‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

I put so many

[Billie Joe]

When I was done talking to my brothers I went inside and had a quick talk with my mom. She apologized for not telling me sooner and said that I could have the ring whenever I wanted.

Of course it made me mad knowing that I had to go through losing Grace after I bought one myself.. If I had known, I wouldn't have had to be all secretive around the guys like I was.

We said goodbye to everyone after the girls finished their game of Canasta then went on our way home.

"So was it as bad as you thought it was gonna be?" Grace asked as we got into some comfy clothes.

I was literally out of my shirt and tie as soon as I walked in the front door.

"It was probably the best family gathering I've ever been to," I admitted, "Thanks for putting them in their places."

"You're welcome. I couldn't sit back and let them degrade you though.. I couldn't believe them."

"Yeah well, they're my family.. It's what they've always done," I shrugged and we both went down stairs to do some late night work in the basement.

[Grace]

The day after Thanksgiving, Sarah came to see me at work.

She seemed a little stirred, so I asked her what was up.

"Billie was at Rod's earlier while I was on my shift.. He was asking me all these weird questions that had to do with Mike.."

"So? He's strange like that," I laughed.

"Yeah, but... Lately Mike and I have been in a rut. It's not looking too god for us."

"Oh Sare.. Maybe Billie was trying to figure out if you still want to be with Mike. I mean, you know how soft-spoken Mike can be and how nosey Billie is."

"You're saying that Mike sent him?"

"Maybe," I shrugged.

We continued to talk and I got the feeling that Mike was just being Mike, but I told Sarah that I would do some digging.

When I got off my shift, I went home and found Billie hard at work writing lyrics and finding chord progressions in the basement. Knowing that he had most likely been at it since he got up, I made him take a break.

He grabbed something to eat then joined me in the 'formal' dining room where I sat, thumbing through the music magazine our interview was in. The copy I had was from Amoeba, and people there were freaking out that I was in it.

The magazine called us 'a force to be reckoned with' and that we were well on our way to becoming the powerhouse couple of the Bay's music scene. It was all very flattering, actually.

"Will you play one more gig with your band?" Billie asked as I looked at the pictures of us that were featured; the one I loved was included.

"What? Why?" I looked up from the glossy paper to Billie.

"I loved seeing you on stage. Play at Blake's.. Or better yet, play at Amoeba!' His eyes were bright, loving his own idea.

"Why are you all of a sudden bringing this up?" I couldn't help but be curious.

"I felt like it? I'm spontaneous like that," he grinned.

"Okay... I'll talk to Stell and Ross and get their imput."

"Yes!" he cheered, "I can't wait for them to say yes.. You guys could write some more songs.. Record an EP.."

"Woah! Billie, this band isn't going to be my life. I don't want to get a label or go on tour or any of that. I want that for you, not me," I told him, trying not to get his hopes up because of this article.

"But..." he tried, and I shook my head.

"You know how we'll take over this city?"

"How?" he asked, setting his chin on his hands, his elbows resting on the table.

"A record company. When I graduate, we can talk about starting one."

"That would be fucking awesome," Billie smiled, his enthusiasm clearly evident.

"So what were you so busy writing when I came home?" I asked, flipping through the rest of the magazine.

"We have three weeks in a studio coming up so we can put out our next CD. I'm just getting ready," he told me.

"Well if you need a second opinion or anything, let me know," I smiled, "Oh, and I'll get a frame or something.. I want to hang up our article in the basement."

"Alright. That sounds cool," Billie nodded.

We sat in silence for a minute or two, looking at each other.

"You look really good today," he mused.

I laughed; I was in a pair of dark jeans and a tailored black oxford shirt, my hair was down and I felt totally average today.

"Thanks, Beej," I blushed, absent-mindedly fiddling with the buttons of my shirt.

"Hey I have an idea," Billie said suddenly, his eyes focused on my hands.

"And what would that ingenius idea be?" I asked, having a feeling I knew what he had on his mind.

"You'll just have to wait and see," he smiled cheekily, lifting me out of my seat and carrying me all the way up to our room before tossing me onto the bed.

