The Bet

No Lies, Just Love.

"When my mother first moved out of the house, it was really hard on both my dad and I. I was used to coming downstairs to the smell of a fresh batch of coffee and the sound of eggs sizzling on the pan. Except the first morning when it all wasn't there, it was like a small part of my life has been cut out." She explained to him as he pushed the butt of his cigarette into the crack of the cool sidewalk.

It was after Sweet Children's set, and Billie Joe had taken Shayla outside for some quality alone time. He was determined to know her, to get into the very inner workings of her mind. He was blunt with her, he figured he might as well get something in return from her.

"We come from quite the different worlds," she continued, tucking her hair behind her ear. "If it weren't for Ms. Jackson, none of this would even be happening."

"Do you think some things happen for a reason?" He beckoned, his question surprising her.

She nodded. "I believe some things, not everything."

"So you believe that you and I were destined to cross paths, even if for a momentary two weeks."

"Well," she thought. "I believe we were meant to cross paths, yes. But I think some things, like the amount of time we spend together, is done on our own. We could easily just see each other in chemistry and be done with it."

Billie liked insightful Shayla.

"That's smart. I like that. How come I have a feeling you would be a great candidate for deep conversation?" He chuckled, leaning toward her and lightly jabbing her with his elbow, which were dangling freely over his knees.

She smiled. "I take that to heart, I really do. I'm glad someone thinks that about me because nobody ever gives me the time of day to say anything unless they're looking for answers to their school work."

"I don't see why everyone thinks you're so horrible. Or stuck-up, or what-the-fuck-ever their problem is. When I first laid eyes on you, which was the day we were assigned partners in chemistry, I could see you were socially shy, yeah, but the vibe I got off of you was nurturing and warmhearted." He could of kicked himself for sounding so mushy.

It was quiet for a moment as Shayla took in the biggest compliment she had heard him give thus far. She struggled to find words, so she finally decided to be as honest as he had been.

"You're not like what people say either."

Billie snorted. "Oh, I am. I'm a cocky, arrogant asshole."

"But you are also warmhearted, protective, charming, and funny. I don't see how those could be so bad."

"You think I'm charming?" He cut off her train of thought.

"What?" She asked, blinking hard as she looked at him.

He smirked. "You called me charming. You..called...me...charming." He spoke each word slowly, making sure to see that she got the point. She did.

It was Shayla's turn to playfully slap Billie's leg.

"Shut up! You can be, and it's nothing to be ashamed of!" She laughed then, a genuine laugh, and the sound was unfamiliar to their ears.

She felt her cheeks heat up as he grabbed a hold of the hand that had hit him, and he smiled his lopsided grin.

"Well that was new as well. Ms. Summers, I'm afraid you're coming apart at the seams. I'm seeing a whole new side of you, and I'm really liking her."

She rolled her eyes. "I told you at the party that I was becoming comfortable around you, and I'm not focusing on being scared because something tells me I have nothing to fear."

She moved her hand so her fingers fell into his, and he gave her hand a light squeeze.

"What I said inside, about wanting to see the real you, that's the truth. I do, but the more time I spend with you, I'm figuring out that you're not really even hiding. You're just not given the right opportunity to show people, and I feel sorry for everyone who is missing out. You're one helluva person, Shayla Summers. I'll tell you that."

"If you think I'm something, you should see my art. They hold all the answers you seek."

He looked up toward the sky, mesmerized by the pink and orange overcast of the sky as he took in his current situation, and felt his heart skip beat.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was short but sweet. I hope you enjoyed, and don't hate me for not updating.