The Bet

Liar, Liar.

A groaning from behind him let him know that she was awake.

"Sleeping beauty rises," He joked, running a hand through his disheveled hair as he turned to face her.

Shayla woke up with a pounding headache. She sat up slowly, letting the sheets fall from her, and grabbed the sides of her head.

"So this is what a hangover feels like," she muttered. "I don't remember a thing from last night."

Billie freezing a bit escaped her notice as she closed her eyes and slowly rubbed her temples.

"Y-yeah. Me neither." He cleared his throat as he stood up. The sudden lift from the bed made her open her eyes.

"Billie, would you get me some aspirin? I think it's safe if I just sit right here." She shared a kind smile.

He forced a smile. "Yeah, of course. I'll be right back."

He disappeared from the room and Shayla fell back into the strange bed. At least her mother had covered for her and she would not have to think any stressful thoughts while overcoming her first, and hopefully last, hangover.

While she lay with her eyes closed, bits and pieces of the previous night started rushing back. Laughter. Lots of laughter. Kissing. Lots of kissing.

"Oh, no," She grumbled as she sat back up, and the door to the unfamiliar bedroom opened and Billie reappeared.

"Water is also highly suggested. I'm familiar with what you're experiencing." He laughed halfheartedly as she took the water silently. She threw her head back as she swallowed the aspirin.

"Ugh." She crinkled her nose.

Billie smiled. "I've never seen anyone look so adorable while making that face."

She chuckled at the compliment.

"Well, thanks. And for the water." She lifted it up a bit before taking another sip.

A silence fell upon them as Billie rejoined her on the full bed. It had been a touchy night for it was quite the challenge for two people to share such a small bed.

"You don't remember anything from last night?" He asked, furrowing his brow as he ran another hand through his bedhead.

"No," she said slowly. "Nothing really. A lot of laughing, and some kissing." She glanced at Billie out of the corner of her eye, smirking.

"Well, you know, you are quite the flirt when you let loose." Billie chuckled.

Shayla sighed. "Yeah, I think it is best if I keep wound up. I remember all my conversations and never wake up wishing I hadn't."

She took a sip of the water, the cool affect made her feel a bit better. His next words made her internally rolled her eyes.

"You did good for your first time."

"Well, thanks, I guess." She narrowed her eyes as they looked at each other and smiled.

*

"So you're telling me she doesn't remember anything, at all?" Mike questioned, looking up from fiddling with his food.

"Bits and pieces. No conversations."

The following Monday morning had been quite uneventful due to Shayla's temporary loss of memory. He had completely forgotten about the bet as well. That is, until Mike inquired about his progress at lunch.

"I would say I won." He laughed. "It is obviously that she likes me."

"You two have kissed, right?"

"Right."

Billie wished that could be the end. The conclusion. So he didn't have to pretend that he had no feelings for her, when in fact, he did. Strange, strange feelings that were almost completely new to him. But he knew what Mike wanted - a confession. Lips were not enough.

"Remi seemed fond of her at our last gig. Maybe we should invite her to our next one. You two seem pretty friendly when we are outside of school."

Billie's eyes lit up at the thought.

Billie's thoughts were exciting him. He couldn't wait to get home and start writing in his notebook. "Now there's an idea! Mike, you're brilliant."

"You okay Bill?"

"I'm perfect."

*

Billie made his way up the stairs for his last class of the day. Ever since lunch, he was eager to see Shayla and invite her to their next show.

"Armstrong!" A voice hollered behind him. He stopped and sighed.

"What?" He turned and faced Shayla's ex-boyfriend, Dave.

"I heard you talking to your lanky friend Mike today. I know what you're up to, punk!" He gave Billie a hard shove. Billie felt himself gulp.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about," he lied.

"Oh, yeah? That's how we're going to do this? You're going to lie? Fine, punk, but once I tell Shayla how you're playing her," he whispered. "She'll want nothing to do with you."

Billie felt his blood pumping inside of him. He clocked Dave in the chin.

"I would never hurt Shayla!" He yelled, stepping over Dave's fallen body. He grabbed the collar of his shirt and punched him again.

A crowd had formed now. Billie didn't take his eyes of Dave.

"Then what are you doing? You never showed an interest in her until lately! You've been with plenty of my buddies girls. Never looked once at mine. What changed? Oh, must be that you're playing her!" He yelled from Billie's grasp. Dave used all his force to shove Billie off of him.

Billie stumbled backward into someone in the crowd.

He huffed.

"You're fucking dead!" He roared, throwing himself at Dave.

"What's all this racket?" A high-pitch voice yelled. Someone pushed their way through the crowd and rolled her eyes at the sight.

"Armstrong, up!" The women yelled.

Billie, trusting his instinct, pushed off Dave before anymore harm could be done. He turned toward his Chemistry teacher and smiled guiltily.

"Class. Now." She pointed behind her.

Billie, before, was feeling great about seeing Shayla. Now he worried that whenever he saw her next, he would be the one getting the punching.