giving him a look so he knew I meant it.

"Well! I guess if you're that adamant, I have to let you," he gave in.

"I'm gonna head into San Fran to see my dad. You wanna come?" I asked, lacing up my Chucks.

"Can't. Practice soon. I'll drop you off at the BART though."

"Thanks," I smiled, pecking his cheek.

It was a chilly Friday in November, and I had already been to my morning business class, so Billie took me to the BART and I went as far as I could before I had to walk the rest of the way to my father's office.

"Hey Rachel! Is my dad still in?" I asked his receptionist, who greeted me warmly.

"When isn't he? Go on in," she told me.

I knocked twice then walked into the room, smiling at my dad when I saw him.

"There's my Grace!" his smile nearly erased all of his wrinkles and worry lines.

Once I had given him a hug, we sat down across from each other at his desk.

"So what have you been up to?" he asked curiously.

"A lot, actually! A few friends from work and I recorded a CD," I pulled a copy that I had brought for him out of my purse and set it on his desk.

"This is amazing! I'm so happy for you!"

"We played a show at Gilman not too long ago.. It went really well."

"That's great! And how's school?"

"It's going just fine. Since I took summer courses and overloaded with credits these last few years, I can graduate with my business degree in April."

"Oh Grace," my dad was beaming, "I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of you."

He was making me blush.

"How are you and BJ?" he asked casually, trying not to pry.

"We're great. I just finished moving in with him today!" I said with an excited tone in my voice.

"Elanore, do you really think that living in some run down apartment on the bad side of Oakland is good for you? I know Billie is a good kid, but he's in a band and everything that goes with it."

"Dad!"

"What? Can't I be concerned for my baby girl? You're all I have, you know."

"Yeah, but.. Billie's house is in the Hills," I told him.

"The Oakland Hills?"

"Yep. That band he's in has gotten pretty big."

"Wow.. I'm sorry! I had no idea.. I guess I made a fool of myself for underestimating the kid," he admitted.

"I think everyone did, which drove him to do his best and succeed."

"Not to mention the fact that he's had you though most of it."

"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged.

"You need to have more faith in yourself! Seriously, you're something special. Don't ever forget it."

"Thanks dad," I laughed, rolling my eyes slightly.

When we were done catching up, my dad walked me back to the nearest Bart stop, which I took back to where Billie was to pick me up.

We got to the house and a bunch of guys were chilling out in the living room.

"Uh.. Hi," I waved when I saw them, feeling that I somehow knew them all.

"You remember Bill, Aaron, and Mike, right?" Billie reintroduced us.

"Oh! Is it that time of the year again?" I asked with a laugh, "I sure missed Pinhead Gunpowder!"

They only met up to record and play a show or two when every member was free, which didn't happen very often. It was a rare treat to see these guys all together. The last time I saw them.. I think it was before I left Billie, which felt like decades ago.

I hung out with them all in the basement for a while, then went upstairs to do some homework.

A few hours went by before Billie came up to tell me that they had left.

"Whatcha doing?" he asked, hovering over me as I worked at the desk.

"A paper," I replied.

"About?"

"Why I want to punch my boyfriend in the face."

"Seriously?" Billie now seemed very interested.

"No. It's about small businesses and their effect on the local and national economy."

"Well.... I'll be down stairs if you need me!"

"Okay," I laughed, shaking my head as he left, "That got rid of him quickly."

When I finished putting the final touches on my paper, I straightened everything up then went to find Billie, who was busy rummaging around for dinner.

"I can make you something. All you had to do was tell me you were hungry!" I spoke, obviously startling him.

"I didn't want to interrupt you," he answered sheepishly.

While I made tacos, Billie sat at the counter and looked around.

"The house was spotless when I came back. You cleaned, didn't you?"

"Well yeah. What was I supposed to do?" I asked. "Leave it?"

When Billie shrugged, I groaned.

"Ew no! I can't do that!"

"Cause you're a neat freak!" Billie teased, "Your apartment was immaculate. Is that gonna carry over to here?"

"Why?" I asked.

