Exhaustion

The Beginning

Draco Malfoy made his way through the nearly deserted corridor. He spotted Granger ahead, but tried not to look at her. Since their seventh year began, and they'd been appointed Head Boy and Girl, they were attempting to act civil - which generally meant ignoring each other.

But just when they were passing in the hall, she began to sway, and his instincts took over. Before he knew it, Hermione Granger was unconscious in his arms.

Shocked, he looked down at her. Her face was pale and she had dark circles under her eyes. He thought she weighed less than she should. As he looked over her, the only movement he saw was the slight rise and fall of her chest with her breath. He stared at her for a few minutes, at a loss of what to do. Finally he cradled her in his arms. Because he was fit from Quidditch, and she was so light, he had no trouble carrying her to their common room. At the portrait he muttered a quick "Draconis Maxima" and awkwardly climbed through.

He set her down – none too gently – on the couch. Opening her bedroom door seemed like too much work.

As he looked her over again, an uneasiness settled over him. She looked even paler than she had before, though he hadn't though that possible. A small jolt of panic rushed through him – Should I have taken her to the hospital wing? Is she going to die? – but was quickly over once he pulled out his wand.

"Ennervate!"

The brunette roused slightly, and her eyes opened for a few seconds, before she fell limp again. Confused, with panic slowly returning, Draco wracked his brain for something that might return her consciousness.

He spotted the remnants of his breakfast on the table. He had woken late and eaten breakfast in the common room, and hadn't bothered to clean up. He grabbed a piece of toast – stale now – and sniffed it. Smells like bread, he thought, and waved it under her nose.

She didn't stir.

Becoming increasingly more fretful, he sat dawn on the edge of the couch, next to her. Taking in her pale face once more, he grasped her face in his hands. He was alarmed by how cold her skin felt. He gently shook her face. "Wake up! Come on, Granger. Wake up!" The only movement she offered was he mouth falling open slightly. "Damn it," he whispered under his breath.

The glass of water on the table caught his eye. He grabbed it, trying not to spill any, and held the cup to her parted lips. Again, not wanting to spill, he placed a hand behind her neck to raise her head. Carefully, he poured the liquid into her mouth, making sure she swallowed. When her eyes began to flutter, he hastily put the glass on the table and took her face in his hands again. He stared intently, willing her to wake. His nose was inches from hers, and when she finally came to, her eyes stayed open.

Draco watched as her gaze moved from hazy to clear to confused. He was so relieved, he could have kissed her! She was conscious!

Granger suddenly pulled away and curled up in the corner of the couch, hugging her knees to her chest. Her sudden movement brought sanity crashing back down on Draco. He quickly stood up and moved away from the couch.

Was I just thinking about kissing Mudblood Granger?

He ran his hand through his hair and turned back to her. "Er… you okay?" He asked uncomfortably.

"Erm…no. What's going on?" Her eyes darted around the room.

"Well you, er, fainted, I guess… And I was there…" he trailed off. Her look was skeptical.

"Why aren't I in the hospital wing?"

"Well, I didn't think it was that serious, so I just brought you here."

Her suspicious gaze didn't falter, but she didn't respond. She did try to stand. When Draco saw her sway, he was by her side, gripping her firmly by the elbow, in three long strides.

"Erm… on second thought… I'm taking you to Madam Pomfrey."

"Why do you care what happens to me, Malfoy?" Her voice was harsh.

He was a bit taken aback – mostly because he himself didn't know why – but kept his grip on her elbow. "I don't want your death on my hands, Granger," he responded in a low snarl.

"Well my parents' are," she mumbled.

"What?" he asked, confused, though he knew he wasn't supposed to hear. Suddenly, despite his hold on her, she staggered, and he decided their priority was getting her to the hospital wing.

He helped her through the portrait hole and led her to the down the halls. He noticed that with each step, she seemed to be leaning on him more. They walked through the doors to the wing and found Madame Pomfrey bustling around a full infirmary.

Granger was almost unconscious again on his shoulder. "Madame Pomfrey!" he called, and the bustling witch turned.

"What is it?" she asked testily. "And it better be good! I'm swamped here and don't have time for trifles!"

"Madame Pomfrey," Draco said calmly, trying to charm the healing witch. "It's my fellow Head, here. She fainted in the corridor and lucky I was there to catch her. She woke when I gave her water, but now, she's fading again. Can you take a quick look and see what's wrong?" He put on his most innocent and mature face.

"Very well," she said with a sigh. "Sit over there and I'll be with you in a minute." She motioned to a few chairs by a bed with an unconscious student in it. Draco led Granger to a chair and she slumped into it. He chose to remain standing.

When Madame Pomfrey came back to examine Granger, the Head Girl was sleeping.

After looking over the student, Madame Pomfrey turned to Draco. "Tell me again what happened."

Draco told her he'd been walking down the halls and she fell into his arms when he passed her. "I carried her to our common room and tried to wake her up. She didn't move until I gave her some water. She swayed again when she tried to stand and I thought I should bring her here."

The nurse made some affirming noises and pulled out her wand. "Accio Pumpkin Juice!" A goblet of the juice came flying through the air, and Madame Pomfrey held it under the brunette's nose. Granger was roused from her slumber and Pomfrey handed her the goblet.

"I'm afraid I can't do much for you. Magic can't replace good old food and drink. And sleep. I don't have any empty beds, but your Head quarters are well equipped. Stay in bed, get enough sleep, eat and drink enough, and you should be over this by Monday. But you need to keep it up. If you feel faint at all during the school day, see me."

Granger gave a dejected nod and finished the pumpkin juice. Pomfrey addressed Draco. "Look after her," she said simply. She left to attend a moaning patient.

Draco was surprised he was being charged with taking care of the Head Girl, but he tried not to let it show. He reached for her arm, but she jerked it away from him. "What are you doing Malfoy?"

"Didn't you hear? I'm to look after you," he said mockingly.

"I can look after myself."

He bit back a yeah, right, and watched her stand. This time she was steady.

"After you," he gestured. He followed her out of the hospital wing and down to corridors, heading for their common room. As they kept walking, he could see her begin to droop. When he took her arm, she didn't say anything. She began leaning on him subconsciously as she had before. Suddenly, Draco cradled her as he had when she had passed out. He surprised both himself and her, he was sure, but she still didn't comment. She fell asleep with her head on his shoulder.