Status: Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

Chasing the Night

Huit

It was impossible for there to be a single building this big. The hallways seemed to travel on forever. The decor was very similar to the great hall we had just left. Our feet barely made a sound as we passed by numerous archways and other doors. After we passed a descending stairwell I realized that the majority of the structure was probably underground. Athenodora was still as perky and positive as she was in the hall. My mind remained slightly paralyzed from the intensity of the of previous hours so I wasn't really following what Athenodora was saying. She didn't seem to notice though.

“...Volterra is really a great city. I can show you around town later. But I guess I should show you around here first. It's quite big. I still get lost sometimes.” Athenodora's laugh was a rather high pitched giggle. I thought it fit her appearance very nicely. She turned instinctively down a small hallway and I followed. “I hear you're from France. What's it like?” She asked sincerely.

A small sigh escaped my lips. France. Even though it had only been a few days since I left my home country, my heart ached lightly in my chest. Even thought it was physically impossible for my heart to ache but it still felt that way. Later, I realized my love for France was brought on by my need for a constant. A constant besides myself and the other immortals which surrounded me. France was my constant. Even as Paris and the rest of the country grew though the centuries the land, and the people, remained the same to me. Us French are not a fan of change.

My trip down memory lane was broken by the loud awkward silence which filled the air between Athenodora and I. I felt compelled to give the curious woman a rather descriptive explanation of my former home. She seemed satisfied as I finished describing my only memory of Paris. “Where are you from?” I asked randomly.

“Sulci. A rather large city on the southwest corner of Sardinia. It's only about a hundred leagues from the coast but I haven't been there since Caius changed me. All I remember about the city was it's rather large bay which was used for fishing and small boats. But I'm sure it's changed very much in the past twelve hundred years.” She spoke as if she had no desire to return to her homeland. I could never imagine that there would be a time when I did not want to visit France.

“Who's Caius?” I asked offhandedly, hoping he wasn't one of the many people I'd already met.

Athenodora immediately lit up again and the excitement crept back into her voice. “Caius? He's my husband. Well, if you can call what we have a marriage. We never had, like, an actually ceremony or anything. But we're like you and Aro.” And what were Aro and I? I loved him but -. I pushed the imposing thought away before it could spell itself out. I pretended to examine the passing wall so I could protect any sign on my face of the thought that had started to form from Athenodora. Still, I wasn't sure if she had detected anything.

Athenodora's tour was long but entertaining, which, I was sure, was due to grandness of the Volturi's home and Athenodora's chipper attitude. I could find no difference in the floor or walls as we moved through the halls and rooms. The library contained the largest amount of books I had ever seen. The thick wooden shelves were filled with old, dusty, leather-bound books. The shelves ran the length of the multiple walls and reached up the to the point where the roof began curve into the shape of a dome. I could read but the only books I was ever allowed to touch were the Bible and a few other religious texts. I never knew that some many books existed. I was overwhelmed. The other rooms were just as elegant and grand as the library but they were unable to impress me. I was set on the library being my favorite room.

I had no concept of how much time had passed as Athenodora and I walked the halls together. We passed no windows, which further re-enforced my idea that we were underground. I lost track of how many staircases we walked up and down, so I couldn't estimate how far we were underground. Occasionally we passed a canvas painting hung on the wall but there was nothing visible to distinguish between the hallways. With the usual absence of effort, I followed Athenodora up what must had been our hundredth set of stairs. A large square window was built into the wall opposite the top of the stairs. The city was still covered in darkness but I could see a hint of light creeping over the mountains to the east.

The new hallway was wider and the stone walls appeared to be a lighter shade of brown but the marble floor was still the same. I listened quietly as Athenodora described her favorite place in the city, which was apparently visible from the window we had just passed. She finished her part of the conversation as we approached a single door at the end of the hallway. It was awkward looking; a lone oak door surrounded by large stone bricks. “This is yours and Aro's room. He should be up soon so this is where I leave you.” She sounded more professional now than she did though entire tour. Athenodora opened the oak door before disappearing down the hallway.

I entered the room not sure what to expect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, I am sorry for the wait.