‹ Prequel: Paper Lanterns
Sequel: Sick of Me
Status: Completed! Check out the follow up series, Sick of Me. (Edited on 9-23-12 for layout, grammar, and spelling.)

Pieces of Truth

When I Piece it Together, Baby,

"Grace, what the fuck did you do?" I heard Kelsey screech, making me jerk awake.

"Huh?" I asked, looking around.

I was in my bath tub, a bunch of empty beer cans and a few empty bottles of some Russian alcohol I couldn't even pronounce laying beneath my legs.

"I'm calling Billie. He'll know what to do," Tre's voice rang out, and I looked up to see Kelsey and Tre in the doorway, watching me with concerned looks.

"Don't you dare call him," I grumbled, trying to stand up, only to collapse back into the tub. "My head hurts."

"Uhm, it should. You drank everything in the liquor cabinet and my six pack in the fridge," Kelsey snarled, then turned to Tre, "Call Billie back so he doesn't freak."

"What do you mean, call him back?" I asked, shielding my eyes from the light with my arm.

"He called earlier because you didn't go to work like you said you had to," Tre told me.

"Oh, yeah. What time is it?"

"Nine p.m., Grace," Kelsey said in a disappointed, motherly voice, "You could have seriously hurt yourself."

"Yeah, but I didn't. Tre, don't call him. If you do, he'll just come rushing over.. And trust me, Billie Joe is the last thing I need right now."

Then I heard Tre tell Kelsey the exact opposite. Kelsey helped me out of the tub and to my bed, then Tre reappeared and asked her to come talk to him. I laid down, snuggling up in the covers and trying to sleep.

I had almost succeeded, when three voices woke me up.

"So, you came home and she was passed out?" Billie asked.

"Yeah, in the tub," Kelsey clarified.

"Sounds a lot like you, huh, Beej?" Tre asked in a joking manner.

"How about you two go out for a while. I'll stay here with Grace. I think I know what to do"

A few minutes later, it was just me and Billie.

"Grace," I heard his gentle, comforting voice and I looked up at him. He had three advil and a glass of water ready for me.

"Thanks," I nodded, swallowing the pills as he sat down at the foot of my bed.

I sat up to face him, noticing the caring, soft aura he gave off.

"I'm sorry if I've put too much pressure on you these past few weeks.. You know I love you, and I want what's best for you.. Even if it means you're not with me," he said quietly and I just stared at him.

How were these words coming from the most stubborn, hard headed man alive?

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"But-" I started, "What if I want to be with you and I don't feel like I can yet?"

"Then I can't do anything about it. I realized that I have to give you all the time you need, and everything will fall into place."

"Wait a second," I stared, "What have you done to my Billie Joe, you impostor?" I asked, gently tugging on his hair.

"I guess he's growing up?" Billie answered with a shrug, making me grin.

"That's exactly what I've been needing to hear," I said, watching Billie lite up. He moved closer to me, pulling me in for a warm hug. I rested my chin on his shoulder, wrapping my arms around his waist to return the gesture.

"Billie Joe," I murmured, tracing my fingers along his back.

"Hmm, Gray?"

"I," as soon as I spoke, a queasy feeling hit me like a ton of bricks, "I think I'm gonna be sick."

I jumped up, running to the bathroom and falling to my knees in front of the toilet.

When I walked back into my room after brushing my teeth about eight times, Billie wasn't there.

"Beej?" I called, peeking out into the living room.

"Kitchen!" he yelled back.

"Why are you in my- oh," I cut myself off upon seeing a plate of Ruffles, cream cheese and a dill pickle slice.

"Ta-da! Grace's hangover helper!" Billie grinned proudly.

"You remembered," I laughed as he handed me the plate.

"How could I forget something so weird?"

I shrugged, picking up a chip and popping it into my mouth.

"Thanks again, Beej," I yawned once I'd finished my hangover snack.

"Ready for bed? It's only midnight."

"I don't know if you are, but I'm tired," I admitted, "It's been a long day."

"Of binge drinking and sleeping in tubs.." Billie chuckled.

"Hey!" I yelped, feeling my face turn red.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of.. I used to all the time."

"I know."

He shot me a confused look, so I clarified.

"Tre and Mike told me. Hey, do you want to stay the night?" I asked as I quickly washed and dried my plate, putting it back in the cabinet.

"Are you sure?" Billie asked, standing in front of me as I leaned against the counter. He put his hands against the slab of faux granite on either side of me and I slung mine around his neck.

"You know what I want?" I asked, making sure we kept eye contact the whole time I spoke. It was really important that I did so he knew that I was serious.

"What's that, Gray?"

"I want us to be better than we were before any of this shit ever happened. But I want to work up to it slowly.. If you haven't given up on waiting for me already."

"I'd never give up on you. Let's try and make it work, and make it last for good."

I leaned up, very lightly pecking his lips then pulled back.

"Baby steps," I explained when I saw Billie's longing look after.

"Alright. I can deal with that. Or..." he got a devious look in his eyes, "I can make you want me. I'm irresistible."

"That may be true, but I have self control," I laughed.

"I know you do. Now let's go to bed."

The next morning I woke up alone after falling asleep next to the boy I'd missed for so long. I got out of bed and walked into the living room, looking around.

Then I spotted Billie out on the balcony, his back facing the glass door as he smoked a cigarette. I shook my head, sighing slightly and going into the kitchen to find some breakfast. When I didn't see anything remotely breakfast related in the fridge or cabinets, I groaned and walked to the glass door.

I tapped on the glass, catching Billie's attention. He turned around, putting out what was left of his cigarette. I opened the door, stepping onto the balcony.

"There's nothing to eat for breakfast, so take a shower and get dressed because we'll be dining out."

"Well if you put it that way," he winked, "Want to save water and shower with me?"

"Billie Joe!" I shrieked, "I let you sleep in my bed with me last night. Don't push it."

"Fine. Can't say I didn't try," he shrugged, following me back inside and going to take a shower.

I quickly got dressed in a green v-neck t-shirt and a pair of dark jean shorts, lacing up my Chuck Taylors in a clever pattern. By the time I was done, Billie was out of the shower and walking around with a towel wrapped around his hips.

"I can't find my clothes from yesterday.." he told me innocently and I just blatantly stared.

Why hadn't I noticed the tattoo of my name on his arm earlier?

"Grace?" he asked, a curious smile on his face.

"When did you get that tattoo?" I let out finally.

"I don't remember. A while ago, I guess. Do you like them?"

I didn't even bother looking at the others. I'd seen them, but never noticed the clearly drawn letters that spelled out my name on his body.

I nodded curtly.

"Definitely. Now your clothes are in my room. Go get dressed."

Billie and I decided to have breakfast at Rod's because we both wanted to see Ollie. On the way into the restaurant, Billie slipped his hand into mine and my eyes darted over to see an unusually shy smile on his lips.

I smiled too, squeezing his hand in approval and making his grin widen.