Status: Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

Chasing the Night

Six

Volterra, Italy has been home to humans, and vampires alike, since the 8th century B.C. Four hundred years later the great defensive wall, more than seven kilometers long, was built to protect the urban center. Volterra is tucked away on hilltop, which was a defense itself, in the heart of Tuscany. In the third century B.C. Volterra was brought under Roman control after a series of battles. During the early Middle Ages, after the decline of the Roman Empire, Volterra was governed, publicly at least, by the Church. After some time with the Volturi I learned that they had a strong influence in almost every aspect of the city; politically, economically and socially. But I also learned that they only used their influence to protect their way of life. And according to Aro, the conflict Volterra had with Florence when we arrived was not threatening to their way of life. He explained that it was just a petty feud between families and the Church; nothing serious.

As our coach approached the city, I pushed my head threw the square window. Numerous walls and gates had been built since the first wall. Stone towers and buildings the color of sand rose above the many walls and silhouetted themselves against the sky. The sun was still bright as it set in the west and a soft cool breeze blew through my hair. I must have been out there for a while when Aro's calm voice broke into my sight seeing. “Claire, dear, you should sit back before you scare the poor guards.” It was then that I noticed the sun's bright rays still graced the hilltop and the coach. The rays that landed on my pale skin caused it to shine like stars on a clear summer night. And I was sure it was easily visible from the city so I instantly retook my previous seat next to Aro.

The road beneath us became smoother as we passed through the main gates into the city of Volterra. The sun continued to set as the coach made it's way farther into the city. Dusk had set in the city when the coach finally stopped outside a large building. The mysterious coachmen jumped down from the driver's seat and opened the door for us. I stepped out into the night air first and Aro followed. I instantly looked up at the building before us. The left side was a tall bell tower. It rose about hundred and fifty feet into the sky and was made of the same brown stone as the other buildings. The right side looked to be the outer wall of a courtyard of some kind. There was a walk way built into the wall which ran the length of the it before turning the corner.

Aro grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. He flashed a soft smile and said “You should see it in the daylight.” I knew about Aro's gift and for some reason it never concerned me. When you reach a certain age, it's impossible to be embarrassed. And it was sometimes easier to think something than speak it out loud. And I was sure Aro had heard worst than my trivial thoughts.

The interior the building was very similar to the outside; brown, stone and some what cold. The driver stayed outside with the horses, so Aro and I were left alone to walk through the dreary corridor. Many minutes passed and I started to notice that the hallway angled downwards in a very small degree. The brown stones clearly got older the farther we walked into the corridor, which seemed to be taking the shape of a tunnel.

After another couple hundred feet I saw light at what I presumed was the end of the tunnel. I could tell by the flickering the light came from a torch. A few minutes later I realized, with a small sense of satisfaction, that I was right. On each side of the tunnel two metal torches were mounted on the wall. The firelight caste ghoulish shadow against the brown walls. Behind the glowing torches were two a highly detailed doors. They appeared to be made of wood but they were painted a bright white. Carved in the wood were multiple curved designs stretching from the bottom to the top and from the left to the right side of each door. The door handles, two simple metal spheres coated in gold, finished the picture.

If I had a heartbeat I'm certain it would have increased to a dangerous level as we continued to approach the large doors. It couldn't have taken us five minutes to walk the remaining distance but to me it felt like a lifetime, which, as I look back at it now, is completely ironic since I will never know what a lifetime feels like. The seventeen years I was live can hardly be considered a normal length of a life. But even though my body would never again show signs of discomfort it was still expressed internally in my emotions. And as Aro released my hand and placed his on the door handle the feeling of nervousness and apprehension grew and by the time Aro opened one of the white doors my whole body was consumed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait.

Comments?