The Bet

The Way We Move.

"...Ever since I was a young boy I've played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all..."

Shayla subconsciously looked up from her English textbook, scanning the library as she was growing tired of re-reading the same line of Macbeth. She was beginning to become irritated with herself. She couldn't stay on track and she had a quiz tomorrow over the act.

Commotion out of the corner of her eye caused her to look up at the nearest corner of the rows of library stacks. She saw a girl pushed up against the white brick wall grabbing the back of a boy's head as he groped her neck. She bit the boy's earlobe which caused him to push her even closer against the wall.

She could almost throw up.

She looked back down her textbook, but she couldn't get the couple out of her mind. Who in their right mind would try such a thing in a public building?

She saw a librarian cross in front of her table, heading right for them. She looked up while the boy turned his head as well.

As they stared at each other, his lips turned upward into a triumphant smile. This was almost too good to be true.

She was watching him.

Billie turned back to the girl, who was staring up at him in pure hunger. He pushed his lips against her feverishly. As long as he held her attention, he might as well show her what she was missing.

Shayla grew irritated as she watched him kiss on her. She knew he was only doing it to bug her. The atmosphere of the room completely changed when they hooked eyes. He was a fool if he thought that was going to have any effect on her. She could pack up her things and move to a different table, far away from the obscene scene, but that would only give him ammo..

Shayla shook her head, clearing her mind. She needed to focus on what truly mattered: achieving perfect grades and getting out of this town. She had no time for games.

*

Sunlight peeked through the ivy covered windows, hitting Shayla directly in the eye. She pulled her white duvet over her face as she turned away from the light, snuggling deeply into the back of the couch. She had been bed-ridden with food poisoning ever since her monthly dinner of Chinese food with her mother.

Being on the verge on sleep, she shook violently as if she had fallen, when the doorbell rang throughout the empty house. She slowly opened her eyes once she realized that no one else was going to answer.

She wondered who it could be as she stood up from the couch and stretched her tired arms over her head as she made her way toward the front door. It was the middle of the day and anyone who knew her knew that her father was at the office.

Pulling the front door open, she nearly jumped out of her skin as she saw the least expected person at her doorstep.

He knew right away that she had just woken up. He smiled playfully to himself as she waved him in and stepped back as he stepped into the nice house.

The first thing he noticed was her shirt. Crinkled from just being laid on, her worn black shirt rode up her narrow sides and exposed her jutting hipbones and fading bruises.

"Agent Orange?" He asked, his eyes traveling to the end of her shirt.

"Yes. T-They're a band I saw during the summer." She looked down, realizing what she was wearing wasn't enough for her comfort while around him.

"I know who they are," he explained. "I'm just surprised is all."

Shayla rolled her eyes.

She inhaled fresh marijuana stench and plugged her nose. "You brought that smell with you." She shook her head. "Which reminds me...Why are you here?"

Billie brought his hands up in surrender. "You haven't been to chemistry this week so I'm just bringing you your make-up work."

She snorted. "I would of thought you could do better than that."

"What?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"You. Bring me my homework? Oh, come on, Billie! We both know there is a different reason as to why you're here."

He laughed, running his free hand through his already disheveled hair.

"Yeah, ha. I thought maybe you would buy that lame-ass excuse."

She smiled as she took the pile of papers out of his hand. "Not at all. In fact, I'm going to choose to be a little offended for thinking so little of me."

It was Billie's turn to smile.

"I don't think of you as someone who will buy what ever they are told." he said, guessing correctly.

"Heh," She breathed. "Well thanks, I guess."

She threw the pile of papers onto her mother's favorite table and crossed her arms over her chest.

"The actual reason as to why I'm here," he continued, "Is because I was worried about you." He sheepishly smiled, causing Shayla's heart to skip a beat.

"Ah. I see." She ran a hand through her disheveled hair as well.

"I just have a case of food poisoning, but other than that, I'm fine, thank you."

As she looked up at him, she realized that their last encounter should have left her feeling awkward, but at that moment, she didn't feel a thing.

"Would you like something to eat? I'm starved." She offered, having a feeling he wasn't going to pass up something to eat in his current state of mind.

"Sure." He smiled.

Shayla searched their pantry for something to eat.

"I only see macaroni and cheese. How does that sound?"

"Fucking fantastic," Billie mumbled, joining her side.

Shayla laughed as she turned and set it down on the marble counter.

"I know I'm not a good cook, so I don't want to make it," she admitted, turning to face him.

"I'm not a good cook either! What do I look like to you, a future chief?"

"Not at all," she replied. "Well....how about a good ole game of rock-paper-scissors to decide?"

Billie was stunned. "Are you serious?"

"Why not?" She shrugged, turning her hand into a fist.

"Alright, but I must warn you: I am very good."

"Right, right, right," Shayla teased as Billie mimicked her action.

"Whatever, dude. I'm about to dominate your ass."

"1....2....3.." Shayla counted out loud as their fists bopped in sync.

"Aw, dammit!" Billie exclaimed as her paper covered his rock.

"Oh, I see what you did there." Shayla laughed as she walked away from the loser.

"Uh, where are your pans?" He called, only causing her to laugh harder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally an update. I'm not too happy with it, but it's going to get the story rolling.

Hopefully you're not too disappointed in the quality.