‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

With You

I rang the doorbell and was greeted moments later by a smiling Billie.

"Hey, thanks for showing up."

"No problem?" I answered, stepping inside and he shut the door behind me.

"Your surprise is in my room.."

"Billie Joe, what is this?" I asked, trying not to sound offset.

"No, no! I mean.. I left it upstairs. You can stay down here and snoop, because I know that's what you do. I'll go get it, ok?"

"You know me all too well," I grinned, running up to the top floor and into my favourite bedroom in the house.

It was painted a tropical blue-green, featuring a huge window overlooking the back yard. I laid down on the hardwood floor, staring up at the fan on the ceiling.

"Graceee," Billie called, knocking on the door.

"Yeah?" I asked, rolling on my side to see him carrying a large, wrapped box.

"Beej what is that?"

"I dunno. Why don't you open it," he shrugged, setting in the box in front of me as I sat up. He sat across from me so he could see my reaction to whatever was inside.

I opened this box and peeked inside.

"What is all this?" I asked, pulling out a white t-shirt with 'I ♥ NY' on it. I set it next to me, pulling out various things from across the country.

"Stuff I got for you on the 1,039 tour," he smiled sheepishly.

Billie had been on a few tours before that, so he never referred to it as his first tour, which made sense to me. I pulled out a pair of hot pink panties with palm trees on the butt.

"Where are these from?" I asked, turning bright red.

"Miami," Billie smirked, "I was really excited to see you in those too.."

For the next two hours, Billie and I went through everything he got me as he told me all of the stories behind the items and their corresponding shows. With each and every recount of the experience, I grew more and more fascinated by touring.

"Wow... It sounds like you had a great time," I mused once I had put everything back and laid down.

"Yeah, except for the whole part about you not being there," Billie sighed, laying on the floor beside me, our shoulders touching.

"Come on the road with us for the summer," he blurted, making me look over at him.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Why not?"

"Because of all our history.. With what happened-"

"Grace. I don't want to even think about that period of my life. All I care is that you're right here, right now. This is us, no one else."

"Okay," I nodded, "I'll go."

I watched as Billie's dazzling green eyes lit up, a crooked grin on his face.

"You sure you can afford to feed and house me this time around?" I asked with a sly smile.

"I'm positive, otherwise I wouldn't have asked," he told me as I yawned.

"Gray is tiiirrreeed," Billie teased, making me laugh halfway through my yawn.

"I know, right? I'm always tired. Not physically, but mentally. Life is so redundant and lame."

"Maybe you just need to change things up," Billie suggested.

"Yeah, maybe," I nodded, yawning again.

"Hey, let's have a sleepover. I don't want you falling asleep on your drive home."

"Alright, I think that sounds like a good plan," I nodded.

"Want to do this the old fashioned way?" Billie asked as we both sat up.

"Huh?"

"Hold on," he smiled, hopping up and jogging out of the room.

I stood up, stretching my legs and walking over to the huge window, looking out at the night sky. I began to quietly hum the music to a song that had been stuck in my head. Then I heard the lyrics from behind me.

"Sitting in my room last night, staring at the mirror..." Billie sang as he walked in, carrying a huge comforter, a few blankets and pillows. I helped by taking the pillows so he wouldn't drop everything.

"Sorry I don't have sleeping bags..."

"It's alright," I smiled, helping him set everything out.

"If you want, you can borrow some shorts or something for pajamas," Billie offered and I nodded.

"That'd be cool."

He went down to the second floor and I wandered down to the kitchen on the first. I grabbed a water bottle for Billie, knowing he'd want one. I remember how he always used to wake me up in the middle of the night when he would get up to get a glass of water.. It got old after a bit, so I started leaving water on the night stand so he never had to get up.

When I got back upstairs, I gave Billie the water and he gave me some clothes then I went into the adjoining bathroom. He had given me a pair of green boxers and a black shirt, which I didn't mind at all; it still held that familiar scent that Billie radiated.

We settled into our makeshift bed on the floor, shutting off the lights and gossiping until we were too tired to speak.

I woke up with the sun in my eyes and I groaned, nuzzling my face into Billie Joe's chest.

'Wait,' I froze, opening my eyes to see the gray fabric of Billie's shirt and his pale skin. I felt his arms around my waist and his warm breath on my face, so I pulled back, trying to get out of his grasp. Billie merely shuffled, letting out a sigh before opening his eyes sleepily.

"Hi," I greeted awkwardly.

"Hey.." he mumbled. We sat there for a minute in total silence.

"Uh, Billie Joe?" I asked, glancing up at him, then down.

"Oh! I'm sorry," he quickly apologized, removing his arms and backing up, saying sorry again.

"Old habits, I guess," he shrugged.

"It's alright, Beej. No harm done, it was just a snuggle," I reassured him.

But when I saw the look in his eyes, I could tell it wasn't just some harmless snuggling.

"What's up, Billie? What's on your mind?" I asked as I sat up.

"Nothing," he lied, getting up and heading across the cool, hardwood floor and out the door.

"Billie Joe," I grumbled, jumping up off of the floor and running after him.

He was halfway down the stairs to the second floor when I caught up to him, putting my hands on his shoulders. Billie immediately stopped at my touch, turning around to look up at me since I was on the step above his.

"Talk to me please," I almost had to beg him.

"How can you be so.. So nonchalant! 'Oh, it was just some cuddling' my ass, Grace! You and I both know what it means."

"Would you care to inform me?" I asked, a sharp, sarcastic tone to my voice.

Billie shot me a weird look, then rolled his eyes.

"It means we haven't let go of what we had. And to be totally honest, I'm not going to."

"But I think.."

"Yeah, yeah. You're smart and super analytical. What do you feel though?"

I avoided his gaze, trying to turn around but he grabbed my wrist so I couldn't.

"Now who's the one not being open?" Billie smirked.

"I think you know how I feel, Billie," I answered quietly, "and you also know that I'm not going to act on my emotions. My brain won't let me."

"You need to tell your brain to shut the fuck up, because listening to it obviously hasn't made you happy."

"I have to work today," I said, not even looking into Billie's eyes.

"What time?"

"One."

"So? What's that got to do with anything?" he asked, trying to get me to look at him.

"I don't want to go to work wearing the same thing I did yesterday."

"This isn't gonna go away. I won't let it," he told me in a serious voice.

"I know," I nodded, "Let me have some time to think. Maybe my heart can convince my brain to do what it wants for a change."

Billie nodded, turning and walking down the stairs and to his bedroom as I went back up and got into my own clothes.

When I got back to my apartment, I called out of work saying I was sick, then changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Once I was comfy, I got out an assortment of Kelsey's liquor and got drunk off my ass at eleven in the morning.