"Cause I'm a slob! It will annoy the hell out of you," he laughed.

"Kelsey was as messy as it gets. I'll be able to handle you, dear."

"You won't be saying that in a few months.. I have a feeling."

"Don't go making messes on purpose!"

"I wouldn't dream of it," he laughed maniacally.

As I continued to cook, I got a call from Kelsey inviting me to go out clubbing. I looked to Billie, holding the phone to my shoulder.

"Kels wants me to go out with her. Is that cool?

"Yeah, go ahead!"

I told her to pick me up at eight, which was an hour and a half away. Billie and I ate, then I ran upstairs to get ready.

I did my makeup and fixed my hair, getting dressed in a pair of tattered jeans and a dark purple blouse with my leather bomber jacket. Instead of Chuck Taylors, I decided on a pair of four inch high heels, seeing as I was going out with the girls.

Grabbing my clutch, I put my ID and some cash in it then went downstairs.

"Woah, woah, woah! Hold on a second," Billie called out, leaning in the entrance to the living room.

"What?" I asked innocently, turning to face him.

"Where do you think you're going looking like that?" he smirked, eying me up and down.

"I'm going out with friends," I smiled as I walked over to him, my heels clicking with every step.

He noticed that I was taller than him now and I could just see his mind reeling.

"You look smoking, and I want to keep you here all to myself," he whispered seductively, his warm breath hitting my neck and driving me wild.

A car's horn honked outside, signaling my ride.

"I gotta go," I muttered, giving him a rough kiss before heading out the front door.

We met up with a bunch of Kelsey's girlfriends at a club, ordered our first round of drinks and it went from there.

By the sixth round, Kelsey was telling me how much she missed me as a roomie. Sure, I missed her, but I knew I liked living with Billie much more.

I don't know exactly how many shots we did, but I'm positive it was in the double digits before we hit the dance floor. Making our night into a game, these girls decided that whoever gets the most drinks bought for them wins.

Always up for a challenge, I was on the prowl. With major beer goggles going on, I had no clue who was buying me drinks, but I knew I was getting them. By the end of our night, I finished in second to some chick I had just met, but was really close with Kelsey.

"How do you hold your liquor so well?" one asked in the cab as we were all going to one of the girls' houses to make a pit stop.

"I've toured with bands," I laughed in response.

The five of us got out and the girl offered us whatever drugs she had. Being as drunk as I was, I took the first thing I saw.

"Ooohh! Grace is feeling adventurous!" one of them laughed as I popped the pill.

"What?" I asked, looking at her blankly.

"Be prepared for an awesome trip," Kelsey told me as we all piled back into the cab.

They dropped me off at the house and I stumbled inside, unable to control my giggles.

"Man, I want a sandwich," I laughed, throwing my purse wherever and somehow stumbling into the kitchen.

"Hey there buddy! Wanna give me some cold cuts?" I asked the fridge.

"No? Fine! I want a pb and j anyways!" I yelled, then I heard someone coming down the stairs.

"Oh no! Sshh I didn't say anything," I glared at the refrigerator.

[Billie Joe]

I stood there in the kitchen in my boxers at four am, staring at Grace. Her hair was everywhere, she could barely stand, and she was glancing nervously at the fridge.

"Grace, what are you doing?" I asked and she burst out into giggles.

"Come on, let's get you upstairs..." I helped her take off her shoes, leading her up to our rom.

I went into the bathroom for literally two minutes and when I came back, the window was open and Grace was gone.

"What the fuck?" I sighed, looking out to see her on the roof.

"Get back here!" I yelled to her, watching her sit down and stare at her hands, fascinated.

Stepping out onto the roof, I carefully walked over to her.

"You need to come with me."

She stared up at me with wide eyes and I knew she was seriously fucked up. If she wasn't on the roof, I would have just left her there.

"Come on," I grabbed her around the waist and picked her up.

"No! Let me go, you asshole!" she began to thrash, screaming until she couldn't anymore.

I held tight, pushing her into the house through the window and letting go of her. Shooting me a glare, Grace went and locked herself in the bathroom and I knew I was in for a long night.