The Bet

Bad Luck.

The following morning, Shayla limped toward her locker as she was careful not to put too much pressure on her freshly cut foot.

"Shayla, wait up!" A familiar voice called out, but it wasn't the voice she was used to sneaking up on her.

She stopped in her tracks, sighing deeply as she turned slowly as she she heard his frantic footsteps catching up to her.

"Hello, Dave." Her voice flat.

"Why are you still dodging me? We have to talk one day, Shay." He tried rubbing her arm but she turned in instinct.

"This isn't working for me anymore, Dave. I'm sorry." She gave him a stern look.

"What are you and Armstrong a couple now? One kiss and he is suddenly Prince Charming?" Dave gritted through his teeth.

"You saw?" Shayla asked, holding back a laugh.

"What's so funny?" He felt himself losing his cool.

"You are trying to place the blame where it doesn't belong, Dave. You hit me and you are trying to come around saying I did the wrong when I was kissed first, mind you, and you are the innocent party here. Well guess what Dave? You aren't." Shayla defended herself proudly.

"He's tricking you Shayla! You are going to end up hurt." Dave warned, stepping closer.

"It's funny how you start giving a shit now, Dave," Shayla looked him straight in the eyes. "When I'm not yours anymore. You know what, after all that has happened recently, it's really opened my eyes. I can't be afraid anymore. I just end up being stepped on! I used to let you walk all over me. I would do anything for you! So no, he's not tricking me. He has done nothing but good so far and you just can't handle it. It's because of him I am standing here and telling you to leave me alone. We are done, Dave. Get away from me!" Shayla stood firmly in her place and rolled her shoulders back to signal that she was not going to be backing down.

Dave scoffed.

"Don't say I didn't warn you, Shay. It may not be today, but one day he is going to hurt you."

"Thank you for the courtesy warning, Dave. Bye-bye now!" She waved her hand once.

*

"Did you hear that Shayla left Dave?" Mike asked while throwing his backpack in his locker before slamming it shut.

Billie nearly choked on his saliva.

"S-She left him?"

Mike laughed. "Yeah. I guess this means that this bet is about to get a helluva lot easier for you."

He furrowed his brow as he absorbed this weirdly mind-boggling news.

"I suppose so. I mean, I don't really have any challenges left..." He trailed off, running a hand through his hair.

"If you aren't interested anymore, you know this means you lose, right?"

Billie smirked. "I'm interested. I'm very, very interested."

"Interested in this bet, or interested in her?"

"What do you mean?" He stopped mid-stride and turned toward his friend.

"I mean, do you like her Bil? Because that also means that you lose this bet. You can't have any real feelings toward a challenge."

"Why would I actually like her? I know what I'm doing man, relax."

Mike shook his head.

"I don't know, dude, you don't seem to realize the way you act around her."

"I'm going along with the ride, Mikey, relax yourself! I know what I'm doing."

"I hope," he laughed, "I just have a feeling you are going to be losing this bet."

As they continued their journey to their last class of the day, Billie couldn't help but lose himself in thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hi! I'm back. For good.

This one is quite short because I'm still falling back into the feel of things. Hopefully you all still enjoyed.

Also, it seems that the chunk of space to indicate a new scene does not appears anymore. So I'll be putting a * as a warning.

Thanks for reading!