The Bet

Cave.

The whole time Billie Joe spoke to Shayla, he could feel Mike's eyes on the back of his head.

"Will you excuse me for a moment?" He asked, smiling his crooked smile.

"Of course." She smiled back.

Billie pushed himself up from the desk next to hers and as soon as his back was turned, he narrowed his eyes on his best friend.

"Dude! What is your problem?" Billie sneered.

"I'm just watching you do you know, your thing." Mike shrugged, pushing a few strands of hair out of his eyes.

"Well quit it! I'm having a hard time focusing when I can feel your eyeballs boring holes into the back of my head."

Mike laughed. "What's the problem Bil? You aren't talking to me so what else am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know," he sighed, "I wish I were stoned. This would be so much easier."

"You should invite Shayla to the party Tre is throwing this weekend. If you can get her drunk this will be over in no time."

Billie bit his lip.

"She doesn't drink."

Mike rolled his eyes. "Of course she doesn't. Bil, you're going to have to do something before it takes up until graduation to sleep with her!"

Billie Joe laughed at the impatience of his best friend.

"I will invite her. I guess we'll have to see where the night takes us."

*

Billie slipped his hand into hers while they walked up the gravel driveway that led to what seemed like an abandoned cabin.

"Whose place is this again?" Shayla squinted as she studied that less-than-stable house she was going to be staying the night in.

Her mother had agreed to cover for her so she wouldn't have to worry about getting into trouble with her father, which was always a good day in Shayla's eyes.

"Tre's. He's a friend from the music scene."

"Gilman?"

Billie smiled. "You remember."

"Well yeah. I really liked it there."

Billie squeezed Shayla's hand as the screen door of the log cabin flew open and a unstable short green-haired kid with a beer in his hand greeted them with a lovely smile.

"My bitches! I'm so happy you could join us!" He smiled as they joined him on the porch. The reeking smell of marijuana wafted into Shayla's nostrils and she tried her best not to cringe.

Billie's grip on her hand disappeared as he raised his arms for a bear hug from Tre. She smiled to herself as she slipped inside and noticed Mike sitting on the couch in the middle of the living room holding a bong.

His gaze met hers and he smiled as his glassy eyes waved her over.

"Shuh-hey-la!" He patted the seat next to him and she couldn't help but giggle at his antics.

"Hey Mike." She greeted as she took a seat on the brownish worn out couch that seemed to have a permanent smell of weed.

"Where's your boyfriend?" He asked, looking at the open doorway as Tre chatted up more guests that had come in after them.

"He's not my boyfriend," she laughed, "but I have no idea. I already lost him."

Mike stared into her clear eyes.

"I know how you two feel about each other. I'm just hoping neither of you end up with a broken heart."

Shayla furrowed her brow but before should could investigate further, Billie placed a hand on both of their shoulders.

"There you two are." Billie squeezed Mike's shoulder harder than Shayla's as she turned to greet him.

"Yes, Mike was just telling me something that I didn't quite understand."

Mike laughed. "Forget it, sister! I'm stoned! Go have a good time with Billie now."

Shayla nodded slowly as she stood up and Billie offered his hand when she came around the couch.

"There's more privacy out back." He urged.

"Alright. Have fun now, Mike." She giggled to herself once again as Billie started making their way through the crowd of people.

*

Billie took another swig of his beer as he stared up at the oncoming night sky as they sat in silence.

"It's a beautiful sunset," Shayla broke the silence.

He nodded.

"I would love to paint this."

"Do you want me to go see if I can find something for you?" He offered, setting the bottle between his feet.

"No, no, it's quite alright."

Billie turned toward her and placed a hand on top of hers.

"You...are so breathtaking." He whispered, taking in her features.

She felt her cheeks heat up.

"Billie Joe..." She started.

"Sh-sh-sh. Just look at me, please." His voice was soft.

She looked up at him slowly and noticed how sincere his gaze was once they locked eyes.

She bit down on her lip as she chuckled lightly as they kept their silent eye-contact.

"Don't do that. Just. Look at me." He urged, grabbing a hold of her hand.

After a moment, he slowly raised it up to his mouth and lightly placed a kiss on her knuckles without blinking.

Shayla let out a soft moan as her stomach fluttered with an enjoyable tingle.

"Do you want to have some fun?" She asked, her gaze moving down to his lips.

"I'm enjoying myself."

"As am I. I mean....some memorable fun." She bit her lip; hiding a devilish smile.

Billie raised an eyebrow as he scooted closer to her on the cool concrete steps.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Give me your beer."

He chuckled. "What?"

"Give...me...your...beer." She spoke slower, sticking her free hand out.

"Okay, okay. Don't get feisty." He broke their hold as he turned and leaned down to grab his beer. He hesitated but the look on her face suggested he give it to her.

"Here goes nothing." She toasted, sticking the beer in the air.

"Bottoms up!" He cheered.

As Shayla threw her head back, Billie Joe broke out into a fit of laughter as he watched her crinkle her nose in disgust.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have the next few chapters made out in my head and I'm excited to write them.

Thanks for reading!