‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

Don't Mess With the Mess Around

[Grace]

The first of May was a nice night for my graduation. I was in the top five percent of my class, so along with the blue cap and gown, I received a gold wrap to wear over my shoulders. My father, along with Ollie, Mike, Tre, Kelsey, Stella and Billie Joe were there to watch me get my diploma. Our Dean and the valedictorian spoke as well as the student body president.

When it was finally time to walk, I felt a little nervous. This wasn't graduation from Pinole Valley High. We were in our enormous football stadium on a huge stage, on display for everyone. I had found my little fan base as soon as we had all filed into our rows. It was hard to miss them, actually. They were all waving and cheering before the ceremony began.

I lined up with my row to walk on stage and it was almost my turn. Suddenly a wave of anxiety hit me so I looked back at Billie. He caught my eye, waving and giving me a thumbs up. I turned back around and the Dean smiled at me.

"Elanore Grace Steffens." The reader called my name and as I was handed my diploma and shook the Dean's hand, I heard, 'Yeah! Go Grace!' from the stands, making me turn bright red.

I returned to my seat after posing for a picture and waited for the ceremony to end. This thing seemed to drag on forever, but as soon as it was over we tossed our caps and cheered. I retrieved my cap and the graduates were ushered out to meet their families.

Everyone was there when I finally found them and they all congratulated me. I could tell that my dad was beyond proud; he was practically beaming as he hugged me.

As Ollie took pictures Billie quietly stood to my right with a smile on his face. My friends all gave me their best and we took a bunch of pictures and they slowly dispersed. Ollie gave me and Billie hugs, then headed home.

"She'll have those pictures developed in a flash." My dad laughed as he held my cap and gown.

"My mom is insane." Billie shook his head.

"She's just excited. We all are."

My dad had to get going, so he told us goodbye and that he'd see us at the rehearsal dinner.

"Bye dad!" I waved as he left, then I turned to Billie Joe.

"You were oddly quiet…" I put my diploma in my bag.

"I just wanted to take it all in, ya know?" He was playing with the fabric of my dress sheepishly. We were required to dress formally, so I had done just that with a simple, black cocktail dress.

"I do, actually. So do you want to go home or go out?"

"How about a beer at the Ruby Room to celebrate?" Billie suggested, making me give him a curious glance.

"The biker bar?"

"Where else?" He laughed and I shrugged, going along with it.

Two days before the big day, a few of the girls and I went to the spa as Billie had arranged, while he went to the A's game. Sarah, Kelsey, Stella, Billie's sisters and I were getting the works. Manicures, pedicures, facials and massages were pampering us while we gossiped and sipped champagne.

"So are you ready to commit the rest of your life to dealing with my brother? Marci decided to ask as we soaked our feet, awaiting a pedicure.

"Yeah, I mean… I've been dealing with him for most of my life anyways. I kinda like the guy." I shrugged with a laugh.

"I'm pretty sure you're the only girl that's even capable of spending a lifetime with him." Sarah added and Hollie nodded.

"You're one brave, brave woman."

We chatted away while our backs were being massaged too.

"You know.. If he ever gets out of line don't hesitate to beat the crap out of him. Sometimes he needs to be reminded of who he is." Anna had been giving me wonderful words of advice all afternoon. This made me giggle though. Billie Joe always knew who he was and where he came from. He would always be that boy from the East Bay no matter what.

"So if you girls ever see him with bruises or a black eye…"

"He probably fell down the stairs." Stella finished my sentence for me.

"Exactly. My brother is so clumsy!" Marci giggled.

[Billie Joe]

"Dude. You're the last person on Earth I would expect to be getting married." My friend Jason White told me as we sat in the stands at the Oakland A's home game against the Tigers and drank beers.

"Really? I'm surprised he's not already married." Mike leaned up and looked over as he responded to Jason, who was a few seats down in the row.

Seven of my friends and I were enjoying the day game and catching up.

"Do you think Grace is nervous?" Aaron of Pinhead Gunpowder asked me.

"Definitely. And if we did things my way, we would have eloped in high school."

"Yeah, but then there was that whole thing where you weren't together for a time." Of course Tre brought this up.

"Let's not talk about that, thanks." I took a swig of beer as I mumbled to the man sitting beside me.

