‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

It Together Baby,

As the holiday season approached, everyone was in a scramble to figure out what was going on for Thanksgiving.

It was a huge deal for Ollie, since every year all of her children got together and sat down to act somewhat civil to each other. I had told Billie to offer to have it at the house, but Ollie would have none of it. I figured it would ease the tension between Billie and the rest of his family if we did this on his turf. It didn't matter though- Ollie shot us down.

Billie was always nervous when he was around his siblings. They never had to live in the house Billie spent his teenage years in. His siblings never had to deal with Brad like Billie had to.. They just didn't get him at all; he was the odd one out.

"It will be okay. You need to relax," I told him as we got ready to head to Ollie's house.

The only good thing that came to mind about going was that Brad wouldn't be there. He had disappeared a while ago.

"It won't be ok. It's gonna be a nightmare," Billie muttered.

I had gotten him to wear a nice button down shirt and a dark gray blazer. Billie, along with his black jeans, decided to spiff up his out fit with a blue tie. He knew as well as I did that he didn't look remotely like his siblings, so why even bother trying to?

I didn't want to argue with him, so I got into my black dress that he loved, hoping it would liven him up, which it definitely did.

"You ready?" I asked after doing some light makeup and brushing out my hair.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he laughed, and we left for Ollie's.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by rowdy children and awkward hello's from their parents. Ollie was by far excited to see us, and asked where my dad was.

"Oh. He's on business in Florida, so he's with my mom's family," I answered, earning looks from all six of the Armstrong children.

When Ollie returned to the kitchen, Billie confronted me.

"That was a lie."

"I know! He didn't want to be in all of this drama," I laughed quietly.

We sat in the family room, making small talk. Hollie, Marci and Anna greeted Billie warmly, out of the spirit of the holiday, but Alan and Dave barely acknowledged him. Earlier, I had told Billie not to get wasted and cause a scene, but I had a feeling he would regardless.

"So Grace, how's school? You're almost done aren't you?" Alan asked casually.

"It's going well. I get to graduate this April!" I smiled proudly.

"You're majoring in business from what I hear.."

"That's right," I nodded.

"That's very wise of you.. With a business degree from UC Berkeley you can do anything you want," Alan told me, his eyes darting to Billie, then back to me.

"Thanks.."

"Are you saying that what I did wasn't wise?" Billie asked, suddenly offended.

"If you want to take it that way, yeah. I am," his brother answered.

"I did what I wanted to do, Alan, and look where it got me. I'm doing what I love while you're stuck working some shitty nine to five desk job!"

Thankfully all of the kids were in the backyard. They didn't need to be hearing this.

"Billie Joe, calm down.. Please," I tried, but he merely glared at me.

"I'm going outside," he muttered, getting up and heading out the front door.

"Way to be good siblings and stick up for Billie," I said to Dave and Marci. Hollie and Anna were helping Ollie.

I went to find Billie, who was standing out on the driveway smoking a cigarette.

"Billie.."

"No, don't. He has no fucking right to judge me. He doesn't know what I've been through, so he can't say anything.."

"I know. But I was having a conversation with Alan, then you blew up. Please try and control it for me?" I asked, a pleading look on my face.

"Alright. I'll try my best, but-"

"No. No buts. Just do it," I interrupted and he nodded.

Billie finished his cigarette and took a deep breath as we walked back into the house.

"You go help your mother. I'm going out back to play with your nieces and nephews," I told Billie, who nodded and went into the kitchen.

[Billie Joe]

When I was sure Grace was outside, I grabbed a beer and returned to the living room.

Being alone in a room with my brothers and sister automatically increased my anxiety.. I could probably have a panic attack any second. Then I caught a glimpse of Grace through the back door, and I felt a little more at ease.

"She's really good for you," Marci mentioned, breaking our silence.

I guess they all thought that the only good thing I've ever done is date Grace.

"I know.. Thanks," I nodded politely.

"Maybe one of these days her sense of responsibility and maturity will rub off on you," Dave added and I glared.

"She's done her fair share of crazy, irresponsible shit, and I'm not one to judge.

