Status: Fin

You Changed My Life Kid.

Chapter Four: Meeting Grandma.

After Matt and Val left. I gave Ophelia a bath. Then put her to bed. I sat up for about an hour to make sure she didn’t wake up and need me. I checked on her as I walked passed and then went to bed myself.

During he night, I felt a little hand on tap my face. I opened my eyes to see Leila standing there. She looked scared hugging her bunny to her.

“Nightmare?” I asked. She nodded. I pulled her up and laid her down. I laid on my side towards her and she curled up to me. We were soon both back to sleep.

When I woke up, Leila was sitting on the bed, her long hair fell down her back and it swayed back and forth gently as she played with her bunny. She looked behind her and handed me the bunny.

“Your bunny.” I said, she turned and got on her knees. Then she started playing with it again. All she wanted me to do was hold it. “Hungry?” she nodded.

I got out of bed and placed her on the floor. She went into her room and I followed her. I changed her diaper and her into the outfit she was going to wear. I made her toast and banana pieces. I changed while she eat, she was sitting at the table. I was button my pants when I heard a thud and her start to cry. I walked out quickly to find her laying on the floor. I picked her up, held her to my chest and told her everything was going to be okay. She calmed down.

When it was time to go see my mom, I grabbed her shoes. A bag Val help me put together filled with things I might need for her. One of the things I got for her Leila when Val and I went shopping was a car seat. It was in the center of back seat. I strapped her in then kissed her little cheek. She squealed at me reaching for something, that’s when I remember I had her bunny in my jacket pocket. I handed it to her and she relaxed. She looked around the car for a little while then she looked out the windows the rest of the way. Only makes noises that sounded like she was talking. I just nodded my head and said “Oh really.”

I pulled into the driveway on my parents house. My mom was home but my dad was at work. I pulled Leila from her seat and she wanted to be held. So I held her in one arm. She held on to my jacket as I made my way up the path. I had her ring the door bell. My mom’s dog, Peanut, started to bark and I started to panic. I wasn’t sure how she was going to react around Peanut. He was a big dog. My mom opened the door and she stood there shocked. I smiled at Leila who was looking at me.

“Mom?” she snapped out of her daze. Looking from Ophelia who was now resting her head on my shoulder, she came outside.

“Zack?” she said, placing a gentle hand on Leila’s back. “She’s beautiful. Is she yours?” I nodded.

“Her mother was Mary-Lynn.” I said. Her face was in shock.

“Is she alright?” I shook my head no.

“She passed away.” I whispered. Leila then wrapped it arm around my neck. ”Baby girl you know what’s going on don’t you.” I whispered to her. She didn’t move, but her little fingers started playing with my hair.

“Let me take care of Peanut then you two can come in.” my mom said. I nodded.

Once inside, I took Ophelia’s jacket and shoes to make her a little more comfortable. I pulled her toys from her bag and she sat on the couch next to me playing. My mom and I sat there talking as we watched Leila.

“So how has it been being a single parents so far?” my mom asked.

“I haven’t had her long but it’s been going smooth so far. She’s only cried twice so far.” I said, running my hand over her hair. She looked up at me. She then pointed at her cup that was on the table. I reach and gave it to her. After a few sips. She handed it back and asked for a kiss. I pecked her lips and she smiled and laughed.

“What are you going to do when it comes down to touring?” my mom asked.

“I’ll get a nanny. Someone who can deal with the traveling and being on a bus.” I said, shrugging my shoulders.

“She could always come and stay here with me and your father.” she said.

“No. he already complains about you babysitting your other grand kids. I’m not going to give him a reason to call me a bad parent.” I said.

“He’s just cranky.” my mom said. I sighed.

Ophelia and I left before my dad got home. I really didn’t want my daughter to meet her grandfather when he wasn’t in the best of moods.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment...