‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

Before We Got Together

The door opened almost immediately after I had rang the bell and I saw Billie standing there in a pair of black jeans and a white Misfits shirt.

"Grace, thanks for giving me a chance.. Thanks for coming," he smiled genuinely, "Come on in."

"Giving you a chance to what, exactly?" I asked.

"To let me prove that I didn't sleep around! I thought Tre filled you in.."

"Not about that part."

"Oh, well.. There's a few people I'd like you to meet."

I stepped into the house and before I had the opportunity to really get a good look at everything, Billie had led me to the living room where Tre and three women sat, talking quietly.

"Oh, nuh-uh," I shook my head, ripping my hand out of Billie's.

"Gracie, relax," Tre told me, "It's all ok."

I nodded, sitting in one of the chair next to the couch where all three girls sat.

"Grace, this is Stacy, Amanda and Morgan. They each went to one of our shows across the country," the man standing beside me introduced.

"I went in Miami," Stacy said.

"Dallas," Amanda told me, and Morgan followed up.

"Charleston."

"They all have two things in common," Billie continued.

"I saw them all with Bill at their respective shows," Tre told me.

"And they all work for jewelery companies," Billie finished.

"Where exactly are you going with this, Billie Joe?" I asked, gazing at the three girls who were all different in age, size and looks.

"Well, on tour I asked just about everyone I met what their job was and if I found out the were a jeweler.. I asked them to show me their store. I only came across a handful, but that's who Tre saw me with. I was learning about rings and I found the one I had been looking for, too. The perfect one was at Amanda's store. After I bought it, I had to keep it a secret and I thought Tre had found out.. So I kept calling you to make sure he didn't spill."

"Why would you care if Tre told me you bought jewelery?" I asked, glancing down at my right hand, where the promise ring Billie gave me once resided; long since hidden away in my shoebox with other reminders of him.

"No, Grace. What I bought was special. Something no one could know about until we got back."

"Billie Joe, what did you buy?" I asked as I looked up at him.

"An engagement ring."

I took one look at his face and I knew he wasn't lying.

"I-uh, need to use the restroom," I uttered quietly. I noticed Billie move to get up, but Tre beat him.

"I'll show her, man."

I got up and left the room with Tre and he showed me to the bathroom.

"You know your way back?" he asked and I shook my head, pulling him into the somewhat decorated bathroom, closing the door and turning the light on.

"This is too much for me to handle, Tre."

"You have to hear him out.. He worked really hard to find these girls so I could help make it clear that he wasn't doing what we thought he was."

"What if I don't want to believe him even though I know he's telling the truth?"

"What do you mean?" Tre asked, leaning against the granite counter.

"I don't know.. It just seems too easy to be all like 'yeah, I forgive you. Sorry I didn't listen in the first place, we're cool now'."

"You have to decide whether or not the benefits outweigh the negatives.. If having Billie back in your life is worth it or not."

I nodded, emitting a sigh.

"I need to go home and think things over."

"Do you want to tell them bye?"

"Not really.."

Tre understood and we left the bathroom, walking to the front door.

"Thanks Tre.. I'm really glad I can count on you," I smiled, giving him a hug and walking out the door.

[Billie Joe]

Tre came back into the living room without Grace, and I asked him where she was.

"She, um, had to go. I just walked her to the door..."

I jumped up, quickly excusing myself and running to the front hall and out the front door just in time to see Grace's figure at the end of the driveway. I ran towards the slow moving girl, catching up with her before she could get to her car.

"Grace," I panted, catching my breath as she came to a halt, looking me up and down.

"Beej, I've head what you had to say. I just want to go home and soak it all in.. Think stuff over."

I nodded, shoving my hands into my pockets.

"I know how impatient you can get, but I need some time."

"You've already taken so much time! It's killing me," I burst, and Grace flinched.

"I know," she sighed, "I know, Billie Joe. I've wasted so much of your life.. I want you to be happy."

"I'll only be happy for now if you let me do this one thing.."

"What would that be?" she asked.

I leaned in, gently touching my lips to hers, setting my hands on the sides of her neck and Grace put her hands over mine. When she kissed me back, I knew she still loved me. All of my hopes had been worth it.

[Grace]

I pulled back from Billie's lips, squeezing his hands and glancing into his eyes.

"Billie Joe," I breathed, and he rested his forehead against mine.

"Grace," he smiled, and I was taken by his bright green eyes. They sparkled; a gleam of utter happiness in them that I had missed so much.

"I have to go," I mumbled quietly, letting go of his hands and backing out of his reach.

"I'm sorry, Billie," I said, getting into my car and driving off, watching Billie stand there in my rear view window until I turned the corner.

[Billie Joe]

I stood there glued to my spot, watching as Grace's Trans AM turned off of my street. Then I sat on the curb, resting my head between my knees and taking deep breaths, doing all I could to prevent a panic attack.

I sat there for a few minutes, then got up and rubbed my face, erasing all traces of my heartache. I walked back inside and apologized to Tre and the girls, who were all talking amongst themselves.

"It's fine, Billie. You do what you need to do," Morgan smiled.

"Tre said that she doesn't doubt that we sold you jewelery," Stacy told me, "I think she's just doubting herself, you know?"

I shook my head, not quite understanding. Girls are way too complicated.

"Grace is kicking herself because she waited so long to hear your side of the story," Amanda clarified.

"So she's embarrassed?" I asked, and the four nodded.

Once Morgan, Stephanie and Amanda left, it was just me and Tre.

"How did it go out there?" he asked as I flopped onto the couch.

"Not how I planned whatsoever," I answered, rubbing my hands over my face again.

"Nothing ever goes the way we plan, Billie," Tre told me.

"I know," I sighed, "No. I don't know, actually. I can't read her anymore.. Things are different now. Maybe I need to admit that it's finally done."

"If you're going to give up, go ahead. Let go of the one person who you love the most. Good thinking, dumb ass," Tre snapped, getting up and walking out of my house.

I groaned, hoisting myself up off of the couch and upstairs to my bedroom. After collapsing on my bed, I looked up at my night stand, spotting the photo of Grace and myself at Gilman after a show. Shaking my head, I settled into my pillow and fell asleep.