The Bet

Prologue.

He pulled his jacket closer to him as the rain slapped him in the face. He muttered obscentites under his breath as he ducked under the eave of a closed shop on Telegraph Avenue. His teethed chattered as he looked around at the dark and empty street. Was this weather the consequence of his actions? He shook his head, determined not to think about that now. Well, how could he not? That's how he got into this situation in the first place.

He wiped his drenched hair out of his view; his face was wet. He couldn't tell if it were from the rain or his tears. He was suddenly thankful nobody was around to see him losing control of his emotions. The guy that didn't care. Hell, that's who he thought he had been.

Who knew that something as small as a bet could change your life in such a drastic way? He sure as hell thought it was going to be simple. Simplicity. Oh, how he longed for that feeling once more.

He pulled his hood tightly against the sides of his face as he dashed across the street. Headlights became visible through the bullets that shot down in the night and a car swerved around his small body. The loud, unfortunate honk caused him to cover his ears and he tripped; missing the step to the sidewalk.

He pulled his knees into his chest as he laid on the flooded sidewalk and, for a moment, didn't care if he were to die.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm pushing myself as a writer to write this story. It's different from other stories I've written and I've been thinking about writing this for a while now. I got a sudden wave on inspiration tonight and viola!