"No interruptions this time," he told me, "It's been way too long since we last did this."

"And what exactly are we doing?" I asked playfully, trying to aggrivate my obviously horny boyfriend.

"Grace," he said, giving me an annoyed look, "I will rip you out of those pants. Don't make me!"

"Oh BJ, you're so cute when you're bothered," I giggled as I unbuttoned my shirt.

"You better watch what you say. You're giving me ideas," he smirked before launching himself at me.

We spent most of our Saturday in the basement where I gave Billie an unbiased opinion of the songs he wanted to put on the new album. Only having three weeks to record and mix, Billie wanted to go in with everything perfected.

"You know this is amazing, right?" I asked, looking over the layout they had made for the CD inserts.

"I'm really excited for what we're gonna record," Billie nodded.

After we finished up with going over everything, I played afew songs that I had been working on while Billie simply watched me, a crooked smile on his lips.

"Hey, want to go out to dinner tonight?" he asked as I played with the tuning of my guitar.

"Does that mean going out and getting shitfaced after?

"Not unless you want to," Billie laughed at my unenthusiastic tone, "But I think we should just have a good time together."

"Are you sure you're 21 and not 40? Your idea of a good time is seeing who can get the most wasted without throwing up."

"Shit, I'll still be this way when I'm 40!" he told me with a boyish grin.

"Of course you will.. And I'd love to go out on a date night. I've missed those," I smiled.

"Good. Well, go get glammed up. Maybe put on those heels you wore when you went clubbing," he winked, getting up as I put my guitar down.

Billie chased me up the stairs to our bedroom then flopped onto the bed and watched me pick out something to wear. I noticed Billie glance at the clock, then at me. It was only five.

"I gotta go out real quick. Take your time and look fabulous," he saing, pulling on his Chucks and kissing my cheek before he left.

"What the hell?" I said to myself, shaking my head and picking out an above the knee, dark grey dress. The cut was simple and it was surprisingly cute. I wasn't sure where the dress even came from, but it was in our closet so I assumed I brought it with me during the move.

I showered, did my hair so it was nice and straight, then got into the dress and did my makeup. Billie was back by the time I was putting on my bomber jacket and a pair of slightly high heels, so I would still be a little shorter than him.

"You look better than words can describe," he complimented, then shooed me away so he could get dressed.

In a pair of black jeans, a black button down, a grey suit jacket and a bow tie, Billie laced his Chucks up again and we were on the road.

We went to a fairly upscale steak house, which totally surprised me. Billie was trying to be a vegetarian, but kept slipping up every once in a while.

"So where did you go earlier?" I asked casually as we ate and Billie shrugged.

"I had to do something for my mom at her house that I promised her.."

"Oh, well that's sweet of you," I smiled, taking a sip of my wine.

When we finished dinner I noticed that we were near the Berkeley Marina. We walked to the marina and mused at the boats, but I started to notice Billie getting antsy.

"What's got you so restless?"

"I just have someplace to take you," he told me, so we returned to the car.

"Billie Joe, what are we doing here? It's midnight, I'm cold, and this is tresspassing!" I hissed as he led me onto our old elementary school's playground.

I had already taken off my heels- they were left in the car, so my toes were curled in the playground sand.

"Yeah, well I couldn't exactly bring you here during the day," he laughed.

In the moonlight, Billie looked rather handsome in his dress clothes. It was nice when he made an effort.. Which he usually only did for extremely special occasions.

"Why are we here at all?" I asked, looking around the familiar place.

"You know where we are right?"

"Yeah.. Our elementary school. So?" I shrugged, watching him step closer to me.

"This is where we met. Remember?"

"How could I forget?" crossed my arms over my chest, "Why are you asking me this blast from the past stuff?"

"Relax, I just have one more question," he smiled nervously, making me feel a little uneasy myself.

"Will you be with me forever, Gray?" Billie asked and I stared, wide-eyed as he pulled a beautiful, antique-looking ring from his jacket pocket.

"I.. I don't know what to say," I stammered, feeling a little light headed.

"Say you'll marry me," he said as he set his hands on my waist to keep me steady.