"That's right you aren't. How many groupies have you substituted for that wonderful girl while you were away being in your band?" Alan asked; it seemed that my brothers wouldn't quit.

"You know.. Grace actually told me to sleep with whoever I wanted when I was on my last tour. But you know what? I didn't take her up on it," I told them.

"Well good for you, little bro. She's got to have a lot of faith in you to do that," Marci smiled, "Way to be committed."

I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic or not.

"Is Grace playing house with you in that big place up in the Hills?" Dave asked.

"She moved in.. Yeah," I answered.

"Poor girl. She's so bright.. But she's attached to you for some strange reason," Alan chuckled, and I saw Grace standing behind him, the most offended look on her face.

"Excuse me?" she asked, walking around the couch to look Alan straight on. "Don't ever talk about me behind my back. If you have something to say, say it to my face!"

By now, Anna and Hollie had come out to watch this; my mom still in the kitchen, stuck in her own world trying to convince herself that we were a happy family.

"Fine! Don't get me wrong, you're a great girl. Smart, funny, attractive. But you're only bringing yourself down by being with Billie! He's a junkie in a band," Alan said to her, and I did everything I could to keep from beating the shit out of him.

"How can you say that? Billie may use drugs, but he's the face of a new era of music in the Bay. They've got an audience and they're doing what they love.. That's more than I can say about you, Alan. You need to accept Billie for who he is, no matter what, all of you! He's your baby brother.." Grace was on a rampage, but then I noticed her tone change drastically.

"I can't really explain what it feels like to lose your younger brother. Nothing really compares, because it's different from losing a parent. He could be gone like that," she snapped, "And how would you feel knowing that the last time you saw him, you all ganged up on him?"

It felt weird to have Grace stand up to them all for me.. But I think it may have worked.

"I'm sorry, Billie," Dave apologized as Grace sat beside me, and I simply nodded.

"Dinnertime," my mom announced and we all headed into the dining room to sit around the table.

The children were all at the kids table, and I expected Alan to tell me to go sit with them like he had every other Thanksgiving.

"Billie, come sit next to me! I want to hear all about what you've been up to," Anna told me with a smile, so I grabbed Grace's hand and had her sit to my left.

Dinner was beyond weird. My family asked me about my life and what I was doing. It was a serious change from the awkward silences and hateful tension like every other year.

Whenever I glanced over to Grace, I noticed a smile on her face as she swapped stories and traded tips with Hollie and Marci. I overheard my sisters thanking her for being an impact on me and being able to put up with me.

"He puts up with me too," she shrugged, "So we work really well together."

I couldn't help but smile as I caught her eye. Oh yeah; this was gonna be a good night.

After dinner, Dave, Alan and I went out to the back yard while the ladies played cards with the kids. I felt a little better about being by myself with them, so I wasn't on edge.

"I'm proud of you, Billie," Alan told me, catching me off guard.

"We always give you a hard time.. But it's only because you're our little bro. We love you no matter what you do," Dave said.

"Guys... As touchy-feely as this moment could be, I'm really freaked out," I laughed, making them chuckle too.

As I lit a cigarette, I could tell they had something to say, but were holding back.

"What?" I asked; I wanted to know.

"Grace is a firecracker.. The way she defended you earlier," Dave mused.

"I know she is.. And?"

"Were you planning on making her a permanent fixture in your life?" Alan asked and I stared at him.

"Uh.. She lives with me and stuff."

"No. Alan, why do you make things so complicated?! Are you gonna ask her to marry you?" Dave was obviously more blunt.

"I-uh.. I've been thinking about it, you know?" I started to feel awkward, so I took a long drag of my cigarette.

"Well, if and when you decide to, let us or mom know so you can get grandma's ring from mom," Alan told me.

"Wait, are you serious?" I gaped, totally confused.

"You don't remember what Dad said?" Dave stared at me.

"He was too young! I don't think Dad told him," Alan answered, "You get grandma's engagement ring that we tried to get for our wives, but mom's got it on lock down until you ask."

"Sweet!" I laughed; I had no idea that it was for me, "Thanks for letting me know."

"No problem, bro," they laughed, bringing up something else to talk about.