"But I'm nervous too, you know? So Mike, when are you getting back with Sarah? Gray has been doing everything she can to not interfere, as much as she wants to…" I was glad to have changed the subject.

"Hell if I know. Not everyone finds their soul mate when they're in elementary school." Mike sighed. I knew he was pretty attached to Sarah though.

"Oh get over yourself and quit being a dick to the girl. She's done nothing but love you." Tre finally said something that made sense and I had to agree with him.

"Whatever guys. Let's not focus on my problems now. My best friend is getting fucking married!"

[Grace]

May 10th finally arrived and it couldn't have come any sooner. Last night was the rehearsal dinner, which went really well to my surprise. Today was the big day though and with a few hours before the actual ceremony, I was becoming increasingly anxious.

The park had provided us with places to get ready and the girls had been separated from the guys. I hadn't seen Billie since the dinner last night and I wondered if he was feeling the same way I was.

Sarah was my maid of honor, Kelsey and Stella were my bridesmaids and Ollie was helping us all get ready. Billie's mother was buzzing around back and forth between myself and her son, making sure everything was going smoothly.

Ollie had returned from the other room with a smile on her face.

"Billie Joe told me to tell you that you're spending a week honeymooning at the Claremont in Berkeley."

"Holy crap!" Stella gaped accidentally, "Sorry. That place is seriously ritzy."

"I know. I thought we had decided to spend the time at home…" I shrugged.

"I guess not!" Kelsey laughed.

It drew closer to five, when the ceremony was to start, and I was panicking. I was in my dress and my hair and makeup were done, my veil was on and Ollie was making sure everything was perfect.

At 4:45 my dad came in with a smile on his face.

"You look just like Gloria." This made me smile too.

"BJ is going stir crazy over there. I think he almost had a panic attack or two."

"Did he?"

My father shook his head no.

I double checked my reflection, making sure that everything was perfect. My hair was done in light waves and my dress… My dress was a trumpet style gown with cap sleeves and it was adorned in beautiful lace that wasn't too overbearing. It was light and summery actually, and it was laying just right.

I had a pair of my Chuck Taylors ready for me to change into for the reception and I knew Billie had a pair ready for him as well.

After what seemed like forever, my father looked at his watch and announced that it was time. My head shot up in disbelief and Ollie left to take her seat, then everything began.

Stella and Jason White led the way down the grass aisle, followed by Kelsey and Tre, then Sarah and Mike, who was Billie's best man. My dad then held his arm out for me and I took it.

"Are you ready?"

"I think I've been ready for a long time." I nodded and we started walking along the grass.

At first I was looking around at the people in attendance, then I saw the view of the Pacific Ocean that was absolutely stunning. Halfway down the aisle my eyes met with Billie's and I had to fight the urge to run the rest of the way.

He looked extraordinarily handsome, just as I had expected, and he had a bright smile with a look of eagerness on his face.

When we finally approached the alter, my dad kissed my cheek and let go of my arm so I could take Billie's hand. We stood in front of this priest, one of Ollie's friends, and he was smiling as well.

We weren't going to say our own vows or anything like that. When we went through the rehearsal yesterday it had taken probably fifteen minutes, but we thought even that was too long.

We simply repeated after the man that stood before us with a notepad in his hands, stating that we would be there no matter what and that we were each other's love and best friend.

Then we exchanged rings. Mike handed Billie the bands, which were simple and silver. I didn't want anything on mine, so no massive diamonds or anything.

When the priest asked, I said 'I do' and when he asked Billie…

"I do! Let's wrap this up!" He was obviously ready to get this over with just like I was.

No less than five minutes after the ceremony had started, the priest officiated our marriage and pronounced us Mr. and Mrs. Billie Joe Armstrong.

"Give her a kiss already." The priest made everyone laugh and Billie let out the breath he had been holding for the last thirty seconds.

"Finally!" Billie smiled, giving me the kiss he had been waiting all this time for. He firmly grasped my hand and we walked back across the grass, past our friends and family as they blew bubbles.

"Today is going to be the first day of the rest of our lives." I stopped as we got to the end of the designated aisle and kissed him a few more times.

"Go get your Chucks on. We've got some partying to do Mrs. Armstrong." Billie Joe winked, making me smile at the thought that we were finally married.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter of Pieces of Truth, but check out the next installment titled "Sick of Me."