The Bet

Pretty Girls Make Graves.

Shayla couldn't sleep that night. Her mind kept replaying the moment after school in the hallway. Billie got them to move, momentarily, before offering to fight for her. She knew it was crazy, but could he care about her?

No.

It was Billie Joe Armstrong, after all. Pinole Valley's most famous stoner and girl chaser. She witnessed first-hand his over-eager attraction to the opposite sex.

No, he was trying to get to her. Like all the others. But she wasn't going to fall for it.

She rolled over onto her side, her tired eyes looking out to the silent street. Was she ever going to get her escape?

*

Billie was drunk. He swayed as he stabbed the front door with his house key. It was too dark to see for the porch light had burned out.

"Come on, mother-fucker," He cursed the key and he swayed too far to the right he lost his balance; carving a line into the door as he fell onto his ass.

Noise was heard from inside and Billie's mother appeared in the darkness.

"Billie Joe, what are you doing?" She shrieked, jumping at her son's presence. He giggled, looking up at his mother through glassy eyes. His mind was spinning and he was content.

"Mama! You got the door open!" He extended his arms toward the door.

Ollie knew right away that her son was drunk. She sighed, connecting her hands with his to help him up.

"Billie Joe, are you aware of the time?" She scowled.

"Of course!"

As he planted his feet on the white painted porch, his mother shook her head in disappointment.

"Billie Joe, just got to bed. It's only Wednesday night, for heavens sake."

Despite his current state of mind, Billie knew he had once again let his mother down. He wanted to apologize, be the son she deserved, but deep down he knew he was too late.

*

His head was pounding as he walked up the front steps of the school. He had bags under his eyes and he just wanted to turn around and go home.

She walked with her arms wrapped around her waist. She was craving alone time, but Dave would be finding her soon. They always met up in the morning.

"Good morning, babe," His soft voice cooed in her ear and it tickled her skin. Her curls fell into her face as she turned to greet her boyfriend.

"Hey," She murmured, brushing her hair back.

He wrapped his muscular arms around her waist. She winced at the sudden pain.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

He pulled away from her frail body and furrowed his eyebrows as he started lifting up her black tee.

"Dave, stop," She pleaded, pulling her shirt down. He grabbed onto her wrist and twisted tightly.

"What's going on?" Dave demanded.

"Nothing. Let go of me." She yanked her arm out of his grasp but hit the metal locker, causing attention.

"Don't embarrass me, Shay!" He hissed through gritted teeth.

"Then don't grab at me!" She yelled, nursing her wrist as she shoved past her boyfriend.

Billie watched from a distance as Shayla shoved past Dave. He grabbed at her belt loop but she scratched his fingers.

"A happy couple my ass," Billie muttered under his breath.

Billie watched her continue to rub her wrist as she made her way down the white hallway. The fluorescent lights made it look as there were a halo over her head. A broken angel.

She didn't meet his eyes as she passed - she craved to be back in bed. Dave had been violent in the past, and if he wasn't there for her, who was?
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I promised this yesterday, but I have horrible sleeping habits. I ditched school after second period yesterday to come home and sleep from being up all night.